Make glossy plastic look nice

So I just found this great video on Youtube by Snazzy Labs (so I didn't come up with this myself, just pointing that out...).

It basically is a method for making glossy plastic look like brushed aluminum. I should mention that I haven't tried it out myself yet so I cannot guarantee any results.

Maybe most of you know this already? But I just wanted to tell you if there is anyone out there who doesn't and hate that glossy plastic on their devices just as much as I do. ;)

All you need is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GAZ75W/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000GAZ75W&linkCode=as2&tag=that0d-20&linkId=LOENWTZ7JTS67GTC

And then something to clean it off with, in the video the guy uses a glass cleaner to make it clean from any plastic residue. You may need some electrical tape to cover up parts you may want to keep glossy (such as logos and such). But I would just recommend you watch the video to understand the entire process, he talks about pretty much everything I have. :)

Personally I think it looks really cool, at least if the device is black. I'm not so sure about a different colored device but that is something you'd just have to test I guess. But the black devices he shows in his video looks really nice!

EDIT:

So I've tested this myself now. I didn't use exactly what Snazzy Labs used since I didn't have it and I saw some speculations about if it would work with what I did use in the posts on the next page. So I used an old hub/charger for my old Logitech G930 headset and the following to make it look nice (I'm sorry for not referring the making nice looking thing by any name but I simply don't know what it is called...):

gcIaZxz.jpg

The thing I used to make it nice with (I'll call it X from now on. ;) ) was a bit old and had already been used so I was unsure if that was going to affect my result. But since I don't care about the receiver I did it anyways.

On all the usb ports (both cables and the usb in the middle), I put tape over to make sure I didn't get plastic residue in them. The logo I just went straight over. The tape for the usb hole in the middle I made sure was only inside of the hole and didn't go over any edges so that it didn't interfere with X when I made everything look nice.

This is how it looked directly after I stopped using X, without any cleaning with water or chemicals;

7NM56QW.jpg

As you can see there is quite a lot of residue from something (might be plastic but might also be from X) inside the usb hole in the middle. So the piece of tape really is necessary in my opinion. Also remember to do this somewhere you can easily clean stuff up. I was at my bathroom sink doing it to make sure everything could be taken care of easily.

This is how it looked when I had cleaned it off (Btw, I only cleaned it off using water. I don't think glass cleaner is needed). Another thing to note is that I really suck at taking pictures so I know that there is light on there but that was the only way for me to show anything. It was either that or complete darkness. Also, it does look mostly scratched up this close but when I look at it, it looks really good. I can't get near enough to see that it looks scratched. Also, the scratches the goes in the opposite direction from what X did, was there before I used X, but I can't see them either IRL. I just wanted to say this, so don't get afraid of doing this because of my pictures. It truly does look really good IRL.

OA4cWx2.jpg

So what are my thoughts on this?

It does actually look good, everyone who dislikes their stained glossy plastic should at least try it out on something they don't care about to see how cool this is!

I tried to put grease stains on it and when you REALLY try, of course it will work, but if you just pick it up with clean hands, you will NOT put fingerprints all over it! Which really is great.

I didn't use X for too long so I could maybe have gotten a better result or maybe a device that only looks scratched up (I stopped when I started to see the effect I wanted, maybe it could have been better but it could also have become a mess if I continued). That is why I recommend you to try this out on stuff you can mess up before you do it on your precious devices you do not want to ruin since there is no Undo.

So I guess now you guys have a test of this. But again, I do think you should try it on something you don't care about before something you do and if you are not satisfied or just need to practice more, then you'll know. You don't want to ruin a device like this.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

This video changed my life. I shall eliminate all of the glossy things I have or buy from now on.

Sounds about right.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

TSIG (ThatSnazzyiPhoneGuy, his old name before changing it to Snazzy Labs)? He was gone for two years, but I am happy to see that he is finally back.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

TSIG (ThatSnazzyiPhoneGuy, his old name before changing it to Snazzy Labs)? He was gone for two years, but I am happy to see that he is finally back.

Of course! I'm a fairly new viewer of him though.

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

Damn that brushed aluminum look looks fantastic. Though I'm too scared to use it myself because once done, it can never be undone I guess haha and I can already see myself making an ugly scratch.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

My god, this is perfect. How have I not known about this before? (rhetorical) Where's the cleaning cupboard, I'm sure I have some of those pads.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Damn that brushed aluminum look looks fantastic. Though I'm too scared to use it myself because once done, it can never be undone I guess haha and I can already see myself making an ugly scratch.

I guess that is the downside of it.

I'm thinking about collecting as much old glossy plastic parts/devices as I can that I don't care too much about if I damage to test and practice on. This way I'll see if I dare to do it for real on something I do care about or if it's too big of a risk to damage the surface permanently. Which I do not want on my things I use everyday even if the glossiness on them gets really greasy and easily stained quickly.

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

Holy shit, finally got home and could watch the video.

I will be doing this to my monitor, laptop and parts of my case.

Thank you.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

If I do this to a phone screen will it just become rubbish or will it looks premium xD

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

If I do this to a phone screen will it just become rubbish or will it looks premium xD

I believe it won't be so easy because phones usually are not that easy to scratch.... either way, if it ends up looking bad, just buy a case for it :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

I believe it won't be so easy because phones usually are not that easy to scratch.... either way, if it ends up looking bad, just buy a case for it :)

it was a joke xD, besides my G3 already has that anyhow

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

oh god, this is it.
my life is complete, mostly.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Hahaha, interesting :P I would like to try it on some old device just to see the result ;)

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

oh god, this is it.

my life is complete, mostly.

That pretty much sums it up.

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

Am I the only one that's known about this for a while...? :o

AND YOU DIDN'T TELL US o-o... whyyyyyyy

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K  | Motherboard Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1 | RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866mhz | GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0 | Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window | Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB |  PSU Corsiar RM750 | Display(s) Some Acer Things | Cooling Corsair H100i + 5x Noctua NF-F12 industrial 120mm fans(they are freaking load) | Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 |  Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound Audio-Technica AD900x + 02+ODAC +AT2020 | OS Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 

AND YOU DIDN'T TELL US o-o... whyyyyyyy

Because I assumed it's something people would know. My dad showed this to me 15 years ago. xD

Because I assumed it's something people would know. My dad showed this to me 15 years ago. xD

xD... 15, really? wow... errm... what else do you "know" :P

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K  | Motherboard Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1 | RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866mhz | GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0 | Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window | Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB |  PSU Corsiar RM750 | Display(s) Some Acer Things | Cooling Corsair H100i + 5x Noctua NF-F12 industrial 120mm fans(they are freaking load) | Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 |  Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound Audio-Technica AD900x + 02+ODAC +AT2020 | OS Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 

;) You'd be surprised.

Would you mind sharing them... Please?  ^_^

Scour pads are used to clean pots and pans. Ask your mum. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

But I like my glossy stuff :(

Then keep it glossy? 

Computer Specifications:

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses: