Das Keyboard

I've been looking at the Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate/Professional. For a keyboard I've never had a Mechanical KeyBoard before and I want to last a long time.

Is it total worth it to switch to Mechanical?

How long should a Mechanical Keyboard last?

Does It improve typing speeds?

How much did you spend on your Mechanical Keyboard?

How long have you have your Mechanical Keyboard?

Thanks!

Looking for a Programming Project take a look here!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

I've been looking at the Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate/Professional. For a keyboard I've never had a Mechanical KeyBoard before and I want to last a long time.

Thanks!

1.YES!!! nothing improves your computer "experience"(sounds gay but couldn't think of anything else) as much as a mech keyboard.

2.They last ages, depending on the keyboard but I would say at least 6 years

3.yes massively

4.£115

5.2 years

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

1) Yes its worth it. Will it make you better at say games? No. But if you value quality you will love it.

2) they last a long time especially good ones like das.

3) Some people speeds improve but mine didn't.

4) 70 USD on a CM Storm Quick Fire

5) 4 months

Bottom line get one. Once you go mechanical you can't go back

Thanks!

1) Yes

2) Very long time. 20+ years if you take good care of it.

3) I improved by about 20 WPM

4) I have spent over $13,000 on all my mechanical stuff (and modding time)

5) I have had an IBM Model M since I was a kid. I got my first mech board around 10 years ago.

1) Yes

2) Very long time. 20+ years if you take good care of it.

3) I improved by about 20 WPM

4) I have spent over $13,000 on all my mechanical stuff (and modding time)

5) I have had an IBM Model M since I was a kid. I got my first mech board around 10 years ago.

How Exactly do you "Mod" a Keyboard? & that's a nice collection of keyboards.

1.YES!!! nothing improves your computer "experience"(sounds gay but couldn't think of anything else) as much as a mech keyboard.

2.They last ages, depending on the keyboard but I would say at least 6 years

3.yes massively

4.£115

5.2 years

Doesn't say very gay to me IMO.

Looking for a Programming Project take a look here!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

Thanks!

1. Yes mechanical keyboard is much better, but you need to experience it to get it.

2. You get what you pay for. A good one should last a long time.

3. My average WPM has increased from around 80 to 100

4. £120

5. About 6 months.

Just to add, I got a Flico Majestouch 2 with blue switches. They're really great for like everything, but are quite noisy. I got it because I spend more time on my PC typing than anything else and since I write long documents I thought it'd be nice to have a more pleasant typing experience.

How Exactly do you "Mod" a Keyboard? & that's a nice collection of keyboards.

TY, Painting, the boards and backplates. Soldiering in different LED's. Switch modding: Changing the stems/springs. Soldiering in new switches. Stickers (helps prevent wobbling if you constantly open the housing). Keycaps. Noise dampeners/o-rings. Custom cases. Remapping keys. Changing Layout. Custom Backplate. Backplate sanding (allows you to change the switch without soldiering). Lubing switches. Cherry Stabilizer mod. Cherry/Costar Conversions. Re-soldiering.

A good example is my Das 4 Ultimate

It is one of my work boards so I need to keep it quiet. (I modded it so it is quieter than most membranes)

I have Cherry MX White switches with MX Blue Springs. (Except Spacebar which uses a normal white)

The keycaps have O-Rings with modded soft landing pads for accommodation for the O-Rings. (double cushioning)

I am using a Black Ducky PBT keycap set with laser engraving (Less rattly and more solid keys)

The board has a custom (yellow) rubber backplate to further reduce noise. The backplate has extra clearance near the switches so I can swap the stem/spring if need be.

I use a different keyboard layout (Programmer DVORAK)

The switches are lubricated regularly (easier travel and slight noise reduction because of less plastic grinding)

It has a custom Carbon fiber wrap. (aesthetics)

I changed the Cherry Stab on the spacebar to Costar. (less mushy than cherry stabilizer)

The ESC key has my fav switch, the Ergo-Clear switch (Blue spring Clear stem) and a rare click clack keycap (Darth Vader). (I have seen some Clacks go for $500)

I changed all the accents and LED's to yellow. (I like yellow)

All the Switches have stickers because I do constant maintenance on that board. (stickers reduce keyswitch ability to wobble and rattle)

I re-soldiered all the connections and used my own high grade resistors. (just for endurance, and I already had to desoldier all the switches.)

Some of the stuff is more tweaks than mods, but I think you get the point.

I have a painting guide here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/205502-the-proper-way-to-paint-your-pc-stuff/

and I plan on doing a comprehensive guide on how to mod a Keyboard in the near future.