YouTube now lets you tip your favorite video makers

Akolyte

youtube-logo-rego-korosi-flickr.jpg

If you've been itching to tip YouTube video producers, you'll be glad to know that you can finally reward those people for their hard work: the Fan Funding feature has launched in Australia, Japan, Mexico and the US. If a video host sets up a virtual tip jar, you can use your Google Wallet account (including any attached credit cards) to contribute right from a video page or the Android app. You can specify any amount you like, although YouTube will take a small cut to handle the deal; in the US, it's five percent of your donation plus another 21 cents. Support is coming to both other countries and iOS users soon, so don't despair if you can't contribute to your favorite channel just yet.

Source: Engadget http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/02/youtube-fan-funding/?ncid=rss_truncated

@LinusTech 

Linus should setup a virtual tip jar, then we can send him tips and donations! :D

We should also send Barnacules some tips!

My only worry is that some YouTubers (not Linus) would start begging for tips. 

Woo!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I would tip him <3

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I would tip him <3

So would I :)

I bet Chris Pirillo is beside himself with joy.

Yeah :) Its great for him and Barnacules too!  I would donate to Barnacules!

Yeah :) Its great for him and Barnacules too!  I would donate to Barnacules!

No I meant because he is a notorious whiner about the world owing him a living on youtube.

Barnacules is the total opposite and a great guy.

No I meant because he is a notorious whiner about the world owing him a living on youtube.

Barnacules is the total opposite and a great guy.

Yeah. 

But I mean it would be good to support Barnacules. 

Just the tip

...of the iceberg

:D

"like, tip, favorite, and subscribe to see the latest content" Its coming guys

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Funny, you'd think it'd be either 21 cents or 5%. There's more there than just covering their handling fees.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just the tip

Waited for that one. :D

The advantage of that system would be that it doesn't have to be half a fortune like it is with the forum contributions. The disadvantage is obviously that you can't get any of that forum bling bling goodness.

who cares...

Only affects/enabled on those with 1000 subs or more.

...and.

Linus has over 1,000 subs.

Waited for that one. :D

The advantage of that system would be that it doesn't have to be half a fortune like it is with the forum contributions. The disadvantage is obviously that you can't get any of that forum bling bling goodness.

It also means people who like Linus but aren't on the forum can donate!  Not only that but you can donate a dollar here and there which helps out and gives you control over what you donate. 

I assume you could also donate like $100 or $1,000 if you wanted to. 

Can I tip them products to unbox?

My only worry is that some YouTubers (not Linus) would start begging for tips.

Most people already do this with like ad fly links to support them. it's really simple too and not that hard.

Hopefully it can be anon. tips most of the time unless you want to openly tip. because it can fix a whole lot of problems that can be avoided that way imo.

But a nice feature! really useful actually.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Funny, you'd think it'd be either 21 cents or 5%. There's more there than just covering their handling fees.

Yeah, but YouTube needs to make a little money too.   As long as most of it goes to Linus I'm pretty happy. 

Can I tip them products to unbox?

Most people already do this with like ad fly links to support them. it's really simple too and not that hard.

Hopefully it can be anon. tips most of the time unless you want to openly tip. because it can fix a whole lot of problems that can be avoided that way imo.

But a nice feature! really useful actually.

I'm not sure, but I would hope there could be a feature where you could add like a sentence to your tip.  Give them some constructive critisism or some ideas. 

Either way your right its a great feature and will really help. 

It also means people who like Linus but aren't on the forum can donate!  Not only that but you can donate a dollar here and there which helps out and gives you control over what you donate. 

I assume you could also donate like $100 or $1,000 if you wanted to. 

Yes, it's definiteley driving youtube's spiel forward of getting a serious busines and enabling youtubers to actually make a living. This is helping the liuttle youtubers most of all and youtubers with a high turnover like Linus.

But still, regarding the forum contribtutions with extra bling, 5 CAD a month is sometimes more than i have left on the bank at the end of the month, i just can't help myself but not help Linus. :(

who cares...

Yes, it's definiteley driving youtube's spiel forward of getting a serious busines and enabling youtubers to actually make a living. This is helping the liuttle youtubers most of all and youtubers with a high turnover like Linus.

But still, 5 CAD a month is sometimes more than i have left on the bank at the end of the month, i just can't help myself but not help Linus. :(

Well, it gives you the ability for Linus to maybe say "Hey I want to get a new camera for recording" for example and we can all tip like a dollar and overall allow Linus to improve the channel. 

Neato. This would be great for LMG as a whole, if people donated regularly.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Already possible using Bitcoin and changetip, all with zero fees for the sender and receiver, it's also available worldwide with no restrictions (not just the couple countries listed by youtube).

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.