NCIX: http://bit.ly/YsdE2H

Amazon: http://geni.us/3Ikh

Wireless Xbox 360 Dongle

NCIX: http://bit.ly/ZflWv1

Amazon: http://geni.us/1T4o

Satechi F1 Smart Monitor Stand

NCIX: http://bit.ly/ZflZqy

Amazon: http://geni.us/2Voo

In the fifth installment of Handy Tech Under $100, Linus shows off three products that have proven to be surprisingly useful...

http://youtu.be/qD82TengMCU

What was the temperature of that Xbox controller? I bet very cold from the lack of use.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Love this series

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I brought a handy 16 bit, screw driver thats about as big as my hand.... best thing I ever brought for only 20$ this is pretty much one of my favourite series!

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I've always been looking for one of those Xbox 360 controller dongles, but I can never seem to find any in stock  :(

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Those Wireless Xbox 360 Dongles are pretty awesome. The range is far better than you'd expect, I can game on my Nexus 7 with my 360 controller, streaming from my PC which is upstairs and at least 20 metres away.

@LinusTech

Please please please review the Gunnar Optiks.  It is less than $100, and I think it would work perfect for this "Handy Tech Under $100 Segment"

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If the usb on the monitor stand was powered I would buy it in a heart beat. Also I love this series of videos.

Wait a second... This video is 4K! When did this start happening?!

Anything Edzel renders is 4K because his rig has always been beast... (a lot of Fast as Possible videos from the last month or two are 4K)

Not sure if everyone can render in 4K now... Hmm...

What was the temperature of that Xbox controller? I bet very cold from the lack of use.

A thousand or so degrees in the trash burner.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

For the laser thermometer, you can get one for around $15. http://www.dx.com/p/benetech-gm320-1-2-lcd-infrared-temperature-tester-thermometer-orange-black-2-x-aaa-228801#.VA7GNvmSxW0

The site is no amazon, but I use it all the time. (Especially considering Amazon is stupid expensive in Australia. $700 shipping for simple 500g objects), and you can get all kinds of great random tech things from there. Shipping usually takes a while, but considering its free, I'm not bothered.

Hello Luke (Linus),

The laser thermometer is already pretty cool, however I think investing in a thermal imaging camera could add a lot of value to your videos and reviews, as it is very accurate and shows hotspots and problems much much more accurately. I know they are quite expensive, but you might be able to get one used or use your connecitons with vendors. Perhaps do a review on it?

I think I saw Hardwarecanucks use one and I really liked it. please consider :)

Speaking of the 34um95. Would you be able to post how much display lag it has now that u have that tester?? This would be greatly apresiated!

Satechi F1 Smart Monitor Stand....

Keep an eye out for a little better alternative. Power USB 3.0, a little better build quality. I think it would be pretty sweet if it had just that little bit more. 

Speaking of the 34um95. Would you be able to post how much display lag it has now that u have that tester?? This would be greatly apresiated!

I bought that monitor on Linus recommendation and it is pretty awesome :). As for gaming fast fps are not that suitable (especially compared to my 144hz asus monitor). However playing games where pinpoint accuracy and speed is not paramount it is simply amazing. War Thunder, Smite, Guns of Icarus, Watch Dogs, Crysis 1, Civ 5 are a few examples I play on that monitor, because the aspect ration and the image quality is amazing. Games like Natural Selection 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and Bf3 I play on my gaming monitor. So depending on what you want to do, it can be very nice. Motion blur is not a big issue. input lagg is a bit higher than tn of course,  not horrible but noticable compared to a real gaming monitor on fast games. oh and it's not very overclockable, only got it to 61hz :P. So if you want to play CS GO/ quake exclusivly dont buy this, however if you are more of an rpg player and do photography or video editing like I do... GET IT :)

I bought that monitor on Linus recommendation and it is pretty awesome :). As for gaming fast fps are not that suitable (especially compared to my 144hz asus monitor). However playing games where pinpoint accuracy and speed is not paramount it is simply amazing. War Thunder, Smite, Guns of Icarus, Watch Dogs, Crysis 1, Civ 5 are a few examples I play on that monitor, because the aspect ration and the image quality is amazing. Games like Natural Selection 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and Bf3 I play on my gaming monitor. So depending on what you want to do, it can be very nice. Motion blur is not a big issue. input lagg is a bit higher than tn of course, not horrible but noticable compared to a real gaming monitor on fast games. oh and it's not very overclockable, only got it to 61hz :P. So if you want to play CS GO/ quake exclusivly dont buy this, however if you are more of an rpg player and do photography or video editing like I do... GET IT :)

Thanks so much for your reply! This info will really help!

@LinusTech, from a soon to be TechDad to an existing TechDad, any chance of reviewing some Kid related gadgets?  I.e. baby monitors and things.  I be more specific, but I'm not a dad yet and don't know what all is out there yet.  Thanks.

I actually find all tree pretty interesting maybe the monitor-stand-thingy is not that great and you could I suppose build your own quite easily.

anyway thanks @Linus and crew for this review.

Ew, that X360 controller, though... I honestly will never understand why people love that thing so much (and often times go all fanboy mode over it). It's heavier than pretty much any controller out there for some odd reason, it's bulky and thus rather uncomfortable, it's got the worst D-pad to have ever existed, it runs on fucking AA batteries (or an awful nickel battery pack) that creates an awful and uncomfortable bulge in the back, AND it requires an extra proprietary dongle to work wireless. Why the heck, then, does people love that thing so much? .-.

I have the Satechi monitor stand you mentioned. The audio ports did not work properly, and the cables they used for them are very cheap. Like Linus said, the USB are not powered, so I only have powered devices attached. Over time a little bend has occurred with the Acer H233H monitor on it, I did not put the Mac on it. It works enough to have my external HDD and external DVD-Rom drive under it, but I do wish it was slightly taller. Not bad for the price, but am waiting to see if a better one comes out, would be nice to see one with a powered USB hub on it. 

kJMiTVt.jpg?1

Really looking for something like the Satechi stand. Too bad about the lack of powered USB and build quality. However, the black version looks much nicer than that ugly white/green. Still thinking about getting that one. Anyone have a better alternative?

Workstation: i7-4930k | Asus Rampage IV Gene | Reference GTX 780 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | Corsair RM650 | MidNight Black BitFenix Prodigy M

Old Rigi5-2500k @ 4.7 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | EVGA GTX 560 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | 240 GB Samsung 830 Pro | 1TB Hitachi | CoolerMaster Storm Scout (1)