Intel Stock cooler, temporary solution for 4790k?

Sentien
Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

is this risky to use even temporarily for gaming/light testing whilst I wait?

Of course not :) the stock cooler's problem is not that it doesn't work, but rather that it gets noisy and doesn't perform well if you oc. At stock clock speeds, the stock cooler will be more than fine. If your cpu fries because it doesn't work properly the warranty covers it, because it's not supposed to and 99.9% of the time it doesn't.

I know, I know, I know... I shouldnt even be buying the retail version of the 4790k but its the same price as the tray version!

Fortunately this has an added benefit, the NZXT Kraken X61 I originally wanted to use is not yet released in the EU (hopefully end September) so until then the only option I have without spending more of my budget money is using the Intel stock heatsink and fan, of course I wont be OCing or doing anything extreme until the X61 is fitted, but my question is is this risky to use even temporarily for gaming/light testing whilst I wait?

I'm struggling to find reviews of stock coolers on top tier CPU's (no wonder really) so any information would be appreciated!

it'll be hot because it's factory overclocked to 4.0ghz out of the box.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It'll be a little on the warmer side but it won't kill the chip. As long as you do not overclock until an aftermarket solution has been fitted on it'll be fine.

There's no problem with using the stock cooler, provided you don't do any overclocking.

Yes, it will run a bit hotter than your typical aftermarkert soloution, but it will still provide adaquate cooling for the chip to run properly without any issues, otherwise they would not include it.

I'm struggling to find reviews of stock coolers on top tier CPU's (no wonder really) so any information would be appreciated!

it'll be hot because it's factory overclocked to 4.0ghz out of the box.

The stock cooler is designed to cool the 4790k at stock clock speeds. It's not "overclocked" to 4GHz out of the box, that's just what it is, and the stock cooler will work perfectly fine if you're not going far past those speeds

"Rawr XD"

is this risky to use even temporarily for gaming/light testing whilst I wait?

Of course not :) the stock cooler's problem is not that it doesn't work, but rather that it gets noisy and doesn't perform well if you oc. At stock clock speeds, the stock cooler will be more than fine. If your cpu fries because it doesn't work properly the warranty covers it, because it's not supposed to and 99.9% of the time it doesn't.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The stock cooler is designed to cool the 4790k at stock clock speeds. It's not "overclocked" to 4GHz out of the box, that's just what it is, and the stock cooler will work perfectly fine if you're not going far past those speeds

I just woke up xD i know it'll run fine but will probably be a little hotter.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I just woke up xD i know it'll run fine but will probably be a little hotter.

Load temps are a lot better with the Haswell refresh since they fixed the internal TIM issue. It will run hotter then an aftermarket cooler of course but not to the point of throttling.

"Rawr XD"

*palm to forehead* doh, the warranty! Thanks for the answer!

Ive been on the stock cooler for about 3 days now (waiting on a new backplate for my h80i) and i get low idle about 32-42C and when gaming I havent gotten over 62C