HTC One M8 with Windows Phone 8.1

What do you mean? I don't use Windows Phone.

Which means that you're not in your right to criticize something you haven't used using vague descriptions like "shitty" which can mean nothing and anything.

I've already watched the WAN Show and didn't like Linus' methodology in tackling the issue, i feel like i have a lot more to say once i watch it.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

I own a HTC 8X WP and have for the last year, and tbh, it really isnt as bad as people say and review. Yes, MS screwed some things up with the OS but 8.1 is still was a HUGE improvement over WP8 and WP7, and imo, its nice to use, simple.

i do like iOS (not a fan of Apple) and Android over WP8.1, and probably will go back to Android in the near future, just cos WP doesn't have the features i need atm, but hopefully MS get their act into gear, and make it a better competitor in WP9.   

MotherBoard: Asus Z87 Gryphon CPU: i5 4670k CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 GPU: Asus Radeon R9 290 DCUII RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 2x4GB

PSU: Corsair HX650v2 SemiModular Storage: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX Monitor: Samsung S24D590PL Keybord: Ducky Shine Zero Cherry  Red Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45

Which means that you're not in your right to criticize something you haven't used using vague descriptions like "shitty" which can mean nothing and anything.

I've already watched the WAN Show and didn't like Linus' methodology in tackling the issue, i feel like i have a lot more to say once i watch it.

Okay then, I trust Linus's opinion very much when it comes to phones (and that's what reviews are for - to form an opinion) and I used Windows 8.1 myself at some point so my opinion stands.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Okay then, I trust Linus's opinion very much when it comes to phones (and that's what reviews are for - to form an opinion) and I used Windows 8.1 myself at some point so my opinion stands.

So i guess it's a simple taste thing, i happen to like Metro UI and would never opt for the classic start menu once Windows 9 rolls out, calling it "shitty" was just way too extreme.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

So i guess it's a simple taste thing, i happen to like Metro UI and would never opt for the classic start menu once Windows 9 rolls out, calling it "shitty" was just way too extreme.

It certainly is - I actually don't mind the basic idea of the metro UI - I just don't like the execution. I'm not even a fan of the start menu - and I use the desktop very rarely as well. I just use custom libraries + directories with shortcuts for quick access to everything I need on a daily basis - it makes my windows usage lightning fast and very convenient. I hoped that metro UI would turn out like a highly customizable, efficient, yet prettier version of what I already use like individually resizable tiles (not just large/small), custom background pictures for every tile - stuff like that. But it's really not.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I'm quite disturbed by the review. I trust Linux to know how to do a review, that's why I follow his videos. But as a Windows Phone user, I don't recognize the OS he described.

There is some false accusations in the video. I don't understand why Linux lied to us. Is he close minded ? I don't think so. Did he even use the phone for a month exclusively ? I honestly doubt it.

No Swiftkey ? -> built-in

No free Youtube Apps ? -> MetroTube is free(more accurately the try is free and have ALL it's functionalities, it's just a decoy for Google lawyers who don't want a free competitive app for the 'browse to m.youtube.com' official app). It comes with ad-free videos and preload-offline videos.

And it's basically the same for all the major services, if there is not an official app, there is a third party one who basically does a better job. (seriously Linux, why don't you check if the top result, no matter the name, is a serious app ? you will not get a malware by looking at the market page ! There isn't even malwares on WP, every apps are running in an independent memory.

Again I don't understand the way he used the phone. It's like he didn't even give it a try. 

I only use my lumia 635 for : call, text, mails, social networks, news, gps (free Here suite), youtube (Metrotube, a LOT), 9gag, Office, mangas( a lot too), books, music(the app is still shitty,even compared with the WP7, I don't understand what happened).

I don't really use WhatsApp, I'm in Europe, sms are unlimited with almost every offers.

I don't use the camera neither (the related apps by Nokia are really sweets, even if I don't really use them, not a photo guy).

Obviously I don't use Google services, I use the Microsoft ones. I don't trust both of them but at least MS don't record my web history, simply because they can't I guess.

So I guess I'm not an enthusiast user for smartphone, only use it actively 5 hours a day. But I don't understand how you would use it to be a so called by Linus "enthusiast". If you want to work, you use a laptop or desktop. Or even a tablet if you want. but unless you think you are an enthusiast because you use dropcam, instagram or stuff. Please. People. Dropcam. I'm not in USA but I don't need to monitor my house 24/7. And there is a 3rd party app for instagram.

So unless someone can explain to me what I'm doing wrong with my phone and can persuade me that my vision of smartphones usages is totally wrong, I will assume Linus either didn't wanted to try it, didn't tried it, or lied to us to gain hype.

(PS please explain me, I'm serious, I'm worried, I love Linux videos but there is something wrong there)

Ok, I watched the video. I'm not going to press dislike button  only because different opinion that wouldn't be fair. Video itself isn't that bad I just plainly don't agree with it. 

But I really can't get what is so wrong with WP? Maybe is because of perception of things since I'm from Europe and Linus is from Canada. Maybe is because I never really had Android phone for more than 14 days (I'm although using an Android tablet for about 2 years now) and I jumped from Symbian directly to WP with Lumia 820.

Anyway, I do agree that WP isn't enthusiast platform, neither is iOS. Unless we have different views what enthusiast means? With enthusiast I mean people who root their Android phones, put on them custom ROMs and tweak them in any possible way or at least know something about that. But seriously, how many people are like that? Most of the people use phone for messaging, browsing web, FB, twitter and to play one game while they are on the bus or something. 

And god dammit what do you have with swiftkey? I mean, I had it on my tablet and it wasn't something special. 

That's my opinion, not right, not wrong but it's mine. Sure WP have some problems and it could have more functionality  but I like to see how OS develops through time. And  btw Linus, did you know that WP has option of devloper preview,  much like Google has for Nexus 5, with difference that you don't need to flash your phone to get it, just sign to developer site and download update like any other OTA update ;) .

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 510s 14":  i5 7200U, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 860 EVO

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G

Hello
I myself use a WP 8.1 device as a daily driver and while i agree with many on the problem with mostly having to rely on thirdparty apps, but tbh the problem here is just as much if not more the app developers fault, to this day you still cannot get a youtube app developed by google and a year back they even dismissed support for the microsoft youtube app so you couldnt use it and was force out into third party versions of the youtube app.
Even though we are a minority it would still be nice if atleast the big app devolpers would recognise us as potentiel customers.

ofcourse im not saying that wp 8.1 dosent have its fair share of mistakes and errors i agree with linus on the annoyence of how the people app functions when calling a contact that isnt the first on the list.

and some apps have a habbit of crashing for no reason at all but that has still not scared me away from the platform

i myself switched from my old iphone 4s at the time and the first few days were rough but after getting to know WP 8 alot better and moving around in the OS it just became more and more intuitive i had the People app as me social centerpoint on the phone with my facebook account set up i could run the facebook chat without having to install a dedicated app for it i could see my newsfeed and post to it and se my friends newsfeeds, ofcourse you didnt have as many functions as in the app but still if you like me almost never post stuff on FB this was pretty much what i needed for FB feutures. And to this day i have been happy with this change WP 8.1 with the right mindset and determination WP 8 and WP 8.1 will just like Win8/8.1 did be one of  the best user experiences you cant get but if you are closeminded and is like Windows 8 sucks because windows 7 is better og Iphone/android is the only thing that works  type of person then WP8 isnt for you, im not trying to say WP8 is the best but if you take the time to properly lear how to use the OS it is,again not for everyone but only those who learns to use it properly and that takes time.

so if i should recommend WP for someone it would be a person who no matter if they are a poweruser or not, dosent mind the flaws and is willing to learn how to use this OS then you wont get a better phone but again if you need certain apps and cannot live without certain apps and is not willing to learn how to use WindowsPhone then dont bother because the you will be disappointed and thb we have enough haters who hate for the sake of hating already.

Sincerely Hintzmann
Proud Lumia 920 Owner since 2012

I've finally watched the video. Just as I've guessed it.. It's 'a phone for no one' because Android is the be-all and end-all. /s

I've finally watched the video. Just as I've guessed it.. It's 'a phone for no one' because Android is the be-all and end-all. /s

At the high end, that's really how it falls though. WPs biggest advantage was that it runs buttery smooth on any hardware, you don't need more than a dual core. But it's an incredibly locked down OS, that is in need of a little customisation. The apps are a huge disappointment. When I was on WP the FB app was terrible, no YouTube is frustrating, games show up last on WP, if at all etc. It is a long way behind, but admittedly 8.1 is quickly catching up to the others. 

I always felt WP was a direct assault at iOS, rather than Android.

Why do people need Youtube app ? You can watch Youtube videos without that stupid app. 

I already knew what this video was going to be before I even watched it. Linus just loves to rag on Microsoft these days, only have to look as far as his Surface Pro 3 review to see that.

Apparently I am a "nobody" because I have been using Windows Phone for 2 years and I love it. Linus just has this extremely narrow-minded thought process that if something isn't perfect for him then that means it's a horrible product and that it's good for no one.

If you would like to see someone who reviews Windows Phone OS/hardware unbiased then watch MKBHD's videos on it.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Fair video in the sense that if you're a Google user (gmail/hangouts, etc.), this is not a platform for you.

If you're a big enthusiast that need all the latest and greatest, this is not for you.

Why am I personally using my Lumia 920 over my Nexus 5 as my daily driver? Because I can't care less about the above two points. I use my phone for e-mail/internet/videos/news and Android is not for me.

MyTube is a free app (the 0,99$ is a "donation") superior to any official Google application for watching YouTube, the e-mail client (I have an outlook/hotmail account though) is fantastic, calendar is awesome and, if IE isn't the best mobile browser, Chrome isn't that better in my experience (all mobile browser are terrible IMO).

Also, HERE Maps is awesome. Free offline (I don't have a lot of data) navigation where I can almost download the world and never be stuck somewhere (Google maps' offline thing is terrible, it's more like a caching thing...). This is a fantastic thing (considering most WP sold are in the 100$ range) and a compelling reason to get the cheaper ones (a smartphone/gps combo for 100$? yes please).

Does it makes sense to have a One M8 on Windows? WP has always been about camera experience in high end and a Lumia 930 is so much better... do yourself a favor and don't get the HTC M8 for Windows unless you REALLY like WP.

TL;DR If you're a Google user or someone who wants the latest in tech gadgets, this is really not for you. Otherwise, if you're a lightweight user or like best camera experience or need a free gps-class offline navigation, WPs are awesome (L520 could be found at 80$ in Canada)

Of course, this is my opinion  ;)

Intel Core i7-5820k @ 4,6Ghz; Asus X99 Deluxe; GSkill Ripjaws 4 (4x4) 2400Mhz; MSi GTX 980 Reference @ 1.4Ghz; CM V700; Phanteks Enthoo Luxe; Windows 8.1 Pro

I got my mom a Lumia 520 and i don't regret it, for calling, texting, navigation, taking pictures and checking her outlook it is fluid and easy to use and I disagree with Linus that a touchwiz phone is easier to use because you can scale text on windows phone and the icons are more simple, also less menus to get confused. I would guess some kind of haptick feedback would be good but for now she likes it and I am happy because of that.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

This video was the worst of LinusTechTips so far, it wasn't objective at all.

I expect more from this channel than this biased bullshit.

Get your act together because you lose credibility by publishing this nonsense.

By the way, I'd love to hear your definition of "enthousiast usage", having watched your video, it seems pretty niche.

I have used Android passiontly for over 5 years and i myself also always said ANDROID IS DA BEST.

Ive rooted, flashed, modified every aspect of it. HTC Tattoo, HTC Wildfire, Galaxy Nexus. Samsung s4.

After trying out my brothers Lumia 920 i was persuaded by windows phones fluidness and camera etc.

I wasn't thrown back by the apps, before i bought my first wp Lumia 925 i checked which apps are there and if there are alternatives there.

Linus you didnt even knew about the 3rd party app for instagram which is vastly superior.

I liked windows phone so much in fact that i bought a second one a Lumia 930 in green, because i wanted more storage,qi wireless charging, godly camera.

It seems to me more like Linus hasn't put any effort into this Review at all its a sloppy review at best.

Its basically only a Negative Video, he brings up almost no positive which there are of many.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

Before any one shoots me down for being a fan boy, I have used android for 4 years and just recently jumped ship to wp.

The reason I jumped was because of one reason, my galaxy s4 was shockingly bad and when I tried other phones they all seemed to lag to me on the os. (didn't try apple as I wanted a large 5"screen at least) anyway after I settled with a Lumia 930 I'm glad I jumped ship.

The os in my opinion is just far smoother than android, my screen blasts many other phones out of water for its colours and brightness, its quick, good battery life and it works! To me, and I suspect many others, that is all we want, we don't want rooting or any other enthusiast stuff 9\10 don't care for.

However Linus does get one or two things right, the os ain't the most intuitive, it lacks apps like hangouts that I used all the time (although many 3rd party apps are equally good if not better) some things seem unorganised and its keyboard could be improved upon.

I could go on for why its good and bad but don't want to make this a full review, just really wanted to say that for the general tom dick or harry Linus may of got the wrong end of the stick in his review.

Before any one shoots me down for being a fan boy, I have used android for 4 years and just recently jumped ship to wp.

The reason I jumped was because of one reason, my galaxy s4 was shockingly bad and when I tried other phones they all seemed to lag to me on the os. (didn't try apple as I wanted a large 5"screen at least) anyway after I settled with a Lumia 930 I'm glad I jumped ship.

The os in my opinion is just far smoother than android, my screen blasts many other phones out of water for its colours and brightness, its quick, good battery life and it works! To me, and I suspect many others, that is all we want, we don't want rooting or any other enthusiast stuff 9\10 don't care for.

However Linus does get one or two things right, the os ain't the most intuitive, it lacks apps like hangouts that I used all the time (although many 3rd party apps are equally good if not better) some things seem unorganised and its keyboard could be improved upon.

I could go on for why its good and bad but don't want to make this a full review, just really wanted to say that for the general tom dick or harry Linus may of got the wrong end of the stick in his review.

Hangouts and all the other google apps are not on windows phone because of Google. A long time ago Microsoft made a really good Youtube app and they had to take it down because of Google going legal on them.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

Hangouts and all the other google apps are not on windows phone because of Google. A long time ago Microsoft made a really good Youtube app and they had to take it down because of Google going legal on them.

Not once but twice, first cause it didn't show ads and you could download the vids. Second time cause it wasn't HTML 5 yet at the time the android and IOS apps weren't either.

Yeah I have read about that, but at the end of the day, for somebody like me jumping ships it is defo something to consider prior to jumping.

Why would you complain about lack of SwiftKey app when you have WordFlow which is supperior?

No YouTube app? ... have you not seen MetroTube?

Come on Linus, I think that you did not give your best to this review. You missed so many thing and said quite few dissinformations. Maybe it is because you are so much dependant on Google services but it is not WP fault that Google is trying their best to give the least support to it they can.

Prety much I am with @LeTexan and @Skanic about this.

This review was very biased. Complaining of "company a"s app not being in the store or the unofficial app has nothing to do with WP 8.1 but the company itself, if you want to complain about an app not being on the store complain to the company not Microsoft. I can just as easily go to Android and complain that "Here Drive+" isn't on the store therefore android is shit. Anything Google is not integrated well because of Google and there anti-competitive behavior. I agree with the quick call thing. The keyboard would be nice if we can change the size but overall its a damn good keyboard there's a reason its the fastest in the world. For emails in the notification center thing just click the email icon above the notifications this will take you to your in box where u can then select the mail you want to view and not the individual email, this fixes the problem you had with the not being able to go back to inbox going back, this to me is better than having to keep pushing back to get to the desktop/homescreen if i just wanted to real one mail. 

We need some WP user as a guest on WAN Show. This review was probably the worst video I've seen on the channel. 

Perhaps I can't be called an "enthusiast user". Perhaps. But I find doing anything slightly complicated on 4-6" display a torture (whether it's Android or Windows Phone). I use it for calls, SMS, GPS, Youtube, internet and as a camera. I have a notebook with me at all times for the "complicated" stuff. 

But Linus is not even trying at this point. Saying that the OS is for "no one" is nonsense. Everything about lack of apps (and their superior 3rd party counterparts) has been said. But there are other things. Since when is Android good on low end devices? It' barely usable. It got much better but I would like to see Linus use it for a month and then tell me again how just fine it is (especially compared to WP). Complaining about lack of customization, well, I guess it depends. I find the customizatiion fine. Not actually sure what else besides a wallpaper (and lockscreen background) would I want to change.

Same goes for design. And how is it not intuitive? Especially the OS itself? Everything is described with very specific images and if anyone was in doubt, you cal always just swipe up and read what each button does. But sure, these two could be considered subjective..

Continuing, on the one side Linus is very happy about the native email app. Which he says in one sentence. Barely even that. On the other hand, he complaints about one missing feature for a minute. It just seems a bit excessive.

*end of rant*

I'm sorry, had to get that out of my system. I acknowledge that WP has it's downsides and is missing few features, but big portion of Linus's criticism is based on lack of willingness to even try to understand the ecosystem.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing. Maybe instead of b*tching about lack of custom keyboards, could you maybe review the swipe keyboard that's present on WP? Ya know, as a part of a review?

LOL LInus

I saw those voice commands b-roll

"show me the menu of that one"

"thats not the menu a******"

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

Linus, Android does NOT run well on lower end hardware. The low end Android experience is COMPLETE AND UTTER SHIT, dude. Someone just happened to give me a low end Android phone a few days ago since my old phone broke and MAN is it horrible. It hangs on anything. Music playback continuously stops, it regularly takes 3 seconds to open the all apps view (sometimes it takes so long that the screen turns off while I wait), heck it takes forever to open any app at all; it even takes long for the keyboard to show up whenever there's a text field. It is incredibly bad. Meanwhile, a Lumia 520 can do anything it is meant to do smoothly. :/

To me the really sad thing about WP is that, as an OS, it's pretty cool. It runs smoothly on everything and has been shown, particularly with phones like this one with an immediate Android counterpart, to increase battery life quite a bit. BUT, the problem with it is that it lacks apps and third party support, and that is because it lacks users, but it lacks users because of it's lack of apps and third party support, which is a really, really, really shitty situation for the platform. :/ I feel like with support from Google alone, the situation would be dramatically different, but of course, Google doesn't want that...