G5ive

Shawy

The joys of a 3-way parallel loop. Bleeding this thing is an absolute nightmare. It makes me wonder how bad it was before my plexi waterblocks.

4HYEiBy.jpg

So she's finally finished... again..!!
Overall I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out. I would've liked the larger res but the 680s wouldn't allow it. I'd also like to have the cards installed in 16x 16x rather than 16x 8x - but I needed to use the EK bridge to bring the tubing out so it fits around the PSU and couldn't find a triple parallel in stock anywhere. :(
I'm also not 100% happy with the 6pin cables from the graphics cards. Ideally I'd have moved the radiator back to allow a little more room for cables but it's too late now, and at least they're out of the way.

Other than that, I just need a window cut into the side panel, but I'm in no rush for that - I'd rather wait and have it cut perfectly than rush it and regret it.

I'll be able to get some better pictures when I move back home next week, but these will do for now:

OsjIylE.jpg

OzOq1Y0.jpg

yVjCJ2Q.jpg

1utN2gG.jpg

laeZC2q.jpg

e8y33b1.jpg

op58qzB.jpg

pYdF40A.jpg

Stay tuned for benchmarks and temps.

Very  nice!! Im excited to see some temperatures!

Temps:

Mj7pFMA.png

That was when I clocked the CPU to 4.75GHz for benchmarking. It required way too much vcore so it wont be staying that high, even though temps peaked in the mid 60s.

I've been working on tidying the build up a little and here's the progress:

I definitely wanted to cover up the top section as it was a complete mess, I was also contemplating covering the rad and fans - mainly due to the copper logo on the radiator not fitting in (either cover it up or paint it silver).

AunN0w0.jpg

I salvaged a piece of steel originally used in the G5 to separate the CPU section from the graphics cards to cover up the top section.

q8zuHb0.jpg?1

I also sorted out the squashed cables, they cover the airflow slightly but nothing major, and looks a lot cleaner.

zsfv1K9.jpg?1

Temps:

Mj7pFMA.png

That was when I clocked the CPU to 4.75GHz for benchmarking. It required way too much vcore so it wont be staying that high, even though temps peaked in the mid 60s.

I've been working on tidying the build up a little and here's the progress:

I definitely wanted to cover up the top section as it was a complete mess, I was also contemplating covering the rad and fans - mainly due to the copper logo on the radiator not fitting in (either cover it up or paint it silver).

AunN0w0.jpg

I salvaged a piece of steel originally used in the G5 to separate the CPU section from the graphics cards to cover up the top section.

q8zuHb0.jpg?1

I also sorted out the squashed cables, they cover the airflow slightly but nothing major, and looks a lot cleaner.

zsfv1K9.jpg?1

I think that rad would looks great. You really should try to paint it silver! Great temps as well.

can we get some more pictures when its running and in the dark i i think its look beast i think its one of the best G5 mods i've ever seen (=

can we get some more pictures when its running and in the dark i i think its look beast i think its one of the best G5 mods i've ever seen (=

Sure:

r1bERMC.jpg

YyRrdOx.jpg

This last one is with zero ambient light, the only light in the room was from the Dominator Platinum.

Kjpnog3.jpg

I do have an LED strip but the PCB must've been damaged while it's been in storage for a few months. I'll have to buy some new ones some time.

Some benchmarks for those interested:

3Dmark 11

• P Score: 17,852
  • X Score: 6,972

yILjUJl.png
1bztD8T.png

Latest 3Dmark:
  • Ice Storm 185,874
  • Cloud Gate 30,535
  • Fire Strike 11,4181

I6DNIoe.png

Heaven:

• FPS 102.8
  • Scores 2590
  • Min FPS 42.9
  • Max FPS 260.9

Zzx40qu.png

Cinebench:
  • CPU 9.22
  • CPU (Single Core) 1.91
  • OpenGL 62.01 FPS

xM2lm9a.png

Super Pi:

• 16K 0.100s
  • 32K 0.170s
  • 64K 0.360s
  • 128K 0.780s
  • 256K 1.680s
  • 512K 3.670s
  • 1M 7.920s
  • 2M 17.990s
  • 4M 40.521s
  • 8M 1m 30.410s
  • 16M 3m 17.770s
  • 32M 7m 19.811s

XGjnDBc.png

CPU temperatures under IBT is range from 52°C to 60°C (~30°C idle 22°C ambient)
GPU temperatures under Furmark reach 45-49°C (~30°C idle 22°C ambient)

All in all I'm really happy with the temps. I knocked the CPU down from 4.75GHz to 4.625GHz just because of the voltage, the temperatures were well under control.

Not sure if LED strips will make it look better IMO. I kinda like the subtle Dominator lighting effects :).

Not sure if LED strips will make it look better IMO. I kinda like the subtle Dominator lighting effects :).

I've sorted out the side panel at last, and I'll need LEDs for it (you'll see). NZXT have terrible customer service so I'm going to go with a different brand for the LEDs.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I've said this build was finished.. BUT.. It finally is! I had a little trouble with the acrylic window but I'm happy to say that everything is now sorted!

I'm just going to leave this little gif here for now, more pics should follow soon...
wyN4FNM.gif

And a still of the cleaned up insides - removed Alphacool logo (and ended up vinyl wrapping the radiator after the paint chipped off), made a cover for the top compartment, and fixed the GPU cables:
li2HZaV.jpg

Looks just amazing. I really like the total paralel loop, it's only second that i've seen.

Looks just amazing. I really like the total paralel loop, it's only second that i've seen.

Thanks! Most people are scared that they're going to lose a lot of performance, but that's not necessarily the case. Sure I might have sacrificed a degree or 2, but with the blocks specifically chosen for their flow rates my temperatures are very respectable, and the loop is far cleaner than a serial loop.

Here's a little gif showing how the 2 way mirror works:

4MpU4XM.gif

If it's lighter outside the case, the acrylic is mirrored, if it's lighter inside the case then the acrylic is transparent. It looks amazing in the dark, the exposure in the gif doesn't really do it justice.

How can I get such effect? What kind of sorcerery is this ?  :lol:

Love the 2 way mirror idea (I never understood why it's called 2-way mirror when it's usually used to let light through only one way as opposed to normal glass which which would actually be 2 way...). I also doubt any camera can ever do it justice :(.

Love the 2 way mirror idea (I never understood why it's called 2-way mirror when it's usually used to let light through only one way as opposed to normal glass which which would actually be 2 way...). I also doubt any camera can ever do it justice :(.

It's because both sides act as a mirror, but at different times. When the lights are off inside the case, the outside acts as a mirror but you can see through it from the inside - where as when the lights are on, the inside acts as a mirror but you can see through it from the outside.

I took a couple more photos of the case in total darkness which gives a better representation of how it looks to the eye.

u1RigTg.jpg?1

I love this build so much. The only improvement I would personally do is to paint the case a black and have a semi smoked glass panel for the side window so it looks black but can still see the light coming through. Also I would get rid of the Apple logo. Great build.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I love this build so much. The only improvement I would personally do is to paint the case a black and have a semi smoked glass panel for the side window so it looks black but can still see the light coming through. Also I would get rid of the Apple logo. Great build.

Thanks! I'm actually thinking of painting part of it black, something like this. I don't want to strip it down though so ill have to see if I can paint it as it is. I might also try plastidip for a matt finish, I haven't decided yet.

Is there a way of redoing the brushed aluminium look because I would look into that.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Thanks! I'm actually thinking of painting part of it black, something like this. I don't want to strip it down though so ill have to see if I can paint it as it is. I might also try plastidip for a matt finish, I haven't decided yet.

Plastidip works as long as you clean it really well, I've done it to mine and it looks fantastic, and I thank you for giving me the inspiration to finish my build :D

bloody nice build.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Is there a way of redoing the brushed aluminium look because I would look into that.

There is no brushed aluminium :s, the aluminium on the outer case is glass blasted.

Plastidip works as long as you clean it really well, I've done it to mine and it looks fantastic, and I thank you for giving me the inspiration to finish my build :D

Good to know, I'll have to try it soon. Good luck with your build. :)

bloody nice build.

Thanks!

Here's a couple more shots of the build in the dark. Believe it or not these are all taken with the mirrored side panel on.

WCDWZ02.jpg

GkSyih6.jpg

LvZmtZA.jpg

Dqg0PiP.jpg 

8KOySZE.jpg 

2KnD7ZM.jpg 

vzqhPeR.jpg

Thanks! Most people are scared that they're going to lose a lot of performance, but that's not necessarily the case. Sure I might have sacrificed a degree or 2, but with the blocks specifically chosen for their flow rates my temperatures are very respectable, and the loop is far cleaner than a serial loop.

Agreed. I'll happily sacrifice a few degrees if it gets me a neater loop. Especially on GPU

blocks water cooling gives you so much thermal overhead (usually) that it really doesn't

matter that much to lose a bit of cooling performance. If your temperatures are so close

to the limit that you really need those last few degrees then you're either doing some sort

of bench competition or your loop is simply not designed adequately IMO.

BTW: Like the build, the double mirror window is a very nice touch. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic