Are AMD drivers really that bad?

leelaa14
Go to solution Solved by Archangel1994,

Massively over-exaggerated. I for one hate the Nvidia drivers lol, they look so shite and and have a ease of use of a cow. I have Nvidia on my laptop and AMD in my PC and I have less trouble with the AMD driver than I do with the Nvidia driver.

Edit: Also you can get the sapphire Tri-x for £380, not £400 and you can get a 780 Ti for £460, not £500

Hey guys, first off i would like to state, i don't intend on starting any fanboy wars here, just looking for some honest user experience and non biased opinions.
I was planning on getting a gtx 780 ti sc acx for £500, but now i've found a r9 290x vapor x for £400. Now i'm more inclined on getting the latter as it works out i will be paying around £100 for an extra 10fps with the nvidia card.
The only thing putting me off is, I've been reading that amd are quite bad compared to nvidia with there drivers, can anyone tell me a little more about this?

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Massively over-exaggerated. I for one hate the Nvidia drivers lol, they look so shite and and have a ease of use of a cow. I have Nvidia on my laptop and AMD in my PC and I have less trouble with the AMD driver than I do with the Nvidia driver.

Edit: Also you can get the sapphire Tri-x for £380, not £400 and you can get a 780 Ti for £460, not £500

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Massively over-exaggerated. I for one hate the Nvidia drivers lol, they look so shite and and have a easy of use of a cow. I have Nvidia on my laptop and AMD in my PC and I have less trouble with the AMD driver than I do with the Nvidia driver.

just what i was after, someone who uses both. Well  think i would be a fool no to snap that amd card up for so cheap :)

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

From my experience Nvidia drivers have been more stable but I've only spent a few hours with Nvidia cards. AMD's drivers aren't as bad as people make out but they do have their problems every so often.

just what i was after, someone who uses both. Well  think i would be a fool no to snap that amd card up for so cheap :)

It's personal preference though. Getting a 780 Ti for £460 could be well worth taking over a £400 R9 290x though.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I never had any problems with (legacy) AMD drivers last 3 or 4 years... I've had some problems with nvidia... Also both make crappy drivers for Linux, installing the drivers for the quadro in my laptop was a fucking pain in the ass and they even corrupted grub on my laptop, something I would not expect from a workstation/professional gpu since you pay a lot for the drivers that come with it...

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

From my experience Nvidia drives have been more stable but I've only spent a few hours with Nvidia cards. AMD's drivers aren't as bad as people make out but they do have there problems every so often.

Name a problem. I've yet to run into one.

AMD drivers have issues more often than nvidia, but its just a matter of luck whether you have issues or not with either one.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

nope, there fine now, nvidia is still ahead for multicard by a little though

Being able to only "multicard" exact thesame gpu's with nvidia plays a huge role in that I think, AMD is a bit more "mix and match" kindof style. It does not rectify it but it certainly plays a role I think even if you use exact thesame gpu's...

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

I've built three AMD systems this week. A FX6300 and 2x FX8350's

None have any driver issues, flawlessly perfect through All testings done.

If your installing drivers in the RIGHT ORDER, you'll have zero issues.

Both companies have GPU drivers that can be buggy, but it aint hard to switch them out for another set.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Display drivers stop responding.

Not once have I had this issue, even when my PC crashed during installation but eh, it's also luck I guess.

Seen that many times by both companies..

But Not really one more than another....

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I've owned 4 nvidia cards in the past decade. NV/ATI***.dll stopped responding and has recovered is par for the course for both sides. back in Nvidia's Fermi days it only took a youtube video to crash the Nvidia driver.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I have experience with both, the new amd drivers are massively improved compared to the older versions and now I can barely tell the difference in quality between those and the nvidia drivers.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hey guys, first off i would like to state, i don't intend on starting any fanboy wars here, just looking for some honest user experience and non biased opinions.

I was planning on getting a gtx 780 ti sc acx for £500, but now i've found a r9 290x vapor x for £400. Now i'm more inclined on getting the latter as it works out i will be paying around £100 for an extra 10fps with the nvidia card.

The only thing putting me off is, I've been reading that amd are quite bad compared to nvidia with there drivers, can anyone tell me a little more about this?

Drivers stop responding sometimes. From what I see, Nvidia cards offer better features like forcing V-Sync and such, but AMD drivers aren't "that bad". They offer the same features, and both gets the job done correctly. (Mostly)

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

AMD drivers have improved in the last 3 years

my 6950s were some of the worst experience i ever had, broken crossfire and horrible stuttering not found on later cards, with crossfire profiles that never came out not to mention drivers that broke things but fixed others. i have to give it to amd they really have come a long away

I'm fairly sure OCUK have a 780ti stocked for £425 right now. But there's going to be little difference between the two in real-terms.

I've never had issues with either company's drivers.

People have different experiences with drivers for either AMD or Nvidia.

Overall, the drivers for AMD are fine. When people say they are bad, they most likely used the original drivers which came with the card and didn't bother updating, or just happened to have one small driver issue with a specific game which could've been resolved by trying a different driver version. Heck, it could've even been an issue with the game itself, not the card.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Drivers stop responding sometimes. From what I see, Nvidia cards offer better features like forcing V-Sync and such, but AMD drivers aren't "that bad". They offer the same features, and both gets the job done correctly. (Mostly)

You can force Vsync with AMD cards...

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

A bit though they are getting better

I love how easy it is to keep up to date with geforce experiance

Catalyst control centre and drivers for my CF 7970m has been a nightmare,

EDIT: the drivers once installed are fine but I always had issues with CCC, and just getting things working in general, also inconsistent performance across drivers

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The only problem I had with AMD drivers is that Mafia II is unplayable with AMD 14.7 Beta. (try it if you want)

Nope I personally hate Nvidia drivers the thing with driver issues is usually you hear of them from a Vocal minority who had a difficult time once and swears by it...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Both have their issues, random crap that happens. For example I've had quite a few systems where Nvidia drivers constantly crashed for some stupid reasons. On my PC I had 0 problems with them, but since the 320 driver I've had problems with flash crashing the driver, not sure whos fault that is.

Radeon drivers are good, but I also had random crap with them. At a friends place installing the driver changed the refresh rate of the monitor to 59Hz (60Hz default) and it made the image mess up for some reason. Took me an hour to figure it out, but as soon as I switched it back to 60Hz it worked perfectly fine. But again, I'm now on an AMD card in my PC (after 6 years of Nvidia). And it runs perfectly fine and smooth, I love it. :)