Need information on Wired Networking distance

RicHaj

Hey there all!

So, this is just because i want to be sure before i commit one way or the other. As i received a somewhat weird (to my understanding) info about how to setup my internet network.

So basically this is what is going on...

In my House we have a main pc where the internet goes. From there, to a simple router comes the Rj45 that travels at just about 20-30 meters to my PC on another room. We also have a Wi-Fi setup with a simple athena that gives us Good to Great reception all around the house. 

Now, i'm a few months away from moving all my stuff to another place in the house and my pc is going to another room that is in the same lot, but not physically connected to the house. It is just about 15 meters from where i am right now, so overall, 35-50 meters from the Main router. 

We do get consistent strong WiFi to that area of the house (My Ps4 stays there and i never had problems downloading or updating or going to PSN or anything), but i do enjoy gaming online. And i do a far bit of 'overnight uploading' of videos and files. So a constant connection is a necessity for me. 

For me to get a Lan cable to that room i would have to go around the roof and walls of the lot to circle around  the borders to reach the new room. It is not insane, it's just a ton of cable to lay. Here is the curve ball though... as i was taking some info with a tech guy, just trying to understand the best method to go about this and trading thoughts with someone else who knows some of this stuff... he said my only hope WAS the Wi-Fi, because the main router would simply be too far away from my PC and that amount of cable would make sure that i had shitty connection or none at all. 

....which i thought was really weird.

We are talking here, if i could just spitball a number, a good 100m of Lan Cable connecting the router to my pc in the new room... i don't want to simply dismiss what he just said, then lay a ton of work of cable all around just to end up at a dead end. So i'm asking here first... is there some sense to what he said to me or is he just full of BS about this one?

Thanks! 

if i recall  correctly the max effective distance of cat6e patch cable is around 50m and after that you would lose data transmission but don't quote me on that

Cat5, 5e, 6, 6a and 7 are all rated @ 100m (~300ft).

Well, what'u know... would never think of that. 

One thing i was thinking as a solution would be to Bridge a second router in. Like, take the existing Lan cable on my Old room, make a connection to a new point and bring the Cable from that to the new room, would effectively reduce the distance of the single piece of cable from about 100 meters from source to maybe 30-40 from the midway point... but honestly, i'm out of my depth with this. 

Would suck to be stuck with Wi Fi though... 

What @Ssoele said. 100m is what they are rated for.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

for future reference i saw this video which also helped a lot, 

Cat5, 5e, 6, 6a and 7 are all rated @ 100m (~300ft).

This is correct. 100m max, end-to-end including patch cables, runs in walls and etc.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

Wifi has a range like ethernet, but more like 20 meters. Unfortunatly for WIfi you have interference more than wired due to a lot of electronic devices broadcasting on different frequencies.

This is why "channels" are handy, too get away from interference. This doesnt help when your neighbor is on the same range !!

Edit : Also yeah I know that differnt wifi signal wavelengths reach certain distances, but homes are about 20 meters. I have set up an Wifi device that has an max distance of 3 Kms.