Windows 8.1 OEM

Migit

Hey,

I'm about to buy parts and build my first PC.

I was told to get 64-bit Windows 8.1 OEM (from people here)

Currently flicking through MSY's webpage, as they seem to be the cheapest part provider in my area, and noticed on the page for Windows OEM it has this disclaimer

"Conditions Apply: You can only purchase OEM Windows with system order or if only you are a system builder. For more info please visit http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/localized_licenses.aspx#fbid=8mtl_eJI9mY"

Can someone please explain what this is? Whats the difference between OEM and the Retail copy?

Thank you

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

are you building a system? then you can say you're a system builder.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Hey,

I'm about to buy parts and build my first PC.

I was told to get 64-bit Windows 8.1 OEM (from people here)

Currently flicking through MSY's webpage, as they seem to be the cheapest part provider in my area, and noticed on the page for Windows OEM it has this disclaimer

"Conditions Apply: You can only purchase OEM Windows with system order or if only you are a system builder. For more info please visit http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/localized_licenses.aspx#fbid=8mtl_eJI9mY"

Can someone please explain what this is? Whats the difference between OEM and the Retail copy?

Thank you

You are able to buy it and install it on your computer as there is no test in the setup to see if you are a OEM manufacturer.

There is no difference between Windows 8 Retail and OEM now as W8 now includes flexible licencing which allows you to activate this on different computers as many times as you want: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/how-many-time-can-you-change-the-motherboard-on-a/edff52ca-908e-4a1e-9b4a-45c34b336766 Just use phone activation in order to reactivate it on a new computer.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

are you building a system? then you can say you're a system builder.

I'm building a pc, so i guess so.

You are able to buy it and install it on your computer as there is no test in the setup to see if you are a OEM manufacturer.

There is no difference between Windows 8 Retail and OEM now as W8 now includes flexible licencing which allows you to activate this on different computers as many times as you want: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/how-many-time-can-you-change-the-motherboard-on-a/edff52ca-908e-4a1e-9b4a-45c34b336766 Just use phone activation in order to reactivate it on a new computer.

okay, so the only real difference was the ability to reactivate the same product using the one key?

Guess ill just get OEM as it is cheaper

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe