SSD Starts dead in system boot

Icaras

Hi there,

This is a highly unusual problem for me because I don't actually know what causes it, or what fixes it but I've figured out a work around.

I have a Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD as my main boot drive for windows. It's got a couple of other critical applications on it, but nothing too serious. I'm also using a WD Black 1TB and they're both plugged into my Z97 Gaming 5 MSI Motherboard. I'm not using an m2.sata drive and these are the only hard drives I am using.

When I go to bed, when I wake up in the morning after 8-10 hours of power off on my PC, when I boot the PC won't start and my keyboard doesn't load (I'm using a Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013) but it seems to be all USB devices don't load. I get an error saying "No bootable drive" (because my ssd isn't being detected) and I can't even select which drive to boot from to see if it's on the list because every single restart my usb doesn't load.

So if I take out the SATA cable from my 840 Pro, my PC will boot and I can go into bios. If I plug in my 840 Pro Sata cable (the power cable has stayed in) while I am in bios, and restart; my USBs work and Windows detects that the 840 pro is my boot selection. However I have to do this every single morning, but it won't happen if I restart my PC during the day.

What's even weirder is there are days where for 4-5 days I don't need to do this in the morning and I can just straight turn on my PC, so I put my side panel back on and after 5 days it'll start happening again.

Is this a problem with my motherboard, with windows, with my sata cables, or my 840 pro or maybe even something else?

Bios is up to date and I honestly don't know what could be causing this as i've been fine for months

So, you plugged the drive in whilst it was powered on? Usually if you removed the sata/power cable on a mechanical drive whilst your rig is running, you'd brick the drive.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

So, you plugged the drive in whilst it was powered on? Usually if you removed the sata/power cable on a mechanical drive whilst your rig is running, you'd brick the drive.

I'm pretty sure this isn't to blame, have you ever seen a hotswap bay? It may be the case that removing a drive while it was being used could damage the data, but simply unplugging the power from the drive won't "brick the drive".

OP, have you tried resetting the CMOS/BIOS settings or removing and reinstalling the MB battery? Have you tested the motherboard battery? This sounds like a really strange issue.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Hey there,

I would go with @FizzyFantom and also suggest testing if the CMOS/BIOS battery. If it's faulty or just old and it does not charge anymore it happens that the rest of the computer goes to deep sleep after you shut it down for a bit (in your case - for the whole night). You can try shutting it down for several minutes or half an hour during the day to see if this problem occurs. Try also checking what the usual voltage of the battery should be in the manufacturer manual and then measure it in the morning. If it's lower or complete zero - you should just change it and your problem should be fixed. 

It should be either that or big bad monsters roam around your computer at night :)

Keep us updated on how this is resolving,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Quite a weird issue, a few things you can try is:

Unplug the drive (both power and sata) for 30 seconds and plug it back in, see if it helps.(Had an issue a year ago with my vertex 2 where it would bluescreen because i pushed an oc too far, and a reboot caused it to dissapear,and removing the power and sata for 30 sec resolved it, and it's still running strong)

Also check if there isn't a firmware update for your ssd, it might have been an issue that is fixed with a newer version. (seems latest firmware is  DXM06B0Q)