Planning to buy a 120GB SSD but OS use or game use only?

freexavier

I'm planning to buy a 120GB SSD in the future, but should I use it too for the OS or for games only? Also I'm planning to put in BF3(34GB) and BF4(47GB 1 DLC still to come) with all DLC. And also ArmA Combined Operations(21.6GB). So in total my games will occupy 103.6GB and my OS uses around 20GB and don't forget the other programs I will install that is around 15GB. I play games a lot and browse the web but it takes 7 to 15 second to load a page since my internet isn't fast. Also I don't use any sort of anti-virus. They just slow down your PC for no good reason and haven't installed one in 3.5 years and had no problem. Maybe because I reset my PC every 3 months to keep it clean. Also what does the OS benefit from SSDs? So now, what is best?

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

Definitely put your os and other programs onto it. The greatest benefit of getting a ssd is the increased responsiveness from installing your programs and OS onto it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Remember that the formatted capacity of the drive will be less and SF controlled drives lose performance quite rapidly when they are very full, just splurge a bit and grab a 180GB or 240 if you can stretch the budget a little more

OS first, I made the mistake of only using it for games at first and I ended up doing a fresh install. Everything just feels so smooth when you have your OS on your SSD. You should be able to store maybe one game on your SSD after installing everything else.

i5-4670k @4.2GHz Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 @1135MHz 1600MHz G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Corsair K70 Logitech G502 Proteus Core Logitech G230 Blue Snowball SteelSeries QcK+

YouTube // Steam // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

snip

Definitely put the OS and key programs like the browser etc on

Makes your PC so snappy and responsive, especially opening closing programs and start up/shutdown etc

Can you not stretch to a 240gb ssd? like an MX100

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Definitely put your os and other programs onto it. The greatest benefit of getting a ssd is the increased responsiveness from installing your programs and OS onto it. 

Okay thanks.

Remember that the formatted capacity of the drive will be less and SF controlled drives lose performance quite rapidly when they are very full, just splurge a bit and grab a 180GB or 240 if you can stretch the budget a little more

So I will save up I guess for a something like 180GB I guess. Anyways I'm not buying any game this year since all of them are crap.

OS first, I made the mistake of only using it for games at first and I ended up doing a fresh install. Everything just feels so smooth when you have your OS on your SSD. You should be able to store maybe one game on your SSD after installing everything else.

Okay then. Thanks.

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

You can save a few gigabytes by using Windows NTFS compression.

What do you mean? I don't know much about complicated stuff about PC.(and I don't have an console and never did have one)

Definitely put the OS and key programs like the browser etc on

Makes your PC so snappy and responsive, especially opening closing programs and start up/shutdown etc

Can you not stretch to a 240gb ssd? like an MX100

I'm not sure if I can. Maybe around 150GB to 180GB.

You can save a few gigabytes by using Windows NTFS compression.

It's generally not worth the time and resources and I'd suggest just disabling or lowering the Windows paging file if space is an issue and if there is an adequate amount of ram available.  

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm not sure if I can. Maybe around 150GB to 180GB.

Budget?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

folder_properties_advanced.png

Oh okay, but wouldn't it slow down if done so?

It's generally not worth the time and resources and I'd suggest just disabling or lowering the Windows paging file if space is an issue and if there is an adequate amount of ram available.  

I disable my paging files since I got 12GB of RAM.

Budget?

At the moment I got round $68 in USD, but it will increase over time. Also my rest of my money is with my dad which is around $60 in USD. Also I am buying locally since I live in the Philippines and buying online is harder and turns out the same price and also prices here a slightly more then the original.

I would recommend using your os on your ssd there are still a few minor problems with them all the main one I know if that if your constantly putting more files then moving them later would mean your ssd will slow down and this is a reason I don't use them at

Never got interested in ssd so don't take my opinion badly....

I would recommend using your os on your ssd there are still a few minor problems with them all the main one I know if that if your constantly putting more files then moving them later would mean your ssd will slow down and this is a reason I don't use them at

Never got interested in ssd so don't take my opinion badly....

But isn't the OS moving a lot, but games it just reads it not writes. That why I thought a bit the OS isn't really the way to go.

But isn't the OS moving a lot, but games it just reads it not writes. That why I thought a bit the OS isn't really the way to go.

Games do tend to write a lot especially when updating, downloading things (dlc or addons for example). Putting the operating system on a ssd will make it boot faster

Games do tend to write a lot especially when updating, downloading things (dlc or addons for example). Putting the operating system on a ssd will make it boot faster

So does it too degrade the SSD if its used for OS?