I want to start editing pictures..

Smooth Bunz

So I think I take pretty good pictures with my 4-5 year old sony a300 but I want to make them stand out more.

Should I use after effect, light room, or photoshop? 

If anyone is free could you edit this pic? I want to see what i can potentially do. 

http://i.imgur.com/JT4dkL2.jpg

3oK2bEd.gif

If you want to really alter pictures, add things, remove things, etc, you'll need photoshop. If you just want to edit the look, things like exposure, grading, look, etc, with some light touch ups, Lightroom is much easier and faster, as you can batch edit, work with entire folders, etc. Luckily, you can get both right now for $10 a month.

After Effects is basically photoshop but for video, so no you don't need that. You theoretically can edit pictures (sometimes I do, since I use After Effects a lot more), but it's a little janky and doesn't really make sense.

Workstation: i7-4930k | Asus Rampage IV Gene | Reference GTX 780 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | Corsair RM650 | MidNight Black BitFenix Prodigy M

Old Rigi5-2500k @ 4.7 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | EVGA GTX 560 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | 240 GB Samsung 830 Pro | 1TB Hitachi | CoolerMaster Storm Scout (1)

If you want to really alter pictures, add things, remove things, etc, you'll need photoshop. If you just want to edit the look, things like exposure, grading, look, etc, with some light touch ups, Lightroom is much easier and faster, as you can batch edit, work with entire folders, etc. Luckily, you can get both right now for $10 a month.

After Effects is basically photoshop but for video, so no you don't need that. You theoretically can edit pictures (sometimes I do, since I use After Effects a lot more), but it's a little janky and doesn't really make sense.

Light room it is!

You sound exactly like my Photoshop teacher.

Is your name Steve by any chance? Kappa

In depth editing is for photoshop. Light editing (contrast, exposure and stuff) is for lightroom. Down below are the basic things you can do in Lightroom:

6a6212b3f0e093e1b702c19282c2e952.png af355ba9eeda62bf26b2c293a3793483.png 5bcb1dba1e8778b31d20001078b2dfbe.png a36b18f3aab3acf1ea36417608a7dc25.png

The coolest thing is this though - changable "nameplates"

046c35aac8d2b886da9f092c0b2c9365.png

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

If you decide to use Lightroom you should shoot in raw to take advantage of its full potential. The files are bigger but it gives so much more flexibility in post. Also I think Adobe have bundled photoshop and lightroom into one CC package, so you might want to have a look into that.