OnePlus One 64gb Review.

I recently got the chance to buy a OnePlus One. As I have been looking to upgrade from my 3 year old Htc Glacier I couldn’t pass up the chance to buy a flagship device at half the price.

Day One.

I’ll start with the packaging; in a word, amazing. They have really good attention to detail. I am sure you have all seen the packaging buy now so I won’t add photos. As I opened it I had the feeling that I was opening a really high end device, boy was I right. Looking at the phone, you will see a large phone but not unmanageable. It is only slightly smaller than a note 3 but has a slightly smaller screen. It is amazingly thin and looks very nice. The screen is slightly raised above the bezel and the effect is nice, at the cost of reduced screen protection. The back is removable but rather difficult to take off.

As I booted up the phone I was greeted by what looked like stock android. To be fair, my previous phone was running android 2.3.4 with Htc Sense 2.1 and a tablet with android 4.1 and some unknown skin.  I signed in my google account and downloaded a few apps. My old phone used a full size sim so I had to go to the T Mobile store and get a micro sim. They transferred my contacts and media to the new phone and I was off. I ran a speedtest on Lte against the One M8 the sales person had. I won with 3ms lower ping at 3mb better download. I then tested against my dad’s Samsung S4, similar results. Wifi seems good and I have had no issues with connectivity. 

Day Two.

I installed a few games and applications and ran it. Netflix and YouTube ran fine on both Lte and Wifi as expected.  Games ran quite well and had no issues on max settings. The games I have tested so far are JetPack JoyRide, Geometry Dash, Minecraft PE, and Xplane 9. Multi-tasking was fluid and I saw no dely.

I have tried a few launchers so far they are Trebuchet, Google Now, Nova, and Smart. So far Smart and Nova isn’t my thing but Google Now and Trebuchet are the ones I am using. Right now I am using Google Now and like the always listening that Trebuchet doesn’t have.

Music is good and the eq is nice. I am using Play Music, Power Amp, Pandora, and Spotify. The off screen Play and Pause work fine but the next/previous tracks don’t. The Volume long press does work along with flashlight and camera off screen gestures.

Content consumption and gaming are amazing. The screen is really immersive and the pixel density is more than adequate at 401ppi. I do find that handheld using is difficult in landscape because my hands cover the bottom dual mono speakers. Headphones fix the issue quite well. I find that headphones are amazing on this phone; my grandpa’s Bose Ae2’s were able to get far more than comfortably loud and sounded good. The eq had more of an effect on the headphones than the speakers. On the speakers, they are also very loud and sound okay, not as good as the One M8 but better than the S4 and certainly better than my old phone.

I used NFC to transfer photos to my dad’s S4 and it worked fine. I ordered some programmable NFC tags and a case on amazon that should be here in a few days. I am in the process of getting everything set up to use the IR blaster.

I will update this review as I play more and discover more. Hope you enjoyed. This was my first review so I would appreciate comments or criticisms.

Day Three.

Today I have been playing with different launchers. I have tried about 30 of them but now I am using Trebuchet, Google Now Launcher, Smart Launcher, and Launcher 8 Pro. I am running Google Now Launcher as I am typing this. I like them all and use them for the same things.

I am deciding on a good music player as google play music and poweramp are either not worth the money or just plain suck. I am trying Apollo and Shuttle. I was up way too late last night and was able to try all of the different launchers. I am in the process of getting my headphones working to fully test them. I will be trying the profiles when I get some nfc tags.

I haven’t done any more gaming or content consumption but I am still amazed at the build quality and the look and feel. The screen can very bright but is still hard to use outdoors. The screen doesn’t get as dim as I would like for when I am about to sleep but during the day it is perfect. I still really like the back cover. It is amazing to feel. I would like to see other phones with similar backings.

I am having some issues with the default contacts and phone apps. I had multiple contacts and couldn’t delete them so I turned off sync, deleted everything, download a 3rd part contacts manager to create the contacts I wanted, imported them to the stock app and then removed the 3rd party app.  The dialer still shows the old removed contacts and I am still trying to find a fix. This may be a result of my inexperience of recent versions of android. 

As some of you guys know I am a pilot so naturally I have installed some applications relating to aviation. The gps seems rather accurate and I have had no issues with app compatibility or function. The screen is bright enough in the plane to see the charts and I have no issues there. I do plan to make some videos with the screencast app if there is interest from you guys.

I am still getting used to the largeness of the phone but I can use it with one hand. Every time I pick it up I am amazed how thin and light it is. It is easily 1/3 the thickness and 1/2 the weight of my old phone. The usability is great. I have had no major issues yet except the contacts issues I mentioned. One time I needed to restart for a software issue but it was no big deal there. The weather isn’t helping so I will have the camera review another day.

Any comments and feedback are welcome. If you have any questions just ask. 

Day Four.

I didn’t use my phone much today. Ran smart launcher all day and it was nice. Went for a nice walk with my dog and had music playing the whole nine miles. Trying to set up my cheap iem’s to use google now not google voice dialer, which is much worse.  Nothing else to note today as I didn’t use my phone much.

Day Five.

Today was my first day taking this phone to work. I have an hour commute each way on the bus so I generally read web pages. Despite that I am over my data cap and on 2g the browsing was good. The battery really showed its power today. I woke up at 06:30 with the alarm on my phone and have used it mildly after getting home from work, listening to music for an hour or so while browsing for the same. Like I said I had two hours of heavy use today in addition to that and now it is 18:15 and I have fifty-one percent batter left so far. No new apps to speak of and using the Trebuchet launcher. Still really impressed with this phone and would recommend it to anyone who can get one.

I got it yesterday...

I've been waiting since you said you're getting one. :P

I've been waiting since you said you're getting one. :P

Okay, I should have done this before I got it :) 

I know for next time...

:P

pics plssss

Tuesday, I have to bring my dslr home from work.

I am thinking about updating this review daily and then adding new things and pics when I can, I will try the camera in depth tomorrow and add the photos then.

Do you think the micro usb cable they give you is weird? Cause I do :o

A little, I like it. I have had the same type of non shielded plug before. I like the flat no tangle design.

A little, I like it. I have had the same type of non shielded plug before. I like the flat no tangle design.

I don't aha I use it sometimes to plug an Xbox One controller into my PC and the flat design makes it hard to move the controller around.

I don't aha I use it sometimes to plug an Xbox One controller into my PC and the flat design makes it hard to move the controller around.

Ah,  I have an existing cable for my pc, I use that one in the wall near my bed.

Ah,  I have an existing cable for my pc, I use that one in the wall near my bed.

I have another but whenever I play two player I have to make my friend use the cable. Otherwise it's plugged into the power adapter so that I can charge my phone.

I have another but whenever I play two player I have to make my friend use the cable. Otherwise it's plugged into the power adapter so that I can charge my phone.

Okay, what cm version are you on, I am unimpressed with the batter life on 33r. 25r seemed okay.

Okay, what cm version are you on, I am unimpressed with the batter life on 33r. 25r seemed okay.

It says my CM version is 11.0 and my battery life is good. Lasts me about 2-3 days.

It says my CM version is 11.0 and my battery life is good. Lasts me about 2-3 days.

Settings, about phone, Cyanogen Mod version, 11.0-XNPH33R

Yeah that's what mine says aha.

Okay, I guess I just use it too much. I bought a battery pack that is 4000 MAh and it seems to help.

Okay, I guess I just use it too much. I bought a battery pack that is 4000 MAh and it seems to help.

Yeah I only really just check for messages and what not all day not really heavy usage. Except when I use the screen casting feature to watch YouTube videos on my blu-ray player.

@GingerbreadPK @Anthony10 @AlwaysFSX

Should I continue to update this for a week or two?

Any feedback?

I would update it every few days for a week or two then do a final summary/review.

Will do, any features to focus on?

Will do, any features to focus on?

General snappiness, your fingers in relation button placement, phone durability over time. Any other minor things that affect how you feel using the phone.

General snappiness, your fingers in relation button placement, phone durability over time. Any other minor things that affect how you feel using the phone.

Okay, I will add that tonight or tomorrow. I am trying new launchers now.