Old, yet powerful workstation challenge

Hello my fellow techers, and today I have a challenge for you... I have around 700 dollars and I want to make an "outdated" workstation.. I already have a monster gaming pc and I figured why not spend money on an "outdated" workstation. For the CPU I would like to have 2 Intel Xeon X5650 2.66 GHz Processors, this is an outdated processor, but thats the theme of this build. Also, I am using 64 gbs of ddr2 ram. I want to have 2 graphic cards, but one will work too. Space wise Ill have around 5 terabytes of storage. Please help me with finding parts for this build, and also give me opinions and feedback on what you would do differently. If you have a outdated workstation spec list that you'd like to share post it below..Thanks from Nickbojo

Why the hell would you want to make an outdated workstation?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Why the hell would you want to make an outdated workstation?

Cause I want to have fun building a dinosaur.

Ebay is your best friend for finding old workstation parts...

Thanks

Wish I had money to spend on a dinosaur computer lol. 

Black/Red Beast: CPU: i7 4790k Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 980 RAM: 16GB 1866 HyperFury X SSD: 256GB Samsung Evo 840

I assume you will also be using Windows XP?

Yes, I plan on using that.

Hello my fellow techers, and today I have a challenge for you... I have around 700 dollars and I want to make an "outdated" workstation.. I already have a monster gaming pc and I figured why not spend money on an "outdated" workstation. For the CPU I would like to have 2 Intel Xeon X5650 2.66 GHz Processors, this is an outdated processor, but thats the theme of this build. Also, I am using 64 gbs of ddr2 ram. I want to have 2 graphic cards, but one will work too. Space wise Ill have around 5 terabytes of storage. Please help me with finding parts for this build, and also give me opinions and feedback on what you would do differently. If you have a outdated workstation spec list that you'd like to share post it below..Thanks from Nickbojo

This is proof that the statement "there is always one"....exists for a reason. Let me get this straight......everyone in the world wants new stuff and understands that it is worthwhile to spend your hard earned money on something new( not talking about vintage stuff that increases in value with time) but you.....yes you ....are the only guy who wants to buy "outdated" stuff.......

post-3854-0-19551700-1409709349.jpg

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

This is proof that the statement "there is always one"....exists for a reason. Let me get this straight......everyone in the world wants new stuff and understands that it is worthwhile to spend your hard earned money on something new( not talking about vintage stuff that increases in value with time) but you.....yes you ....are the only guy who wants to buy "outdated" stuff.......

attachicon.gifOh no Picard.jpg

He is not the only person who wants to buy outdated stuff. I'm like that too. Yeah, I need my modern stuff, but I do have a knack for putting old computer stuff to good use.

I won't spend a lot of money on old stuff, though.

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

For the most part new tech is less expensive than old tech.

The DDR2 memory will not work with the X5650. According to Intel the cpu supports triple channel DDR3-800/1066/1333.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

He is not the only person who wants to buy outdated stuff. I'm like that too. Yeah, I need my modern stuff, but I do have a knack for putting old computer stuff to good use.

I won't spend a lot of money on old stuff, though.

Are you his brother or something????? :P

I have an outdated workstation beside me. The HP XW8200. it has 2x single core, 2.8 ghz and it  won't accept more than 8gb of ram, IDE (inc floppy). odddly enough it has 2 sata ports on the mobo. (don't forget the quadro/firepro)

Are you his brother or something????? :P

No, but that would be kind of funny if he was. Trust me, my brother isn't like that. My brother is a hardcore gamer wannabe who plays on a suckish AMD Athlon 4000+ and AMD Radeon HD 4670 GPU and can't afford anything more.

No, but that would be kind of funny if he was. Trust me, my brother isn't like that. My brother is a hardcore gamer wannabe who plays on a suckish AMD Athlon 4000+ and AMD Radeon HD 4670 GPU and can't afford anything more.

ok but that is no reason to put him down....what ever happened to brotherly love?

I'm currently building a workstation/server with just those processors... heh

From what i could dig up the supermicro X8DTE-F seems like a good motherboard, i can't say from experience yet as mine's not arrived!

And to all the people complaning how it's outdated... just take a look at how these two processors would walk over your nice new i7's :P price to peformance ratio!

Desktop: i5 2500k @ 4.8GHz stable, 16GB Corsair XMS3, Asus P8P67, Corsair H50 AIO Liquid cooler (worst decision in the build), Corsair GS600, Intel 520 180GB, and to top it all off... An nvidia gt630!

Laptop: Dell Vostro 3360, i7 3517U, 8GB, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, Intel 7260 Dual band AC, Dell 4G wireless modem

Workstation(in the making): Two Xeon X5650 processors (24 threads!), Supermicro X8DTE-F,56 GB ECC ram (more to come, a lot more), very old 'industrial computer' case, supermicro heatsinks (amazingly silent) and as for the rest, i've not bought it yet!

ok but that is no reason to put him down....what ever happened to brotherly love?

Woah I didn't mean it like that! I'm just saying it like it is. I only said "wannabe" in that he has no real gaming hardware besides consoles at his disposal. Hey, to make up I'm a wannabe film maker with no skill, no real camera, no good hardware and no software.

Woah I didn't mean it like that! I'm just saying it like it is. I only said "wannabe" in that he has no real gaming hardware besides consoles at his disposal. Hey, to make up I'm a wannabe film maker with no skill, no real camera, no good hardware and no software.

I was just messing with you...i understood what you were doing. :P