Overclock help on 4690k

Jared133

Recently got a 4690k, and have been trying to overclock to 4.3, and have tried the vcore from 1.2-1.29, and I would bsod every time, pretty new to overclocking so tbh all I really did was turn the multiplier to 4.3 and up the vcore, temps were fine, and were below 65, any tips?

You lost the silicon lottery.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

You lost the silicon lottery.

This.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Try changing the VCCIN to ~1.85v whilst keeping the vcore at 1.25v

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Well, I just put everything to default and still bsod'd in the middle of a game, so I'm not sure right now

Also, is prime95 a good way to stress test because alot of people say it's very harsh on the cpu, and if so how long should i test it for.

Well, I just put everything to default and still bsod'd in the middle of a game, so I'm not sure right now

Check your RAM. Run memtest 86 and prime 95 blend.

Trying this out right now, I'll get back to you on how it goes.

Check your RAM. Run memtest 86 and prime 95 blend.

Also, how long is enough on prime95?

Also, how long is enough on prime95?

I've always heard about 8-24 hours to make sure it runs through all the possible combinations. I would suggest Asus ROG RealBench 2.2 stress test though for a more real world test. I've had 8 hours on prime stable and then had realbench BSOD after 35 minutes before. It runs an image editor an openCL render engine and handbrake encoder simultaneously which is very stressful and more illustrative of the kinds of loads you would expect in daily use. The 4 hour test on that should be more than enough but to be sure you can run the full 8 hours.

I've always heard about 8-24 hours to make sure it runs through all the possible combinations. I would suggest Asus ROG RealBench 2.2 stress test though for a more real world test. I've had 8 hours on prime stable and then had realbench BSOD after 35 minutes before. It runs an image editor an openCL render engine and handbrake encoder simultaneously which is very stressful and more illustrative of the kinds of loads you would expect in daily use. The 4 hour test on that should be more than enough but to be sure you can run the full 8 hours.

Will try it out, thanks

When I run it, do I want this both checked or do I leave it how it is?2aa1b53a955671188eeb79ca9631c8f0.png

Truth be told I'm not entirely sure about the way LuxMark works but I think its mostly part of the stress test because it stresses your GPU as well to make sure all systems are stable together. I don't think its going to do anything unless you have your iGPU on the actual CPU enabled in the BIOS otherwise it defaults to the main openCL accelerator which will always be your discrete graphics if present.

Truth be told I'm not entirely sure about the way LuxMark works but I think its mostly part of the stress test because it stresses your GPU as well to make sure all systems are stable together. I don't think its going to do anything unless you have your iGPU on the actual CPU enabled in the BIOS otherwise it defaults to the main openCL accelerator which will always be your discrete graphics if present.

Ran it, and it was stable at the suggested settings from @Lays thanks for your guys help.

Ran it, and it was stable at the suggested settings from @Lays thanks for your guys help.

Yw :)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

• 5 months later...

What you could also do to increase stability at high clocks is to increase your cache ratio to equal or greater then your prossesor (at least in my time over locking it seems to have helped out)

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

This thread has been dead for 5 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread.

Locked.

HTTP/2 203