Heaven Society - Week 17 (Beyond the boundary & Angel Beats)

LTTAnimeClubHeavenSociety-Header.png

This Weeks Animes!

Beyond the boundary & Angel Beats

yd472ld.jpg

Beyond the boundary

Synopsis
Akihito Kanbara is a high school sophomore in the literature club who believes himself to be a "Meganest", and although he appears to be human, he is actually half Yomu, which makes him invulnerable to wounds, due to the fact that he can heal so quickly, and also immortal. One day, Akihito meets freshman Mirai Kuriyama when it appears as if she is about to attempt suicide by jumping off of the school rooftop. Mirai is isolated because of her ability to manipulate blood, which is considered heresy even among other members of the underworld, so she is shunned. Soon after Akihito saves Mirai, disturbing events begin to arise.
Read more at ANN

Link to Watch Beyond the boundary
hulu

7kNSRdH.jpg

Angel Beats

Synopsis
Otonashi awakens only to learn he is dead. A rifle-toting girl named Yuri explains that they are in the afterlife, and Otonashi realizes the only thing he can remember about himself is his name. Yuri tells him that she leads the Shinda Sekai Sensen (Afterlife Battlefront) and wages war against a girl named Tenshi. Unable to believe Yuri's claims that Tenshi is evil, Otonashi attempts to speak with her, but the encounter doesn't go as he intended.

Otonashi decides to join the SSS and battle Tenshi, but he finds himself oddly drawn to her. While trying to regain his memories and understand Tenshi, he gradually unravels the mysteries of the afterlife.
Read more at MAL

Link to Watch Angel Beats
hulu

Member Tags

@Luclocke @MyInnerFred @RainColt @TheProfosist @Rockmandash12 @CatCloud @Charger @ @Jaybird @Cryptonite @DarkCrow @EChondo @killers993 @Epitome @GokuLy @lutewan @Izaya Orihara @squirrl @oc0110 @Legion @Laforet @Admire @yurihellsing @EmotionalSloth @Katsu-K1L @TetraSky @Ivyk @Typho @TheGFXNovice @Fruits Punch Samurai G @frustratedrocka @Purple Spy @Sky Daddy @Adamu @Smiles1946 @GloriousPain @gastew15 @Vitalius @Le Lion de Barreras @Kagami Tsukino @DigitalHermit @Unbr34k4bl3 @Noire @Randomacts @c3p0 @Rashy @ThyFeared @That Norwegian Guy @ThyFeared @wng_kingsley7 @Trogdor8freebird @Rising

If you're interested in becoming a member please head over to the main club thread for more information.

These anime were selected from a poll that is generated from a list of suggested anime from the Anime Suggestion Submission thread. If there is any anime you think the club should watch and discuss please suggest it there.

Beyond the boundary is a short anime that some how crams a love story and plenty of action as well as a full over arching story in it and comedy is sprinkled on top; inshort it's all that and a bag of chips and you can watch it easily in a single day.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Oh man, Angel Beats I already dropped after 6 episodes and not looking back, really did not care for it. Gave me that queer gut feeling that Twilight gives me.

Will watch the other one!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Oh man, Angel Beats I already dropped after 6 episodes and not looking back, really did not care for it. Gave me that queer gut feeling that Twilight gives me.

WATCH IT YOU DIRTY SON OF A ***** :P 

Nah. It's really good tho. 

watched angel beats twice already, will watch the other one.

My opinion on angel beats? I watched it twice within a timespan of two months last year. what do you think?

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

watched angel beats twice already, will watch the other one.

My opinion on angel beats? I watched it twice within a timespan of two months last year. what do you think?

It felt constructed to me, characters weren't authentic, the setting was a tad cliché, the underlying philosophical pretension was to me very cringeworthy and everything was packaged up in a kind of focus-tested-for-teens bland production. I barely found anything to like about it at all.

I like my anime more down to earth, or at least when fantasy or sci-fi is involved, that it is kept subtle and mysterious (for example Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya or Kokoro Connect) rather than in-your-face and preposterous, (unless it's for comedic effect) like with oversized swords and huge wings and oversaturated colour palettes.

But then again, I'm allergic to JRPGs so I'm probably just allergic to these kinds of anime as well.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Alright. So Angel Beats...I remember liking this after finding a clip on youtube claiming it to be the saddest scene in animé and it arguably is, but upon review I found that the english dub is awful and perhaps the first time around I had watched the sub (I doubt it because I would have wanted to work out while watching it so if a dub was available I would have chose that.) So this is my conclusion, the first episodes are fun and forgettable, they are filler over shadowed by the one great scene in the series which adds emotional resonance to the song played which is then used to carry the last few episodes. It feels like the writer had this one powerful scene in mind and wrote the other episodes simply as a means to an end and the end achieved is a conspicuous peak in story writing that...well its like going to a pizza place that sold you because you remember that the pizza you got there was the best in town but now that your there again you remember that the place had a distinct but subtle aroma of shit, that distinct smell is what the first episodes are, they are tolerable but but an off putting scar on a great pizza experience, if you want the best experience from this pizza parlour might I suggest delivery. Read a synopsis and watch the one good episode.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Angel Beats is a good one but it's not a masterpiece imo. The characters are well written and I'm disappointed that they didn't go into each character's backstory deep enough to do them justice... I might've enjoyed it more if it was longer (24/48 ep like Clannad)... It does the feels relatively well but this is Key that we are talking about.

Kyoukai no Kanata is a mixed bag... There's this sense of internal conflict for 2 of the main characters, which was well executed imo. ep1 sold me and ep6 is it's low point... Story-wise, the flow is smooth but the ending is open... I'd like a season 2 just to see the story be completed...

I marathon-ed through Angel Beats last week and i enjoyed it. it started out a bit slow in my opinion but it got better, overall one of the better anime's I've watched.

spoilers within:

one major issue i had with it though was the contradictions... how could the main character have entered into the After-life world AFTER Tenshi if Tenshi was alive far longer than the main character was >_>?

the ending was packed with feels though.

I'm excited to go watch Beyond the Boundary though :o i have my Frito's and soda ready for a straight run through!

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights"

Already seen both and still have Kyoukai no Kanata on my drive, so I guess I'm gonna rewatch it if I have the time. Though the soundtrack of Angel Beat is great, the story felt a bit... rushed? At least compared to other KEY animations. I guess that's what happen when you come up with an original title for only 12 episode... can't wait for the VN of it, though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I marathon-ed through Angel Beats last week and i enjoyed it. it started out a bit slow in my opinion but it got better, overall one of the better anime's I've watched.

spoilers within:

one major issue i had with it though was the contradictions... how could the main character have entered into the After-life world AFTER Tenshi if Tenshi was alive far longer than the main character was >_>?

I'm excited to go watch Beyond the Boundary though :o i have my Frito's and soda ready for a straight run through!

I think it has something to do with a part of him still being alive... When Tenshi crossed over to the other side, that's when he was pulled in... But... Tenshi appears to have been there longer than him...

Weird...

I'm waiting for the VN now to see how they clear up contradictions...

After watching Angel Beats and finding that I really didn't like it I kind of wanted to not like beyond the boundary again but I loved it...every episode of it I loved it, it is really good and i'm still trying to find something in it that I don't like.

Kyoukai no Kanata is a mixed bag... There's this sense of internal conflict for 2 of the main characters, which was well executed imo. ep1 sold me and ep6 is it's low point... Story-wise, the flow is smooth but the ending is open... I'd like a season 2 just to see the story be completed...

I loved episode 6. It was unapologetically a filler episode but is so stupid I can't help but smile at it.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

I think it has something to do with a part of him still being alive... When Tenshi crossed over to the other side, that's when he was pulled in... But... Tenshi appears to have been there longer than him...

Weird...

I'm waiting for the VN now to see how they clear up contradictions...

Spoilers:

Thats a good point! all of his organs were donated... so Tenshi could die.. but his other organs live on in various people. its not until his last organ dies that he is truly dead! so technically he could have lived much longer than Tenshi. (Your welcome Angel Beats creators) xD

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights"

Spoilers:

Thats a good point! all of his organs were donated... so Tenshi could die.. but his other organs live on in various people. its not until his last organ dies that he is truly dead! so technically he could have lived much longer than Tenshi. (Your welcome Angel Beats creators) xD

You just solved it for me... Hahaha... I forgot that part...

AB is no where near as bad as Twilight.

It's mostly funny; with the "feels" being the most disappointing for Key-related work.

spoilers within:

You need Clannad...etc.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

spoilers within:

one of the main hypothetical theories is that the mc was brought back simply to fulfill tenshi's wish. if not she can never move on.

the break in the timeline suggests that the mc was in some state of limbo of sorts or the fact that he was forced into the place, his amnesia being a clue. If you notice, the mc can actually leave at any point he wants because he actually fulfilled his wish before he died, so it's highly likely that he was brought to the place just for her.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

one of the main hypothetical theories is that the mc was brought back simply to fulfill tenshi's wish. if not she can never move on.

the break in the timeline suggests that the mc was in some state of limbo of sorts or the fact that he was forced into the place, his amnesia being a clue. If you notice, the mc can actually leave at any point he wants because he actually fulfilled his wish before he died, so it's highly likely that he was brought to the place just for her.

yeah, he didn't belong there and was an odd one out iirc it was even mentioned that he did not belong there because he had his wishes fulfilled before he died, IMHO this anime is a lot better the easier you perceive and understand other people's situations, it wasn't made for everyone but for the target audience the anime was amazing. I came to the same conclusion you did after seeing the two of them find eachother again in a new life at the end of the series, without that scene the anime imo would not have been complete
Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

yeah, he didn't belong there and was an odd one out iirc it was even mentioned that he did not belong there because he had his wishes fulfilled before he died, IMHO this anime is a lot better the easier you perceive and understand other people's situations, it wasn't made for everyone but for the target audience the anime was amazing. I came to the same conclusion you did after seeing the two of them find eachother again in a new life at the end of the series, without that scene the anime imo would not have been complete

the show had a lot more it could offer, like going into detail about the main cast back stories etc, but it could have made the story drag on so I think it was better the way it was.

oh dem feels, just by thinking about the show.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

the show had a lot more it could offer, like going into detail about the main cast back stories etc, but it could have made the story drag on so I think it was better the way it was.

yeah, I'd prefer they do these in seperate arcs, they can still do that if they want anyway.

Spoiler

Let´s se AB..its 13 episodes long and making it 18-26 would could be draging it out? i smell an error somewhere. Normally a 12 ep long anime is cut down due do budget or something and could have been twice as long without feeling Draged out unless the show was deliberately made that way. 

I´ve seen a fair number of 12-13 ep short animes and man it always felt like something is missing. Even the longer ones like Air Gear and Tenjou Tenge made me go EFF THIS and jump in the Manga because I NEED MOAR

I´ll try and get down to watching this two on friday when and if i have some free time.....Battlestar Galactica wont end T-T geez. 

Let´s se AB..its 13 episodes long and making it 18-26 would could be draging it out? i smell an error somewhere. Normally a 12 ep long anime is cut down due do budget or something and could have been twice as long without feeling Draged out unless the show was deliberately made that way. 

I´ve seen a fair number of 12-13 ep short animes and man it always felt like something is missing. Even the longer ones like Air Gear and Tenjou Tenge made me go EFF THIS and jump in the Manga because I NEED MOAR

I´ll try and get down to watching this two on friday when and if i have some free time.....Battlestar Galactica wont end T-T geez.

Making it 18-26 would give it enough time to actually flesh out more characters before sending them away after one entire episode of background sadstory.

Air Gear, on the other hand...it isn't going to have a coherent plot no matter how many episodes it had.

Yes I did read the manga; half way through the manga, I gave up on taking it seriously.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Indeed.

Making it 18-26 would give it enough time to actually flesh out more characters before sending them away after one entire episode of background sadstory.

having more episode would've been nice, but if the pacing was wrong, it would've made it worse, that's what i feel.

still, i agree that more episodes would've given more time for the char to develop. However, i'd rather it be short if they were simply forcing the series into 24ep without much material.