MSI Z97M-G43 + Pentium G3258 OC issues / Any help?

Go to solution Solved by Deletive,

Ah! Well that's nice to know. Running at above 72C will shorten the lifespan though, aye? I'd like to run under 70C if possible, even if it means a lower OC like 3800 MHz. The chip might not even be the problem, the motherboard is being very finicky with overclocks - I tried 3500 MHz and it still won't take.

It's strange because well, it's a Z97 MoBo - the ones specified to overclock.

Most intel chips are made for mobile so anything below 90 is really fine.

You can probably stay under 70 with 4.2ghz when you up the clock speed make sure you have the voltage on manual and than run something like Intelburn test for 10 minutes.

It's not loud either, there sure are a lot of misconceptions about the stock cooler. It isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I have it, gets to 3000+ rpm under load at stock frequencies (with an i7, but still).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Edited previous post.

Awesome. I'll see about trying that, and I'll take a photo of the frozen screen if it happens again & report back after (yet again) resetting CMOS.

I have it, gets to 3000+ rpm under load at stock frequencies (with an i7, but still).

Mine maxes out at about 1500 RPM's or so.

Awesome. I'll see about trying that, and I'll take a photo of the frozen screen if it happens again & report back after (yet again) resetting CMOS.

Okay good luck!

Okay good luck!

Thanks, still didn't take. I'll try MSI's OC Genie software to see if it might be the motherboard that's the issue.

Thanks, still didn't take. I'll try MSI's OC Genie software to see if it might be the motherboard that's the issue.

It's possible, I had to RMA my MSI motherboard the first time. I had a Z97 Gaming 3.

It's possible, I had to RMA my MSI motherboard the first time. I had a Z97 Gaming 3.

Gah, hope that's not the case.聽

Gonna keep at it, thanks for all of the help so far though!

Gah, hope that's not the case.聽

Gonna keep at it, thanks for all of the help so far though!

Not a problem! Let me know how it goes as things develop!

Not a problem! Let me know how it goes as things develop!

Gave Command Center a shot and it's running at 3600 MHz @ 1.136 VCore. I'll reboot and try 4.4 GHz @ 1.25 VCore

Well I heard the G3258 can do just fine @ 4.2 GHz on stock heatsink/fan, since it's such a cool running chip. I actually built this system for someone and I'd like to get a bit more performance for 'em on stock. The H212 is going to go toward a i5 4690K build I've been putting together. :D

Mine does 4.5ghz at 1.27v on stock cooler, never touched 90degrees according to realtemp.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...