So I got the HTC One M8...

JoshK

I got the One M8 today and it is my first android device and I have had an iPhone 5 for the past year. I have started using the HTC One and I hate to say it but Im not a huge fan and I am thinking about returning it for the 5s. I miss the premium unboxing experience and premium cables and charger etc. I miss the design and sexiness of the iphone, I miss the apps, I miss my apple id ,I miss emojis, I miss the texting interface and i miss the ease of use and not having to click 3 different things to delete a conversation and just overall the iPhone experience. I have been really wanting the One M8 since it came out but now that I actually have it I kind of regret getting it. In summary I just miss everything about my iPhone even the nice conservative screen size that was actually one of the reason for switching to the One M8 and now i miss that size of screen. Do I just need to get used to this phone or should I really consider getting the iPhone. Maybe  i bandwagon too much with Linus because I sometimes swear up and down that I would not get a MacBook but in the end I probably would. I dont know I just have a huge feeling of regret especially since I only have 14 days to return it AND I have to pay a $35 restocking fee. I have had apple devices for about 6 years now and I couldnt say I hated anything about them but I miss my iPhone and wish this feeling would go away o my gosh I feel like a girl right now omg haha

Uhh, wat.

"I miss the premium unboxing experience and premium cables and charger etc." I get the whole "If I pay this much I want a premium unboxing experience" but seriously? It's just a box with a product in it. You haven't seen people complain about studio-grade headphones coming in shitty packaging that does the job, have you? If they do, they are ignoring the fact that the box did the job, now you have the product and not a $10 box going into the trash. There's also nothing premium about cables. It's a cable. Chargers are the same thing.

"I miss the design and sexiness of the iphone, I miss the apps, I miss my apple id ,I miss emojis, I miss the texting interface and i miss the ease of use and not having to click 3 different things to delete a conversation and just overall the iPhone experience." The M8 looks better, has better apps, has Google+ integration (in this case it's good G+ integration since you can link your Gmail, Google Play, etc into one account for your phone), has Emoji, has better text interface but you can get different ones on the Google Play store, and I don't even know what you're talking about for your other complaint in the quoted statement.

well, I've had my iphone 5 for 2 years now and I was adamant I was going to get the M8 in november, but this post has given me wobbly knees :/

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I got the One M8 today and it is my first android device and I have had an iPhone 5 for the past year. I have started using the HTC One and I hate to say it but Im not a huge fan and I am thinking about returning it for the 5s. I miss the premium unboxing experience and premium cables and charger etc. I miss the design and sexiness of the iphone, I miss the apps, I miss my apple id ,I miss emojis, I miss the texting interface and i miss the ease of use and not having to click 3 different things to delete a conversation and just overall the iPhone experience. I have been really wanting the One M8 since it came out but now that I actually have it I kind of regret getting it. In summary I just miss everything about my iPhone even the nice conservative screen size that was actually one of the reason for switching to the One M8 and now i miss that size of screen. Do I just need to get used to this phone or should I really consider getting the iPhone. Maybe  i bandwagon too much with Linus because I sometimes swear up and down that I would not get a MacBook but in the end I probably would. I dont know I just have a huge feeling of regret especially since I only have 14 days to return it AND I have to pay a $35 restocking fee. I have had apple devices for about 6 years now and I couldnt say I hated anything about them but I miss my iPhone and wish this feeling would go away o my gosh I feel like a girl right now omg haha

I did the same change.

1. Get the SwiftKey keyboard. It has emojis.

2. You miss the design and sexiness? In it's own right, the M8 is just as sexy and well designed, though this is more of a matter of opinion.

3. Why the hell did you buy an Android phone when you seem to be into ease of use? Only Apple devices are really good at such. Just return the thing and get a 5S if you want.

4. Premium unboxing experience? Because everything is made out of the same white plastic lel. I don't really see what's so different. You open the box, remove the phone, under a paper cover is a USB charging cable, USB wall brick and earbuds (all of the same quality as Apple's stuff.)

You do bandwagon too much. not with just Linus but seemingly with the whole PCMustardRace. With doing anything, it's all about trying it out. If you don't like it, you don't have to. Just remember it's your fault for making that decision.

well, I've had my iphone 5 for 2 years now and I was adamant I was going to get the M8 in november, but this post has given me wobbly knees :/

Don't feel that way. I will mention that I did the same switch and feel entirely different. Just get it, try it out and if you don't like it, return it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Ummm... The HTC One M8 is pretty sexy and who cares about the damn unboxing experience? It should be about the phone. Android has pleanty of great Apps yo. And also you can get a a third part text messaging app that you could pretty much theme to your heart's desire. That's the beauty of android. If there's something you don't like, there probably is something you can download to fix it

Life.exe is missing

I did the same change.

2. You miss the design and sexiness? In it's own right, the M8 is just as sexy and well designed, though this is more of a matter of opinion.

3. Why the hell did you buy an Android phone when you seem to be into ease of use? Only Apple devices are really good at such. Just return the thing and get a 5S if you want.

4. Premium unboxing experience? Because everything is made out of the same white plastic lel. I don't really see what's so different. You open the box, remove the phone, under a paper cover is a USB charging cable, USB wall brick and earbuds (all of the same quality as Apple's stuff.)

You do bandwagon too much. not with just Linus but seemingly with the whole PCMustardRace. With doing anything, it's all about trying it out. If you don't like it, you don't have to. Just remember it's your fault for making that decision.

Don't feel that way. I will mention that I did the same switch and feel entirely different. Just get it, try it out and if you don't like it, return it.

So you felt the same way about your M8 when you first got it?

So you felt the same way about your M8 when you first got it?

No.

I understand that you feel this way about your device, but I feel completely differently.

I love pretty much everything about the device except for the front-facing camera. Everything else for me is excellent. If you don't like it, I can't tell you otherwise. It's your opinion. If you want, go back to Apple. I won't stop or criticize you. And anyone that would is wrong to do so.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

If your going to return the M8 Wait a few weeks before getting a new iPhone as the iPhone 6 will be out shortly (Announced on the 9th of September).

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

No.

I understand that you feel this way about your device, but I feel completely differently.

I love pretty much everything about the device except for the front-facing camera. Everything else for me is excellent. If you don't like it, I can't tell you otherwise. It's your opinion. If you want, go back to Apple. I won't stop or criticize you. And anyone that would is wrong to do so.

Well I guess I have 2 weeks to play around with it so Ill see but the feels of liking it and not liking are off and on only time will tell. 

If your going to return the M8 Wait a few weeks before getting a new iPhone as the iPhone 6 will be out shortly (Announced on the 9th of September).

Have they released pictures of the official product?

edit: not just renders or dummy models but the actual finished product.

Well I guess I have 2 weeks to play around with it so Ill see but the feels of liking it and not liking are off and on only time will tell. 

Sounds fine. I would also sweat it out for the iPhone 6, since it is reported to be announced in about a week.

No, but expect a 4.7" screen and more rounded aesthetic. Most of the current leaks seem consistent.

edit: not just renders or dummy models but the actual finished product.

No which is why I said it gets announced on September 9th ... Apple have a press event to release products on that date and the iPhone 6 will be one of them.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Sounds fine. I would also sweat it out for the iPhone 6, since it is reported to be announced in about a week.

Well thanks for the non negative input unlike some other users *cough* @Kloaked *cough*. 

Well thanks for the non negative input unlike some other users *cough* @Kloaked *cough*. 

No problem.

To anyone out there, when talking about this stuff, don't confuse opinion with fact.

I'm just confused. The M8 is a premium product and has a customizable interface, more so than iOS.

I'm just confused. The M8 is a premium product and has a customizable interface, more so than iOS.

You forgot to take into consideration that I have literally NEVER used android in my life which is why I might be a bit taken aback by some of the confusing parts of it which is somehting I am going to have to get used to. 

If it's the first day you've had it, of course you don't feel comfortable with the device. As with anything new, it's going to take some time to get used to it.

Have you tried downloading any apps at all? By the sounds of it most things you're complaining about can be fixed with simple downloads.

Android isn't really a complete experience the way Apple is. You have to download apps to make it your own.

As for premium cables and charger...they're all basically the same? If you want, just grab an Apple charger and use that. Personally I think Motorola and Blackberry make the best chargers, hands down.

AppleID...well, it's rather obvious you'd be losing that. Have you tried downloading a different messaging app? There's tons of those as well.

I don't know what you mean about three buttons to delete a conversation. I simply long press and then click the trash can.

Just give it a little longer. I didn't really like Android at first when I switched, but now I absolutely love it and would never dream of getting something else.

iOs is too restrictive and I can't customize enough. Windows Phone lacks apps and I hate the app drawer. Blackberry can't make a decent device.

You forgot to take into consideration that I have literally NEVER used android in my life which is why I might be a bit taken aback by some of the confusing parts of it which is somehting I am going to have to get used to. 

I don't think he forgot, but maybe you should take some of your own advice ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If it's the first day you've had it, of course you don't feel comfortable with the device. As with anything new, it's going to take some time to get used to it.

Have you tried downloading any apps at all? By the sounds of it most things you're complaining about can be fixed with simple downloads.

Android isn't really a complete experience the way Apple is. You have to download apps to make it your own.

As for premium cables and charger...they're all basically the same? If you want, just grab an Apple charger and use that. Personally I think Motorola and Blackberry make the best chargers, hands down.

AppleID...well, it's rather obvious you'd be losing that. Have you tried downloading a different messaging app? There's tons of those as well.

I don't know what you mean about three buttons to delete a conversation. I simply long press and then click the trash can.

Just give it a little longer. I didn't really like Android at first when I switched, but now I absolutely love it and would never dream of getting something else.

iOs is too restrictive and I can't customize enough. Windows Phone lacks apps and I hate the app drawer. Blackberry can't make a decent device.

I don't think he forgot, but maybe you should take some of your own advice ;)

alright, makes sense. The only apps I really have downloaded are instagram twitter etc. and swiftkey and Facets, any recommendations? Thanks for positive input!

alright, makes sense. The only apps I really have downloaded are instagram twitter etc. and swiftkey and Facets, any recommendations? Thanks for positive input!

Have you downloaded any of the Swiftkey skins? I actually found that switching them made me type considerably better. That's more of a personal thing though, you might be just fine.

I don't really have a whole lot downloaded to be honest. I like minimalism, and don't really need many apps.

I am in love with Nova Launcher. I use Hangouts as the messaging app which is pretty clean, might be easier than the HTC one?

The rest is all stuff that I find useful but you might not. A unit converter app, an app that displays the time where I can change the color to anything I want (I wanted it to match my icon pack...OCD much? :P), eBay. Banking app.

Download JuiceDefender, I find it helps the battery life of every phone I've installed it on.

For ease of use though, definitely Swiftkey which you already have. Zedge is a pretty useful app for downloading notification sounds, ring tones and wall papers. Weather & Clock is a super informative widget app.

Shazam? I always find that useful. Not sure if SoundHound is better though. Lite Flow lets you change your LED notifications in a million different ways.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is just a list of things I have. I'm not a power user so my phone isn't rooted with root-only apps.

Avast Mobile Security

Atom Launcher

Twitter

Carbon [for Twitter]

ClockQ

ColorNote

Flipboard

Imgur

Messaging [an alternative messaging app that I like]

Percent Enabler

Reddit Now

Spotify

Twitch

Swiftkey

Voxel [icon pack]

I did the same change.

...The default android keyboard has emoticons too.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it