US Navy tests ships in state of the art "indoor ocean"

nicehat

sep14_k10_phenom.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.j

Inching closer to being able to conquer all that mother nature can dish, the Naval Surface Warfare Center in MD has recently installed 216 state of the art electronically controlled wave boards in  a 12-million-gallon, football-field-size pool  to make the most sophisticated wave testing basin in the world. Scaled down fiberglass models of everything from cruisers to submarines (all scaled down to the size of a canoe) are tested in waves that max out at a few feet high. 

The hinged wave boards (ea with its own motor synced up to software) can precisely recreate 8 different ocean conditions (flat and calm all the way to typhoon grade) acoss all 7 seas. This is all important to assess whether missles can be launched on turbulent seas, and if helicoptors can land properly (unlike the navy helicopter accident off the coast of Africa 

A relic from the 1960s, the old pneumatic-powered wave system couldn’t replicate complicated open-ocean conditions, which are driven by local winds and far-off hurricanes. The testing team sometimes had to take remote-control models to the actual ocean, scouring weather reports for the perfect chop. Other seafarers have mistaken the models for “Cuban drug-smuggling submarines,” says test director Calvin Krishen. “We hear about it in the bars afterward.”

Salty stories aside, the excursions were not efficient. Simulations in the newly improved freshwater pool (the difference in density between it and saltwater is mathematically accounted for) can cover in six weeks scenarios that took many months of voyaging to recreate. Recently, the Navy tested a missile submarine slated to become operational in 2031. Other tests are classified.

At the moment the indoor ocean is programmed to frequencies and wavelengths found in the North Sea. Similar tech has been implemented to make waves like alphabet letters. 

Check out the un-embeddable video here

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/navy-tests-ships-indoor-ocean-180952431/

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Wow thats pretty big. don't think it can fit a big vessal in there nicely though

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I didn't realise how big it was at first, then I saw the people on the right of it...

Forgot to mention its size...edited

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Wow thats pretty big. don't think it can fit a big vessal in there nicely though

It's for models. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to fit much of a shit in there lol.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

It's for models. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to fit much of a shit in there lol.

Yep thats what I thought but it's huge enough for smaller ones.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

State of the art? Its from the 60s.

That is all a matter of perspective. North Korea's new submarine was considered obsolete by the Russians in 1956, but their dear leader seems pretty thrilled to have it... ;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

You didnt read the part about recently installing equipment to re-create waves and typhoon conditions? 

Why does this even need to exist when Matlab exists? Seems pretty pointless unless they are leasing it for film sets or something.

Even if it was for some reason impossible to do in Matlab, a hydraulic platform would be able to create more sea conditions than this, surely?

Why does this even need to exist when Matlab exists? Seems pretty pointless unless they are leasing it for film sets or something.

They run computer simulations on cars as well. But they still need real life data in wind tunnels. These ships also obviously go through simulations from material science to the end construction, but real life data will always trump simulations any day....because thats where its going to be expected to work

Even if it was for some reason impossible to do in Matlab, a hydraulic platform would be able to create more sea conditions than this, surely?

The problem with mathematical simulation is not that they are not accurate, but that they are so incredibly dependent on your input criteria. More often then not that input criteria can be incredibly complex and this makes an accurate simulation on this type of scale a very difficult task.

As for the hydraulic platform, the larger the scale the more accurate the test as the individual particles of water (and steel for that matter) do not scale.

BTW, programs like ANSYS would be a better choice for this type of simulation anyway. ;)

So... It's a big fucking pool with waves?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That looks pretty bad ass. Still scalled to a size thats fairly large and representable. One day, a person should just fill it full of fish to make it a "real" scalled ocean.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

If you form the letters together into words and words into sentences you will notice that a mysterious algorithm that states the "relic from the 60's" was the old one that this is replacing.

Having some fun with tax money :D

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Having some fun with tax money :D

The gov is getting awfully good at that these days.

I guess there isn't enough interest in the "making in-door oceans" business that this is the best we got.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

The worst thing to hear when working there is probably

"Um.. Boss.. We've.. We've had.. A bit of a leak"

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I'd rather this than funding the NSA

Valid point.

I want to swim through this and have the ships simulate an attempt to take me down while i fight them off so i can feel like some kind of super powerful monster crushing the puny Navy below me. Then just when i think i've won, a guy dressed as gypsy danger joins in and then we have our own Pacific Rim movie on a budget. If only i was a millionaire. This is the kind of crazy shit i would get upto.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

In the post it says it's intended for scaled down fiberglass versions of ships.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I want to swim through this and have the ships simulate an attempt to take me down while i fight them off so i can feel like some kind of super powerful monster crushing the puny Navy below me. Then just when i think i've won, a guy dressed as gypsy danger joins in and then we have our own Pacific Rim movie on a budget. If only i was a millionaire. This is the kind of crazy shit i would get upto.

We have a winner!

Use the thing to shoot a sentai-ish kaiju B-movie as a recruitment stunt for the navy.