Team Viewer vs Steam in Home Streaming

MainStageNews

Im thinking about building a cheap PC for almost like a media box in my living room. But I also want to use it for a-lot of in-home game streaming. I was wondering if team viewer would be better than steam in home streaming? Also what would you recommend for hardware requirements. I'm thinking about doing 4gb of ram, dual core with clock speed of high 2's or in the 3 ghz range, and then obviously a pretty decent wireless card. I do appreciate any input :)

Steam home sharing all the way.

I can run it on my ultrabook with a 1.5ghz i5, 4gb of ram, and integrated graphics fine, on the receiving end, of course.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Ahahahah no

TeamViewer doesn't do it over LAN. It will stream it over the internet

Steam in home sharing is for sure the way to go! :)

You can connect via local IP.

d8da499f68.png

\

I can use steam in home streaming on an atom netbook that is glued to the back of my TV. You can run it on pretty much anything that will stream video at a high enough frame rate over your network because that is all it is effectively doing.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

They are similar. Steam In-Home Streaming might be better in terms of controller input. To be honest, I've never seriously tried playing a game on Team Viewer. I didn't even know it could connect without the Internet.

I think you should go with Steam In-Home Streaming though because that is designed for games whereas Team Viewer is not.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

You can connect via local IP.

<snip>

Was that added in TV9? Or has that always been a thing? 

Was that added in TV9? Or has that always been a thing? 

From what I know it has always been a thing and you just connect to the IP like you would with the ID

0294df0b67.png

\

I am using Steam in home streaming. Got a rMBP for work, however got media pc with i3 and 650 gpu. OSX cant run most games but now with in home streaming makes it possible to play a game whilst not even on same room. dont hear a pc nagging at me over heat or spinning fans. love it. 

Dream on little dreamer.

Im thinking about building a cheap PC for almost like a media box in my living room. But I also want to use it for a-lot of in-home game streaming. I was wondering if team viewer would be better than steam in home streaming? Also what would you recommend for hardware requirements. I'm thinking about doing 4gb of ram, dual core with clock speed of high 2's or in the 3 ghz range, and then obviously a pretty decent wireless card. I do appreciate any input :)

Don't use Teamviewer. Just get something that has hardware H.264 decoding (Intel Iris integrated graphics, or anything from AMD/NVidia basically).

Teamviewer would be worse. MUCH MUCH WORSE! There's no hardware acceleration, and no optimization for gaming. I can't imagine it would be anything but horrible.

Steam in-home streaming is basically your best bet, and you really don't need a powerful computer.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Team viewer is great for what it was designed for. However, the input lag/video lag would be too much to make all but the slowest paced RTS games impossible. Steam in home streaming is a much better solution, and works very well for me, and many others as well. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC