Need a new headset, kind of picky

newcster2

I feel silly making a thread asking about a headset when there are hundreds of these threads all over the place, but here's my contribution to the mess :)

So I'm looking at buying a new headset soon, currently I have a Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headset, and I'm seriously over it and feeling like it's time to get a new one.

-Seriously prefer over-ear, but if an on-ear headset is comfortable enough to keep on my head for extended periods of time, I'd be okay with it

-I don't want another headset with a quiet, crappy microphone that breaks

-I listen to a TON of music across literally every genre, so sound quality (as always) is really important to me

-I like low-tones, but obviously I don't want to drown out all the sound with obnoxious over-powering bass

-RGB lighting is a huge plus

edit:

-I have no sound card other than what's integrated on my motherboard (Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac))

-Wireless might be really nice but I've never had any kind of wireless audio and I've heard it can have lesser sound quality and latency that would be an issue for competitive gaming.

Figured LTT forum would be a great place to get a recommendation, a friend of mine mentioned the SteelSeries Siberia Elite, but I haven't heard anything good or bad about the sound quality and haven't heard a review of it from any audiophiles so I'm not going to jump to it right away.

F**k it, what about the AKG K612 PRO and a Blue Yeti Microphone?  I do stream so the microphone quality is worth it, opinions?

Thanks for the help!

Wouldn't you be better off heading to Head-Fi? Since that's where most audiophiles go to discuss headsets/headphones among other things.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Wouldn't you be better off heading to Head-Fi? Since that's where most audiophiles go to discuss headsets/headphones among other things.

I'll see what I can find over there, but I myself am not an audiophile, I just mentioned that I hadn't heard anything about the Siberia Elite headset for better or worse in terms of sound quality.  I also feel that my Razer Tiamat has poor sound quality, I don't want another headset that focuses on lame analog surround or something silly like that.

We can handle it on this forum just fine.

Before I begin you won't find any good headphones with any lighting. It will be on your head so you will never see it anyway.

For your budget I suggest picking up some AKG k612's or DT 880's.

I feel silly making a thread asking about a headset when there are hundreds of these threads all over the place, but here's my contribution to the mess :)

So I'm looking at buying a new headset soon, currently I have a Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headset, and I'm seriously over it and feeling like it's time to get a new one.

-Seriously prefer over-ear, but if an on-ear headset is comfortable enough to keep on my head for extended periods of time, I'd be okay with it

-I don't want another headset with a quiet, crappy microphone that breaks

-I listen to a TON of music across literally every genre, so sound quality (as always) is really important to me

-I like low-tones, but obviously I don't want to drown out all the sound with obnoxious over-powering bass

-RGB lighting is a huge plus

edit:

-I have no sound card other than what's integrated on my motherboard (Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac))

-Wireless might be really nice but I've never had any kind of wireless audio and I've heard it can have lesser sound quality and latency that would be an issue for competitive gaming.

Figured LTT forum would be a great place to get a recommendation, a friend of mine mentioned the SteelSeries Siberia Elite, but I haven't heard anything good or bad about the sound quality and haven't heard a review of it from any audiophiles so I'm not going to jump to it right away.

Thanks for the help!

People often recommend the CHC Silverado ($50), ATH M40x ($95), Kingston HyperX Cloud Headset ($85?) for the sub $100 category. Past that you're probably looking at a headphone with a modmic attached to it or a seperate desktop mic.

Wouldn't you be better off heading to Head-Fi? Since that's where most audiophiles go to discuss headsets/headphones among other things.

So your idea is to tell other people to take their advice elsewhere? If he goes there I bet he'll come back with multiple tubes. What is up with these people that never post in audio subsection offering the darnedest advice, lol. Have some faith in this forum, mate. In LTT We Trust!

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

So your idea is to tell other people to take their advice elsewhere? If he goes there I bet he'll come back with multiple tubes. What is up with these people that never post in audio subsection offering the darnedest advice, lol. Have some faith in this forum, mate. In LTT We Trust!

Since OP was being picky i thought i'd show him another avenue, he still can get feedback here. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Since OP was being picky i thought i'd show him another avenue, he still can get feedback here. 

Headfi is infamous for being a breeding-ground for placebo and expectation bias. Anybody that goes there needs to have a BS filter to know when they are reading BS and when they are getting the real deal. Although, it seems the lower end the gear, the better the signal to noise ratio... (Hah! See what I did there?!  :lol: ) 

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Headfi is infamous for being a breeding-ground for placebo and expectation bias. Anybody that goes there needs to have a BS filter to know when they are reading BS and when they are getting the real deal. Although, it seems the lower end the gear, the better the signal to noise ratio... (Hah! See what I did there?! :lol: )

Hey but their Classifieds are pretty good. I've gotten a few deals from there before haha.

I appreciate the 2 posts that actually suggested headphones to me, the AKG K612 PRO headphone looks nice, however I really need a microphone and a modmic does not sound attractive to me.  Are there really not any headSETS that don't sound horrible?

I can see where a light-up fashion statement of a headset like the SteelSeries Siberia Elite would be assumed to have sub-par sound, but has anyone here actually heard it?  I can't find a review of it here or on Head-Fi!  It is advertised as 'multi-purpose'; you can take it with you and plug it into a smartphone to listen to your music anywhere, and to me that must mean they at least tried to make it sound good.

that must mean they at least tried to make it sound good.

It sounds decent, but for the asking price there are a lot of way better headphones produced by actual audio companies. You'd definitely be paying for the swag factor instead of audio quality.

May I suggest the HyperX Cloud? It has the build quality of a decent headphone, at the very least. Not a lot of sub-$200 headsets unless you can find one from Sennheiser that's on sale. Oh hey look, PC 350 for $135.

I appreciate the 2 posts that actually suggested headphones to me, the AKG K612 PRO headphone looks nice, however I really need a microphone and a modmic does not sound attractive to me.  Are there really not any headSETS that don't sound horrible?

I can see where a light-up fashion statement of a headset like the SteelSeries Siberia Elite would be assumed to have sub-par sound, but has anyone here actually heard it?  I can't find a review of it here or on Head-Fi!  It is advertised as 'multi-purpose'; you can take it with you and plug it into a smartphone to listen to your music anywhere, and to me that must mean they at least tried to make it sound good.

No, the elites suck. I tried them at logans and they're a weird on ear/over ear setup and it's also both uncomfortable and makes it sound weird. On top of the fact that they don't sound good. The V2's are much better.

The only headset that has good quality both regarding mic and sound quality are the MMX300's and the ADG1. But you're paying a huge premium for what stands for about $140-160 headphones and a $40 mic.

If you don't care about overpaying go for that. If you want to save some money, buy headphones and a mic separately.

No, the elites suck. I tried them at logans and they're a weird on ear/over ear setup and it's also both uncomfortable and makes it sound weird. On top of the fact that they don't sound good. The V2's are much better.

The only headset that has good quality both regarding mic and sound quality are the MMX300's and the ADG1. But you're paying a huge premium for what stands for about $140-160 headphones and a $40 mic.

If you don't care about overpaying go for that. If you want to save some money, buy headphones and a mic separately.

so the AG1 and g4me zero and g4me one arent good?

As a lot said already. Buy a HeadPhone and buy thbe Modmic.

I have the BeyerDynamic Custom One pro and just received my Modmic. Just awesome combination. Plmus the Custom One pro as great features and really good sound. FUCK THAT SHIT IS REAL!!

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

Second on the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros, fantastic cans with adjustable bass ports that actually make a huge difference.

as for a mic go with blue snowball or yeti.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Except that they are grossly over priced.

I already explained that, but if he wants a headset those are the best.

I already explained that, but if he wants a headset those are the best.

I would argue the Cloud is better because its reasonably priced for similar quality.