General facts about pc's and how they work

nanowatt

so my understanding is that mantle is able to leverage extra cores... is this true or false... and if it is true then could that just be the beginning where we will start seeing games need/want more than 4 cores?

Mantle reduces CPU load and puts more load on GPU.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/mantle#overview

Mantle reduces CPU load and puts more load on GPU.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/mantle#overview

ok thnx... i just remember linus talking about it before it actually came out that it will help games leverage more cores

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

My PC beats everyone else's, no matter what. jk

1. No matter the component, do your search on benchmarks FIRST. You can't determine which CPU is better (in most cases) through frequency speed and core count alone. Same goes along with most components, so you need to look up multiple benchmarks first, without having the idea that intel, amd, nvidia, or other brands are better than the rest. 

2. Follow rule #1 if you're new PCs, don't be overzealous and think that you can determine which parts are better just by looking at the specs. In my opinion, it's the most important rule  ;)

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

The idea is simple i am requesting your help so people that are not so good at pc's will know a thing or two by reading this topic.

Don't say the same idea if someone already said it.Just improve it if it's the case.

1.Higher Ram frequency in only used for programs like Adobe After Effect or Video editing.It's not going to improve game fps.

2.Most of the time people tend to buy psu with more wattage that is needed.So be careful when you shop because you may pay more that is needed.

3.Both amd and intel have great cpu and they will most likely perform the same in games.(same price tags)The only difference is that amd have better graphics integrated in they cpu's and intel cpu's are more for multi-tasking.

4.The minimum need for ram to play games in optimal conditions is 8 gb.

5.When shopping for aio coolers take a look at the flow rate and the speed of the pump because these 2 things are more important that the thickness of the rad but not always.

6.Better fans can have a huge impact on cooling your computer.

Keep your post simple and clear.Please correct others if it's needed so we make sure that everything in this topic is correct.

3rd point is incorrect. They don't have both good products. Intel is better in general. AMD got bottlenecking CPUs.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

3rd point is incorrect. They don't have both good products. Intel is better in general. AMD got bottlenecking CPUs.

Now thats not exactly true either... 

An 8350 can keep up with a 4690k quite effectively, and in some cases (which can utilize all 8 cores) surpass it (slightly). Also a direct comparison of Intel vs. AMD isn't exactly fair either as they cost different amounts...I wouldn't expect an 8350 (which is like $60 less than a 4690k) to keep up with a 4690k. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The graphics card is the most important part in gaming performance, and if you're building a gaming PC, most of your budget should go for a graphics card.

NVIDIA's gaming lineup starts with GTX x6x, AMD's starts at R9.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

if you connect all your chips to the bus, you'll get to school faster.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

bottlenecking = boobs with no nipples.

its there... it works. just not efficient.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

CPU and GPU grab things from the HDD and cache them into the RAM to run them.
HDDs are slower but cheaper and higher-capacity than SSDs.
Hitachi 2.5" HDD Masterrace.
SSDs are much, much faster and have lower failure rates.
RAID 0 is a speed god,
RAID 1 is a safety god,
RAID 10 is Chuck Norris.
RAM speed affects the performance of APUs much much more than it affects anything else.
Despite claims of 4GB being enough, 8GB gives you enough headroom to do pretty much anything you want beyond rendering 3D video without bottlenecks, slowing and crashing.
More cores is better.
Higher clock speed is better.
Anything that can make your computer run faster is nothing to complain about.
Anything that can make your computer more stable is nothing to complain about.
You do not need the highest end of the highest end. But don't skimp on anything, either.
Clear your registry of errors every now and then. Makes everything so much faster.
Windows is compatible with most things... for now. The microsoft cruise liner is on fire and there is a Fleet of Linux speedboats coming to pick us up.
PCs can be extremely well-built and/expensive,
Macs are both of those things. Both have pros and cons. End of discussion.
You do not need a Titan Black to play the latest games
the very thought of trying to justify 792p @30fps should be reason enough for us to take Ubisoft, and burn them at the stake as witches.

The idea is simple i am requesting your help so people that are not so good at pc's will know a thing or two by reading this topic.

Don't say the same idea if someone already said it.Just improve it if it's the case.

1.Higher Ram frequency in only used for programs like Adobe After Effect or Video editing.It's not going to improve game fps.

2.Most of the time people tend to buy psu with more wattage that is needed.So be careful when you shop because you may pay more that is needed.

3.Both amd and intel have great cpu and they will most likely perform the same in games.(same price tags)The only difference is that amd have better graphics integrated in they cpu's and intel cpu's are more for multi-tasking.

5.When shopping for aio coolers take a look at the flow rate and the speed of the pump because these 2 things are more important that the thickness of the rad but not always.

Keep your post simple and clear.Please correct others if it's needed so we make sure that everything in this topic is correct.

1. INVALID - It has been proven to make a difference in Battlefield 4.

2. Yes cause you want efficiency and quietness.

3. INVALID - AMD's CPU's does not have integrated graphics, only their APU's. (atleast the fx series)

There is so much incorrect information on this thread....I cannot even begin to describe it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

There is so much incorrect information on this thread....I cannot even begin to describe it

^ this for the most part, a few accurate ones

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

^ this for the most part, a few accurate ones

Yeah there are some fair ones but any newbie reading these comments will be very misinformed 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah there are some fair ones but any newbie reading these comments will be very misinformed 

Maybe the only good advice in this thread is " Do your research before you buy"

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

Maybe the only good advice in this thread is " Do your research before you buy"

There is also my advice of

"do not read this thread"

There is also my advice of

"do not read this thread"

Probably the best one lol

inb4 someone says you can download ram.

Damn you. I was about to post that link! :D

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

@nanowatt - I understand what you were trying to do with this thread, but unfortunately you started it off with some incorrect information. Although there are some valid points listed by yourself and others here, the rest is conflicting and/or invalid. I also see some points listed by some that is biased and not factual.

A major contributor to the conflicting information is due to the lack of context and extremely generalized blanket statements, such as; "Intel is better than AMD" or vice versa, "more cores is better", the list goes on. There are so many other factors involved, that such generalizations are meaningless without proper context. 

What's the person's budget? What will the PC be used for? (gaming, rendering, photo editing, browsing, NAS, HTPC...etc.) Those are the first two questions that must be answered before suggesting a single component. Once you've established the budget and usage, then you can start exploring options. Compare parts that are within the same price point bracket that suits your budget and choose that which delivers the best performance with regards to the type of usage - keeping in mind possible future upgrade paths and options.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3.The only difference is that amd have better graphics integrated in they cpu's and intel cpu's are more for multi-tasking.

Dude some of these are hella wrong or just plain non contextual... 

1. Ignoring APUs and it does actually have a small effect (~1fps) also ignores Vram which when OC'ed usually helps frame rate by a few fps

3. The majority of AMD cpus don't have intergrated graphics at all.

4. >.< unless you're modding skyrim heavily or playing some unoptimized CRAP this is false as shit try 4GB  It doesn't affect framerate atall and I know this personally because I had a stick of RAM die on me making me have to RMA it leaving with a 4GB System memory and plenty of people have tested this besides me that being said I find 8GB to be good for background tasks on top of gaming but definately not minimum 

5. I'd consider those to be much lessimportant than the freaking reliability if your gonna buy something that introduces WATER to your computer I'd look at reliability before stuff like that xD

6. Slick already did a video on this; differences aren't THAT BIG and he did it in an H440 which has terrible airflow giving premium fans the advantage

TLDR: GET REKT NOOB

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

He is right on 4, 8GB isn't "optimal" it just gives a lot of head room. Unless you increase texture size, a game only takes about 2 or 3GB of RAM.

So you're telling me I can't have anything else open but my game when I want to play, that's just stupid. When they recommend 8GB of RAM, its because people understand that when you play games most people have other things open, such as skype, web browsers, steam???, stuff like that at the same time, when you limit yourself to using the bare minimum you're only hurting yourself. Personally my computer wouldn't function without 8GB of RAM if I wanted to game. Also there are games that take more than 2-3GB of RAM, its also dependant on your video settings.

So you're telling me I can't have anything else open but my game when I want to play, that's just stupid. When they recommend 8GB of RAM, its because people understand that when you play games most people have other things open, such as skype, web browsers, steam???, stuff like that at the same time, when you limit yourself to using the bare minimum you're only hurting yourself. Personally my computer wouldn't function without 8GB of RAM if I wanted to game. Also there are games that take more than 2-3GB of RAM, its also dependant on your video settings.

4GB of RAM can still have Steam in the background or Skype, why you would use a RAM hog like Skype instead of a better VOIP I have no idea. You aren't limiting yourself with 4GB. 8GB gives you A LOT of headroom, 4GB is fine right now.

EDIT: Also, RAM is just temporary storage for game files and data so the CPU can access it easier. Changing video settings doesn't increase the size of the file but changing texture resolution does (higher res pictures take p more space) so besides texture resolution. Video settings do not increase RAM usage, VRAM maybe.

4GB of RAM can still have Steam in the background or Skype, why you would use a RAM hog like Skype instead of a better VOIP I have no idea. You aren't limiting yourself with 4GB. 8GB gives you A LOT of headroom, 4GB is fine right now.

but all those Chrome tabs :P

Actually I run 4GB and it's fine - games and everything

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

EDIT: Also, RAM is just temporary storage for game files and data so the CPU can access it easier. Changing video settings doesn't increase the size of the file but changing texture resolution does (higher res pictures take p more space) so besides texture resolution. Video settings do not increase RAM usage, VRAM maybe.

Tell me I have a lot of headroom when I boot up a game like Smite and I have 6-7GB of my memory being used, sure I might have some programs open that use a lot of RAM, but what's the point of limiting yourself to an amount of RAM that will eventually become obsolete? Memory can only go down in price (barring factory fires), and density will keep going up. 4GB of RAM has been "enough" for years and it is likely things will be moving past that soon. I use Skype because despite how people may harp on it, its convenient and everyone uses it. Curse and Razer comms don't have that big of a population, and TS and Mumble require servers.

People recommend buying 8GB of RAM because of the headroom it gives, I would max out 4 GB with just my regular uses, have you ever tried using a computer with a full memory? Trust me it's not fun, and very limiting. 8GBs gives you the freedom to have what you want open and not having to worry about overhead when using programs.

Tell me I have a lot of headroom when I boot up a game like Smite and I have 6-7GB of my memory being used, sure I might have some programs open that use a lot of RAM, but what's the point of limiting yourself to an amount of RAM that will eventually become obsolete? Memory can only go down in price (barring factory fires), and density will keep going up. 4GB of RAM has been "enough" for years and it is likely things will be moving past that soon. I use Skype because despite how people may harp on it, its convenient and everyone uses it. Curse and Razer comms don't have that big of a population, and TS and Mumble require servers.

People recommend buying 8GB of RAM because of the headroom it gives, I would max out 4 GB with just my regular uses, have you ever tried using a computer with a full memory? Trust me it's not fun, and very limiting. 8GBs gives you the freedom to have what you want open and not having to worry about overhead when using programs.

I have never used all of my 8GB of RAM, even when rendering videos, the point is is that 4GB is not obsolete now. It may somehow be in the future but it is perfectly fine for gaming. I know plenty of people who use 4GB of RAM, with many programs open in the background and have no issues. You aren't limiting yourself with 4GB besides, if you ever really needed an upgrade you can always add another stick. Your issues sound like a memory problem more than anything. Also just tell your friends to download Razer Comms, there isn't a reason why they can't or why they have to use Skype.