Old or new Macbook Pro?

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

It's a proprietary M.2 interface.

1440x900 isn't that bad at that size in my opinion.  The retina display (2560x1600) will operate as a 1280x800 display anyway as far as desktop space goes, although of course you will get the nice sharp text and all that.

Not to mention they tend to last longer. My old mac lasted my 7 years, and still running perfectly--just too slow especially consider that I usually have at least 5 tabs open, a long with iTunes, VLC, iMessage, occasionally cs6, and whatever else I happen to be doing. But, for just internet browsing or music/video playback its still excellent. 

On a side note, most laptop companies have awful trackpads, so I'd consider buying a mac simply for the better trackpad. 

But anyway....spec for spec macs are still more expensive than similarly spec'd windows-based laptops. But thats really not a fair comparison as a mac with identical specs to a windows-based system will outperform the windows computer, and there are other parts other than simple specs--build quality/etc...  

I think Linus actually called out all the Apple haters on one of the WAN shows, he said that if you put a windows machine and a OSX machine at similar specs, you're paying very little for the apple badge and design that all the haters say you're paying for.

I think Linus actually called out all the Apple haters on one of the WAN shows, he said that if you put a windows machine and a OSX machine at similar specs, you're paying very little for the apple badge and design that all the haters say you're paying for.

Maybe, dunno. But if Linus did say that, then I certainly do agree with him.

Aside from the fact that they can easily compete with a windows computer with higher specs, they also last longer. Ive never had a non-high end windows laptop that didn't just crap out and die within 3-4 years. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Maybe, dunno. But if Linus did say that, then I certainly do agree with him.

Aside from the fact that they can easily compete with a windows computer with higher specs, they also last longer. Ive never had a non-high end windows laptop that didn't just crap out and die within 3-4 years. 

This is exactly the reason why I wanted to try a mac. A buddy of mine who does photo/video editing has had the same MBP for atleast 5 years, he's only ever upgraded his ram because he is actually using it for video editing. And it always works fine.

This is exactly the reason why I wanted to try a mac. A buddy of mine who does photo/video editing has had the same MBP for atleast 5 years, he's only ever upgraded his ram because he is actually using it for video editing. And it always works fine.

Not to mention having a real trackpad (lets be honest, no one can compete with the Apple trackpads), is extremely helpful for on-the-go editing when a mouse just isn't practical. Not to mention, a trackpad can actually be very useful for editing--multi gestures and different interface than a mouse. Its not always better, but it certainly has its moments. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Not to mention having a real trackpad (lets be honest, no one can compete with the Apple trackpads), is extremely helpful for on-the-go editing when a mouse just isn't practical. Not to mention, a trackpad can actually be very useful for editing--multi gestures and different interface than a mouse. Its not always better, but it certainly has its moments. 

And you know, it's actually a good trackpad that just plain work.

Retina, originally I wanted a MBA but the screen scared me.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

Retina, originally I wanted a MBA but the screen scared me.

What's up with the MBA screen?

Ive never had a non-high end windows laptop that didn't just crap out and die within 3-4 years. 

So why are you to comparing the longevity of a low end laptop to a highend mac? Of course a  €400 laptop is shit and will die compared to a €1500 mac. That is just common sense. I am not saying don't get a Mac. Mac's can be a really good option. I am saying weight up your options from both sides and make an educated decision based on your own personal requirements.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

So why are you to comparing the longevity of a low end laptop to a highend mac? Of course a  €400 laptop is shit and will die compared to a €1500 mac. That is just common sense. I am not saying don't get a Mac. Mac's can be a really good option. I am saying weight up your options from both sides and make an educated decision based on your own personal requirements.

Did you even read what I wrote? I've bought high end windows machines, never payed under 960€ for a laptop (Norway is not cheap). As a student I get a discount in the Apple store 1100€ for a 13" retina.

Did you even read what I wrote? I've bought high end windows machines, never payed under 960€ for a laptop (Norway is not cheap). As a student I get a discount in the Apple store 1100€ for a 13" retina.

My apologies. It was early morning and there were lots of negatives in there. "never had non high end that didn't...". Non-high end confused me as non-high end equals low end. Sorry about that. :)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

My apologies. It was early morning and there were lots of negatives in there. "never had non high end that didn't...". Non-high end confused me as non-high end equals low end. Sorry about that. :)

Early mornings, I have those too ><

What's up with the MBA screen?

First of all, its a bit too low res, but worst of all, the panel is so unresponsive and has tearing...

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

First of all, its a bit too low res, but worst of all, the panel is so unresponsive and has tearing...

Oh, I actually haven't heard of that :S

Just go with MB air. Honestly you don't want the weight to lug around campus and the battery life on the air is awesome. Power plugs at my universotu atleast are actuallu quite rare. Save the extra money for a desktop to do gaming/ other stuff on.

Just go with MB air. Honestly you don't want the weight to lug around campus and the battery life on the air is awesome. Power plugs at my universotu atleast are actuallu quite rare. Save the extra money for a desktop to do gaming/ other stuff on.

I allready have a desktop :) Norway is actually quite good with providing power outlets, even in auditoriums, we have outlets on the underside of our desks.

Oh, I actually haven't heard of that :S

Yeah you need to see it before you buy those...

Yeah you need to see it before you buy those...

A classmate of mine has one actually so I peeked at the screen and it seems the colours are off :S Don't know if that was something she had done herself (I doubt it), but it didn't look good, had some kind of yellowish tint :S

A classmate of mine has one actually so I peeked at the screen and it seems the colours are off :S Don't know if that was something she had done herself (I doubt it), but it didn't look good, had some kind of yellowish tint :S

Yeah I also saw that, looks awful, but if you are working just on text or internet, it should be fine though. But i wouldnt edit photos or videos on it...

Yeah I also saw that, looks awful, but if you are working just on text or internet, it should be fine though. But i wouldnt edit photos or videos on it...

Yeah that would never ever work in a million years... unless you display it on a external display