2tb Seagate barracuda making popcorn noises

Iankiller99
Go to solution Solved by Iankiller99,

I think it fixed itself once I had it run level for a day or two. THanks for all your help

So I've had my computer built outside of a case until mine arrives *have taken precautions* but I failed to notice my hard drive was at a slight angle. I've only had this running for under 6 hours but the hard drive is making some pretty weird but not deathly I'll sounding noises. Can anyone suggest what to do about it?

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

make sure it's in correctly.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

what do you mean it's at a odd angle?

if it's installed correctly and still have the sound, i'd exchange it.

if its a new drive you could just go exchange with your retailer.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

As in when I set it down on my desk to run it was accidentally on top of a thumb drive, so it was at a slight angle, not level with the desk, and now it's making noises it hasn't before. And by popcorn it sounds like popcorn popping but not that loud

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but, I'm pretty sure orientation doesn't really matter. What matters is you don't move it around too much when its running... 

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 2013 256GB

As in when I set it down on my desk to run it was accidentally on top of a thumb drive, so it was at a slight angle, not level with the desk, and now it's making noises it hasn't before. And by popcorn it sounds like popcorn popping but not that loud

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but, I'm pretty sure orientation doesn't really matter. What matters is you don't move it around too much when its running... 

I'll take mine with extra butter!  :)

But yeah orientation doesn't matter as long as you don't move it suddenly change it's orientation when it's running, if there is anything important save it elsewhere for now and you may want to try and exchange it from where you purchased the drive.

I've had this drive since Christmas and just needed it now, no drops or bumps or anything. I don't know if I can return it. Don't know how seagate and amazon work with their returns

Spoiler

I've had this drive since Christmas and just needed it now, no drops or bumps or anything. I don't know if I can return it. Don't know how seagate and amazon work with their returns

Oh hm... You could possibly RMA it? 

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Not sure if I lost the box and or information. Let me check

Spoiler

Not sure if I lost the box and or information. Let me check

Just a quick note like most companies for RMA seagate covers return shipping but you need to pay to ship it to them, as long as it's within warranty you can request an RMA on their website.

I went to the seagate website to look at the warranty, put in the serial number and all and got this. I purchased the drive from seagate, but on amazon, what should I do?

post-61159-0-38048300-1409638999_thumb.p

Spoiler

I went to the seagate website to look at the warranty, put in the serial number and all and got this. I purchased the drive from seagate, but on amazon, what should I do?

I'm not very familiar with Amazon's warranty policy but it should be the manufacture that honours the RMA's as long as it's a retail drive you purchased, not sure why it would be OEM parts.

Thats interesting.... hm it seems you'll have to contact amazon about it? I have a feeling amazon is going to just direct you back to seagate....  <_<

Thats interesting.... hm it seems you'll have to contact amazon about it? I have a feeling amazon is going to just direct you back to seagate....  <_<

If you bought it on Amazon, then you'll have a record of the sale in your Amazon Account.

Most likely, the seller that you bought the drive from (If from Amazon Marketplace - otherwise replace "seller" with "Amazon"), likely stripped the drive out of a USB enclosure or an OEM desktop and then sold it as an "external" drive.

In any case, THAT isn't your problem - assuming the product page on Amazon reported a 1 year (or longer) warranty.

Basically what you need to do is save a copy of your Amazon purchase invoice (receipt), and then contact Seagate support and send them that invoice. They'll honour the RMA after that. Then you just ship them the drive, as per whatever instructions you're given (Make sure to ship using tracked and insured shipping service, as otherwise Seagate will not cover any damage due to the courier). They'll then send you a replacement in the mail.

As for the orientation of the drive, LONG TERM, the drive should really be level, either horizontally or vertically (not at an angle), but for short periods (I'm talking up to weeks here), having it at a slight angle should not damage the drive whatsoever. If it's making a clicking or popping noise, then you need to RMA that drive as soon as humanly possible!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You're probably just hearing the regular spinning of the drive. Is it working correctly at least? No slowdowns, errors or corrupt files?

I also had to adjust to hearing the sound of the Hard Drive after I bought a quiet case (before in my old case, all I could hear was the fan spinning). You're probably in the same boat as me since your working without a case.

Is it resting directly on metal? If it is, it's likely just the sound being amplified through reverberation in your case. You should use rubber or plastic trays/ grommets.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I think it fixed itself once I had it run level for a day or two. THanks for all your help

Spoiler

np. I'm glad its working  :)