Big Build Log Contest Showdown - Voting Thread

What I find is the hardest thing I is restraint. Hands down, its so "easy" to just put in a hundred different things in and go full retard. Adding stuff is easy, reducing it down to its core and still keeping function and style with less and less parts really is the hardest thing. This is were almost all modern design is heading nowadays. Refined and simple (just look at apple laptops, and modern phones). But when I was "young" I liked the flashy stuff. But that for me got old, fast. At first you want those bright LEDs but after a few weeks it only starts to get boring and annoying. I don't want led's and stuff irritating my eyes and lighting up the whole room while you are trying to sleep. You have to live with your computer as well. And from my own experience the simple elegant stuff, never "really" get old. Not in the same way at least. 

And yes, yes I know I am a sucker for simple and elegant solutions! That is my own opinion and I know a lot of you don't agree here :D

But I'm gonna vote from what I believe is is the most important aspect in a mod, style, simplicity, elegance and finally restraint!

And that is why I have chosen these two mods:
Vesper by @Maki It has a beautiful, clean, elegant design with a lot of work put in. And you can see that a lot of work was put into this. Not something you just "put" together. I like that and its also something new and refreshing.
ARK by @ikem Clean build, not to much (would have liked a little less blue leds but that is JUST my taste), a very good looking build that does not overdo it with lots of colors. Stylish blue, black and some raw alu. Great work.

Cheers and gl to all the contestants!

Haha yea that is true, I like the eye candy side of things, it really just depends what you are into. Im 21 so I may grow out of it but I love the LEDs and party type stuff as long as it doesnt affect my gaming etc thats why I put the lights under the lip of the desk that the glass sits on to stop the light rays from being directed up and instead it shines on the components and highlights them. I love that in modding and I have seen a lot of great projects, very nicely done everyone.

Haha yea that is true, I like the eye candy side of things, it really just depends what you are into. Im 21 so I may grow out of it but I love the LEDs and party type stuff as long as it doesnt affect my gaming etc thats why I put the lights under the lip of the desk that the glass sits on to stop the light rays from being directed up and instead it shines on the components and highlights them. I love that in modding and I have seen a lot of great projects, very nicely done everyone.

Well, this was in no way directed towards you, I hope you know that :)

Even if I don't really like that type of mod yours its still a VERY good build. One of the best desktop moods out there for sure!

Just not my cup of tea if you know what I mean. 

Well, this was in no way directed towards you, I hope you know that :)

Even if I don't really like that type of mod yours its still a VERY good build. One of the best desktop moods out there for sure!

Just not my cup of tea if you know what I mean.

na man all good I know it wasnt directed at me I was actually agreeing with you saying everyones tastes r different xD

@alpenwasser the picture of Mr.TuF 2.0 seem wrong ....

Yeah, the post got screwed up when editing, should be fixed now. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Yup. @Brodholm likes a scratchbuilt case out of metal, and I prefer MDF as a building material. And you like a desk. We all do things differently. You know who wins? Everyone.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Hi, I would like to change the tag of my thread from "In-progress" to "Completed" but I cannot find this option, who can help me?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/210481-project-orange-horizon/

EDIT: I will use the template once the tag can be changed. This post is only to understand how to change a tag in order to submit my build using the template

A lot of great builds, I find it a bit odd that only 184 people have voted on a forum this big.

Hi, I would like to change the tag of my thread from "In-progress" to "Completed" but I cannot find this option, who can help me?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/210481-project-orange-horizon/

EDIT: I will use the template once the tag can be changed. This post is only to understand how to change a tag in order to submit my build using the template

Edit the first post of your thread in advanced mode, you'll have

the option to edit the thread title, thread tags and so on.

A lot of great builds, I find it a bit odd that only 184 people have voted on a forum this big.

Well, not everybody frequents the build log section, and of those

I reckon even fewer actually vote.

You can see it pretty well when a build gets featured on the show,

it will often get a significant boost in traffic, which I take to

mean that there's a lot of people watching the show who haven't

visited the build before (yeah, I get that not everybody who watches

the show is registered on the forum and vice versa, but just as a

thought experiment ;)).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Voting is NOW CLOSED!

A screen shot of the vote results will be added to the first post shortly.

We would like to thank all the contestants and everyone who took time to vote and to check out the builds. Expect winners to be featured on next weeks build because as of right now, 1:27pm EST on Friday, the 19th, Luke and Linus are looking pretty wrecked from the MOD24 stream. :)

Also, don't forget to check out and submit on the open Feature Build post to have your Build Log featured on the WAN Show.

Cheers everyone!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

• 2 weeks later...

First of!

Huge congrats to the winner @imfaceroll and the moderator chosen build by @SageC, both great builds!  :) 

I watched the WAN show today with high expectations for the "Big Build Log Contest Showdown (The Big Event)" segment. I don't know what I was expecting of the "The Big Event" but I must say that I am a bit underwhelmed.  :huh:  
Some because I hoped that mine and a few other builds that did not win was going to be mentioned. This is after all The Big Event that was supposed to gather all the builds missed during the downtime of MOTM.

But the total segment was about 3 minutes. With about 60 seconds on @SageC's build and 120 seconds on @imfaceroll. With 60 of them being talk about HDDs, 10TB club and LTT new server hdds. I don't know, this felt very underwhelming and people have put a lot of time into their builds and also taken time to submit them. And lets face it, all of us who entered wanted to be featured and have @LinusTech and @Slick say what they thought of our build. And when only two out of all the submissions barely get mentioned (I know slick mentioned this also), this for me at least, kind of disappointing.  :mellow: 

I love the show and I usually think that you guys do a fantastic job. But I just wanted to share my point of view on this. And I know a lot of you are going to say that I'm just bitter that I did not get mentioned and that is somewhat true I guess ;)  

Anyway!
Here are the two builds on the show for those interested.

Moderator chosen: SageC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ccd8ZefNM?version=3&start=5266&end=5359&autoplay=0&hl=en_US&rel=0

And the winner! imfaceroll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ccd8ZefNM?version=3&start=5391&end=5513&autoplay=0&hl=en_US&rel=0

First of!

Huge congrats to the winner @imfaceroll and the moderator chosen build by @SageC, both great builds!  :) 

I watched the WAN show today with high expectations for the "Big Build Log Contest Showdown (The Big Event)" segment. I don't know what I was expecting of the "The Big Event" but I must say that I am a bit underwhelmed.  :huh:  

Some because I hoped that mine and a few other builds that did not win was going to be mentioned. This is after all The Big Event that was supposed to gather all the builds missed during the downtime of MOTM.

But the total segment was about 3 minutes. With about 60 seconds on @SageC's build and 120 seconds on @imfaceroll. With 60 of them being talk about HDDs, 10TB club and LTT new server hdds. I don't know, this felt very underwhelming and people have put a lot of time into their builds and also taken time to submit them. And lets face it, all of us who entered wanted to be featured and have @LinusTech and @Slick say what they thought of our build. And when only two out of all the submissions barely get mentioned (I know slick mentioned this also), this for me at least, kind of disappointing.  :mellow: 

I love the show and I usually think that you guys do a fantastic job. But I just wanted to share my point of view on this. And I know a lot of you are going to say that I'm just bitter that I did not get mentioned and that is somewhat true I guess ;)  

Anyway!

Here are the two builds on the show for those interested.

Moderator chosen: SageC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ccd8ZefNM?version=3&start=5266&end=5359&autoplay=0&hl=en_US&rel=0

And the winner! imfaceroll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ccd8ZefNM?version=3&start=5391&end=5513&autoplay=0&hl=en_US&rel=0

Thanks for the links mate, i appreciate it. Yea i agree with you mate, they should have shown a few more.

Yea kinda sad they didnt include more. Anyway thanks for the people who voted for me. Wish it could have been a little more "class" based.

Ikem

- snip -

Yeah, that was the result of miscommunication between Slick,

Whaler_99 and myself. Apparently Slick's idea was to have

more builds to show, while Whaler and I thought he wants only

two. So, apologies about that.

Ever since the show started, build logs was usually my favourite

segment, so I would not at all be opposed to have more time

devoted to it, just from a purely personal POV. Heck, for all

I care, Linus and Slick could just do a WBLS (Weekly Build Log

Show ™ ). :D

Anyway, there's nothing that says we can't still feature more

builds from this contest in the coming weeks... ;)

PS: I don't think you sound bitter TBH, I think you've voiced

your concerns in a perfectly respectable manner.

Yeah, that was the result of miscommunication between Slick,

Whaler_99 and myself. Apparently Slick's idea was to have

more builds to show, while Whaler and I thought he wants only

two. So, apologies about that.

Ever since the show started, build logs was usually my favourite

segment, so I would not at all be opposed to have more time

devoted to it, just from a purely personal POV. Heck, for all

I care, Linus and Slick could just do a WBLS (Weekly Build Log

Show ). :D

builds from this contest in the coming weeks... ;)

PS: I don't think you sound bitter TBH, I think you've voiced

your concerns in a perfectly respectable manner.

I'm glad that it did not come out as bitter, I was a bit concerned and actually thought of not posting at all because of that reason.

builds from this contest in the coming weeks...

This would be very nice. I think that there still Is a lot more great builds that would like some spotlight! 

Lost track on this thread, looks like never win anyway. Thanks for those voted for me, appreciate it. Congrats on the winner :) Stay cool, keep modding!