Performance difference between Intel and AMD

Hello,

I am looking to get a new laptop and I have a choice between an Intel or an AMD machine. I am going to be using it for Adobe Creative Cloud products, mainly Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver. Plus, I will need to have multiple browsers and browser tabs open and running at the same time. 

I noticed that AMD machines can be quite cheaper, but I don't know how they would hold up for what I need it for. For instance, I found this HP Envy that looks like this:

HP ENVY 15" 15-j173cl Notebook

AMD A-Series A10-5750M (2.50GHz)

12GB Memory

1TB HDD

15.6" Touchscreen 1920 x 1080 resolution

Windows 8 64-Bit

Price: $499

I have heard bad things about HP and Dell. I have also had some suggestions on this site to stick with Lenovo and Asus. However, something like the HP Envy looks like something I can use and perhaps handle the tasks I need it to handle. I have not owned an AMD or an HP product, so I don't know.

I am having a tough time trying to decide.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

Get Intel, especially in a laptop.

What's your actual budget?

It would be better to have an intel laptop for those things. or atleast a kaveri based laptop. (7000 series)

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

well i assume you look in the lower price range of laptops.

In which in my opinnion AMD could be the better choice, because of its better APU performance.

Something like a Kaveri based laptop could be nice.

Get Intel, especially in a laptop.

What's your actual budget?

It is going to have to be around $600. 

It would be better to have an intel laptop for those things. or atleast a kaveri based laptop. (7000 series)

So, you don't think it will do the job?

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

well i assume you look in the lower price range of laptops.

In which in my opinnion AMD could be the better choice, because of its better APU performance.

Yeah, my budget is not that big...about $600.

It is going to have to be around $600. 

So, you don't think it will do the job?

you could find an i5 in that area.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

you could also look at a used laptop.

Maybe you are able to buy a used laptop with better specs for arround the same price, as a new lower spec laptop.

You could offcourse look for an i5 based laptop, this will offcourse help some in rendering.

Still the igpu performance is not as good as amd´s apu´s like kaveri.

But if your main concern is rendering, this still relays more on the cpu speed.

So an i5 based laptop will probably be better at rendering.

I just can't justify AMD any more these days. The gulf is simply growing to vast...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I just can't justify AMD any more these days. The gulf is simply growing to vast...

Why not?

i mean we dont talk about desktops here right?

you could also look at a used laptop.

Maybe you are able to buy a used laptop with better specs for arround the same price, as a new lower spec laptop.

You could offcourse look for an i5 based laptop, this will offcourse help some in rendering.

Still the igpu performance is not as good as amd´s apu´s like kaveri.

But if your main concern is rendering, this still relays more on the cpu speed.

So an i5 based laptop will probably be better at rendering.

Yeah, all that I will be using it for is what I stated in the OP. I will be streaming/watching/listening to media files, as well. I don't know if that makes a difference. It looks like I am going to try and find an Intel CPU based laptop. Now, what brand?

Nothing against AMD, (no fanboy-ism) but Intel is just simply better , no ifs ands or buts....

CPU: i7 4790k OC'd @ 4.6 ghz COOLER: Corsair H105 (SP 120mm Quiet Edition Fans) MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD Burner OS: Win 7 64bit   Please do some research of your own before asking questions. Google and Youtube are your friend.

Get Intel.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Intel all the way baby.

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz

Yeah, all that I will be using it for is what I stated in the OP. I will be streaming/watching/listening to media files, as well. I don't know if that makes a difference. It looks like I am going to try and find an Intel CPU based laptop. Now, what brand?

I would personaly advice to grab something like an Asus or Msi laptop.

I´m personaly not realy a fan of commercial brands like HP, compaq, packardbell, and all that crap.

Because theire pre installed software is allways balls. :P

I would personaly advice to grab something like an Asus or Msi laptop.

I´m personaly not realy a fan of commercial brands like HP, compaq, packardbell, and all that crap.

Because theire pre installed software is allways balls. :P

That is very true. I am going to check out Asus and Lenovo. I did see some pretty decent MSI's with decent specs and prices. I know that MSI puts out GPUS and stuff, but until I started researching laptops, I did not know that they were in the laptop market. And,I noticed the same thing with Gigabyte.

Nothing against AMD, (no fanboy-ism) but Intel is just simply better , no ifs ands or buts....

Given my budget, I don't know if I should go for a dual core i5, or the i7.

Try get a used i7 QM laptop.

The mobile i3s and i5s are basically the same i5 just has turbo.

Intel's mobile line is confusing. People buy a laptop with an i7 thinking it's high end but they actually just picked up a ULV dual core with standard i3 performance.

I know that this is the CPU forum, but since we started rolling with it, I figured I would stick with it.

So, I upped my budget a bit. I ran across this HP:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29P1ZC0731

I know that we have discussed HP, and there seems to be some gripes. All that I am looking at is the price/performance here. If I can find another deal like this with Lenovo or Asus, I would probably lean that way. Anyhow, what do you all think about this? Is this a good deal?

I upped my budget yet again:

Here is what I am looking at now. What do you think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231974

I upped my budget yet again:

Here is what I am looking at now. What do you think? 

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834231974

At a cursory glance that seems like a fine laptop.  It really comes down to personal taste here. It'll do everything you want but I notice some people griping about the keyboard in the reviews. Definitely ASUS or MSI brand over HP and Dell.

As for the AMD vs Intel debate Intel is definitely superior. However, AMD produces a quality chip at a reasonable price.  In reality the difference isn't that much.  You're shaving seconds and minutes off of intensive processes and some fps in game by going Intel over AMD.  

Fx-6300 @4.4Ghz  -  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  -  Sapphire Dual-X R9 280 @1100/1325mhz  -  16Gb of GSkill Sniper Series Ram @1866mhz  -  EVGA SuperNova G2 750w Psu

You're shaving seconds and minutes off of intensive processes and some fps in game by going Intel over AMD.  

Based on what? Seems like you're one of those that accuse benchmarks being false when they show a big difference between the two.

Based on what? Seems like you're one of those that accuse benchmarks being false when they show a big difference between the two.

All I'm saying is that a higher end AMD cpu will get the job done.  It may take a bit longer or lose some fps in game but it'll do it.  

What benchmarks are you looking at?

Fx-6300 @4.4Ghz  -  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  -  Sapphire Dual-X R9 280 @1100/1325mhz  -  16Gb of GSkill Sniper Series Ram @1866mhz  -  EVGA SuperNova G2 750w Psu

What do you guys think of this one for $650?

Asus ROG G75VW Gaming Laptop

i7 3610qm processor

16gb 1600MHz Ram

240gb SSD Crucial Hard Drive

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M 2gb

All I'm saying is that a higher end AMD cpu will get the job done.  It may take a bit longer or lose some fps in game but it'll do it.  

What benchmarks are you looking at?

Just browse through my posts if you're interested in benchmarks. Getting the job done is a different story than what the difference is between AMD & Intel. In terms of price/performance, especially for cpu bound games (only games where you'd see a performance difference) Intel offers a much better value for the price. AMD's multithreaded performance/price means nothing when it comes down to gaming.

AMD is atm too expensive, you pay a hefty price for its performance though when you have an equivalent for each of their model at the same price. Put the average gaming performance over price that's how you get a performance/price ratio and not just copypasting misinformation. You must be living a different world if you think there's only one or two fps difference in CPU limited games, let alone theyre taking advantage of 8 threads

What do you guys think of this one for $650?

Asus ROG G75VW Gaming Laptop

i7 3610qm processor

16gb 1600MHz Ram

240gb SSD Crucial Hard Drive

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M 2gb

Thats looks like a nice laptop to me

Thats looks like a nice laptop to me

Thank you for your response!

Let me ask you this:

Okay, so I think I have a pretty good deal on the Asus ROG i7 3610qm/16 GBS/256 SSD/660m, for $650. I think that this laptop will do everything that I need it to do. If anyone thinks that it cannot, please let me know.

Looking on Newegg, there are newer versions of the Asus ROG that include the Haswell i7/12 GB RAM/750 7200 HDD/840m, that can roughly cost $900.

I am considering a new laptop because of the warranty and longevity. However, and correct me if I am wrong, the used Asus ROG actually has pretty good specs and I think may even be faster in the applications department because of the SSD and RAM.

Is it worth it to get the new laptop or just stick with the used one? Is the Haswell CPU that much better to have than the Ivy Bridge? Will there be that much of a difference between the 660m and the 840m? I mean, I know that the 840m is a newer card and will play games better, but I will not be doing much gaming, if at all. Finally, do you think that the used laptop will stay "relevant" for what I need it to do for years to come? Again, I know that we cannot predict the future of Adobe CC or anything, just trying to get some input.

Thank you very much for your help!