Recently started experiencing extremely heavy artifacting and crashes

Hey all, this is my first post ever here so I apologize in advance if I'm missing any crucial info, formatting mistakes, etc. :unsure:

Anyway, my computer has recently been experiencing some extreme artifacting during gaming and even basic use. Often times I can't even make it past the windows log-in before the screen starts artifacting all over the place and proceeds to crash to a blank white display. Even when the PC doesn't crash at this point, it'll crash to white 95% of the time I try to play a game or run a 3D benchmark. I have also recently been hearing a strange noise coming from what seems to be the GPU (I don't think it's coil whine) that sounds like a piece of metal is snagging on to something. I don't really know the best way to describe it, but it happens on intervals, so ever second or so I'll hear the noise. 

I've tried a number of software related fixes, ie updating bios, deleting extra programs, updating drivers, and nothing has yielded any lasting results. 

In terms of the root of the issue, it started about a week ago. I'm not sure if this is related, but my WiFi adapter crapped out on me one day so I opened up the case to make sure everything was in place. I didn't touch the gpu and the wifi capabilities have since been working great, but a day or so after is when I started experiencing all these issues.

Major Specs:

-asrock h97 mini-itx

-asus r9 280x DirectCU II

-i5-4570k

-vengeance 4x2 ram

-240gb corsair force gt ssd

-corsair 760w 80+ platinum fully modular power supply

-running Windows 8.1 64bit

Any ideas as to what the issue might be? Did I mess something up when I opened up the case? Is the GPU fried? Could this be a mobo issue? Could it possibly be a software issue or virus/malware problem? Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my first real foray into the PC world and I'm having a bit of a freak out over this haha :(  Thanks!

if its from the gpu and its snagging metal maybe the fan is malfunctioning and the gpu is overheating, but thats just me

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

i like how u ddnt add what GPU u have in that list .......

but since ur experiencing artifacts then im am extremely certain the GPu is very close to death

u can fix it if u throw the bare PCB in the oven (google it : GPU oven) if u still have warranty just RMA it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

if its from the gpu and its snagging metal maybe the fan is malfunctioning and the gpu is overheating, but thats just me

I've checked the gpu temp with afterburner and it never seems to be abnormally high. Usually sits around 30C and when I do get a game/benchmark running it goes up to 70C max. 

i like how u ddnt add what GPU u have in that list .......

but since ur experiencing artifacts then im am extremely certain the GPu is very close to death

u can fix it if u throw the bare PCB in the oven (google it : GPU oven) if u still have warranty just RMA it

Sorry, it didn't really stand out. Its an Asus r9 280x DirectCU II.

Hi,

I agree if the GPU isnt overheating, I would just return it anyway, it could be a load of other solder based issues on the PCB or if you are sure the GPU is fine, then maybe you should check the CPU temps and maybe reseat the heat sink, not many people realise that too much heatsink paste is worse than too little as it becomes an insulator and can cause the CPU to overheat. 

Hi,

I agree if the GPU isnt overheating, I would just return it anyway, it could be a load of other solder based issues on the PCB or if you are sure the GPU is fine, then maybe you should check the CPU temps and maybe reseat the heat sink, not many people realise that too much heatsink paste is worse than too little as it becomes an insulator and can cause the CPU to overheat. 

CPU temps don't seem to be very high either. 

It seems to be a GPU issue, but just wondering, is there any chance this is a virus or windows issue and not an actual harware problem? 

Anybody else have any ideas as to whether or not this is a hardware issue or if it's software/malware related?

Just a little more information, I'll usually start getting artifacts right as soon as a boot up, sometimes as early as the mobo launch screen. When the PC does work it'll work for around 5-10 minutes before the screen artifacts and crashes again.