Some Current AMD GPUs Will Support FreeSync

patrickjp93

http://techreport.com/news/27000/amd-only-certain-new-radeons-will-work-with-freesync-displays

290/x and 285 will definitely support it. 260X MIGHT support it with a driver update (no clue how that'll work).

It's not a lengthy article and this is basically the meat of it, but this is straight from AMD's PR people.

EDIT: no news on current APUs or Carrizo supporting it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Too bad I might never get the chance to see one of those monitors in action...

(I'm starting to really hate my country...)

Update: all gcn supported gpus support freesync as long as they have the new displayport, i forgot what the number was, it was an official statement from amd.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

of all cards why the 260x? its a poor card i doubt it can even create enough frames the cause tearing 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Update: all gcn supported gpus support freesync as long as they have the new displayport, i forgot what the number was, it was an official statement from amd.

1.2a. This is a newer update though. It turns out that's not quite true. The older revision of GCN can't possibly implement the protocol unfortunately.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

All APUs (kaveri) will support it as well as ALL  new radeon cards coming out including the 285. This is from that AMD scientist Huddy from the no BS podcast

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

of all cards why the 260x? its a poor card i doubt it can even create enough frames the cause tearing 

For monitors which run at 30 Hz? What about Diablo 2 running at 258 fps?

For monitors which run at 30 Hz? What about Diablo 2 running at 258 fps?

well i doubt many people still have 30hz monitors 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I'm not believing any of the freesync hype until freesync is actually tested. AMD has just been hyping it up constantly, saying that it will be better than G-sync, but they don't even have anything to show yet.

Before anyone says anything, no I'm not fanboying over Nvidia. I'd be saying the same thing if this were the other way around. Right now all freesync is is some magical technology that we've never seen except once, but if I remember correctly it was a special thing that only worked on that laptop screen.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

All APUs (kaveri) will support it as well as ALL  new radeon cards coming out including the 285. This is from that AMD scientist Huddy from the no BS podcast

But all the Kaveri APU boards have only DP 1.2, not 1.2a, and that's not quite possible because that's still the older GCN revision.

I'm not believing any of the freesync hype until freesync is actually tested. AMD has just been hyping it up constantly, saying that it will be better than G-sync, but they don't even have anything to show yet. Before anyone says anything, no I'm not fanboying over Nvidia. I'd be saying the same thing if this were the other way around. Right now all freesync is is some magical technology that we've never seen except once, but if I remember correctly it was a special thing that only worked on that laptop screen.

And crashed a lot. :P

There is no news in this article. Variable framerate in games only work with GCN 1.1. GCN 1 is only for video playback and power savings. This has been public knowledge for months. What a dumb article. They even call rebranded 7000 series cards for new.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

There is no news in this article. Variable framerate in games only work with GCN 1.1. GCN 1 is only for video playback and power savings. This has been public knowledge for months. What a dumb article. They even call rebranded 7000 series cards for new.

We're on GCN 1.2 right now going forward. Please keep up. And yes, AMD rebrands older HD GPUs into the Radeon series. What else is new? This is news, just not much.

We're on GCN 1.2 right now going forward. Please keep up. And yes, AMD rebrands older HD GPUs into the Radeon series. What else is new? This is news, just not much.

Keep up? What are you on about? Full Freesync support is from GCN 1.1. What relevance does 1.2 have in this? The article you have posted, has been public official knowledge, from AMD themselves for months now. No news here. 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Keep up? What are you on about? Full Freesync support is from GCN 1.1. What relevance does 1.2 have in this? The article you have posted, has been public official knowledge, from AMD themselves for months now. No news here. 

Feel free to find a conclusive report on such. Techreport tends to stay close to the leading edge of tech news.

Nice article. I'd probably choose IPS or gsync over freesync though. :/ 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

In other news some current AMD gpus will not support FreeSync.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Feel free to find a conclusive report on such. Techreport tends to stay close to the leading edge of tech news.

This article is from MAY: http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/18798-amd-om-dynamiska-uppdateringsfrekvenser-med-project-freesync/2

Telling me to keep up, then posts 3 months old "news". Seriously.

I'm going to come across as a cocky bastard for saying this, but you really can't beat me when it comes to doing research and knowing the facts.

This article is from MAY: http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/18798-amd-om-dynamiska-uppdateringsfrekvenser-med-project-freesync/2

Telling me to keep up, then posts 3 months old "news". Seriously.

Interesting. I'm going to be having a long word with techreport. Time for an author to be fired.