Make glossy plastic look nice

But I like my glossy stuff :(

So do I, until they get all messy... Which happens within at least one minute of using the stupid thing ;)

Therefore we make all the glossy stuff look like brushed aluminum which is beautiful too! :)

Or maybe I'm just very messy, that might be it too...

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

Time to do this to everything I own that is gloss black. I despise glossy finishes as they make a product look so cheap and unappealing.  

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Honestly I just need to reply to this as a professional, this is so simple yet little know it is silly. No clue why the "brushed" look became so popular but made my life easier in so many ways, happens in every generation I'm sure.

btw you can re-brush your scratch up brush to make it look brushed again.

Please guy post results here, I'm totally sceptic about it, I think it will just look scratched and ruined!

OS: Windows 10 - Kubuntu 15.10 - Mac OSX El Capitan  CPU: i7 4790 @ 4.00GHz  MOBO: AsRock H97M Pro4  RAM: 4x 8GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz  GPU: VTX3D R9-280 X-Edition  CASE: iTek Spacebox w/ Arctic Fans  PSU: Corsair X750M  SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo  HDD: 3TB Western Digital WD30EZRX  DISPLAY: 3x Acer P193W  MOUSE: 5$ Chinese  TOUCHPAD: Logitech T650 Touchpad  KEYBOARD: Perixx Px-5200 w/Mx-Blues

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool. I have the glossy xbox 360s laying about and Im heavily considering giving it this treatment FOR SCIENCE!

another great option is plastidip, gives a nice rubberized coating and it is durable

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Is that green thing that excists on the sponge of the opposite side? Or is it something entirely difrent?

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

Is that green thing that excists on the sponge of the opposite side? Or is it something entirely difrent?

11schsp30100140-schuurspons.jpg

I was thinking the same, I have like 5 of those in the house...

Interested in Business and Technology

Can this be used on NZXT s340 case?

Someone try this

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

11schsp30100140-schuurspons.jpg

I was thinking the same, I have like 5 of those in the house...

It does work. I have updated the OP using the exact thing so thanks for the tip actually.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

Please guy post results here, I'm totally sceptic about it, I think it will just look scratched and ruined!

I have done this now. Updated OP. It does kind of look scratched in the pictures but it doesn't look like that at all IRL. In reality you are scratching the device but it is done so small so you can't see it even with your eyes just a few cm away from the device.  Mostly because you can't really have your eyes close enough to see it and still have them focus (I think that is the reason... ;) I cannot see any scratches at least. Just a nice looking device.)

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

It does work. I have updated the OP using the exact thing so thanks for the tip actually.

Nice

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

You realize that now im looking all over my room for glossy thigs?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Okay so I've tried it on a glossy asus charger and here is the outcome:

Brushed aluminum look on an Asus charger: http://youtu.be/fWlKgTtUsNo

As you can see the front is really nice but the side messy. This is due to A. It being a little askew so the lines are not straight and B. I brushed it horizontally but vertical does look much better. Also I didn't clean it yet with that glass cleaner stuff. Just used a microfiber cleaning cloth. I will clean it soon and post pictures of it if it improves the look. I may consider doing this on my glossy Acer laptop but because its blue it might look a little too fake. Also I just used the sponge and it worked fine.

Ok, I've tried a charger with a regular sponge with a rough side which you use to wash your dishes. Didn't work. Effect was gone after i washed it with soap. I'd use something that's made to remove burned fat or in deed a sand paper with 1000 grain or more.

who cares...

Ok, I've tried a charger with a regular sponge with a rough side which you use to wash your dishes. Didn't work. Effect was gone after i washed it with soap. I'd use something that's made to remove burned fat or in deed a sand paper with 1000 grain or more.

Did you use the same type of sponge thing I did? If you look in the first post, I have a picture of a yellow sponge with a rougher green side next to the Logitech receiver. If you did use this, it really has to be extremely dry when you do it (at least mine was). I think making it moist will make the scratching effect go away somewhat.

But just to make sure, since I had only cleaned my device off with water after completing the "make it nice" process. I took it out again now and cleaned it off with soap and water again and really scrubbed with a normal paper towel to see if I could get it to go away. But the brushed look was still there.

So if you did use the same thing as I, I guess all I can say is to try again and make sure it is really dry. Also, maybe try and go for a bit longer this time? Maybe you stopped too early, making the scratches almost not even there (but I don't know so I would only do it if it felt like it was right).

On a side note, in the video by Snazzy labs, he says to not use sand paper since that, according to him, looks more scratched than nice. I haven't tried it but just wanted to tell you just in case you forgot or missed it when he said it in the video.

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

I will probably do my laptop soon but I will figure something out to get it completely straight also I will use something more heavy duty.

I will probably do my laptop soon but I will figure something out to get it completely straight also I will use something more heavy duty.

Yeah, you probably want to get everything as straight as possible! Especially with something like a laptop that you use a lot and it is something others see often.

It would be cool to see the "finished product", if you decide to do it. :)

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

You realize that now im looking all over my room for glossy thigs?

same :D just looked at my monitor and wondered whether it is a thin film of plastic or a thick layer. 

samsung-syncmaster-p2770hd.jpg

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

same :D just looked at my monitor and wondered whether it is a thin film of plastic or a thick layer.

Posted Image

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Did you use the same type of sponge thing I did? If you look in the first post, I have a picture of a yellow sponge with a rougher green side next to the Logitech receiver. If you did use this, it really has to be extremely dry when you do it (at least mine was). I think making it moist will make the scratching effect go away somewhat.

But just to make sure, since I had only cleaned my device off with water after completing the "make it nice" process. I took it out again now and cleaned it off with soap and water again and really scrubbed with a normal paper towel to see if I could get it to go away. But the brushed look was still there.

So if you did use the same thing as I, I guess all I can say is to try again and make sure it is really dry. Also, maybe try and go for a bit longer this time? Maybe you stopped too early, making the scratches almost not even there (but I don't know so I would only do it if it felt like it was right).

On a side note, in the video by Snazzy labs, he says to not use sand paper since that, according to him, looks more scratched than nice. I haven't tried it but just wanted to tell you just in case you forgot or missed it when he said it in the video.

I had the same sponge, dry. But mine was fucked up already. Will try with a fresh one. Tomorrow.

@virtualTune Thanks for pointing that out, my Monitor will be my next target, once i manage to fine tune my technique.

who cares...

wat?

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

I'm really tempted to do this on my monitor

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll