Data Recovery from Formated Hard Drive

SkullAbyss

I recently got a data recovery task. My co-worker asked me to see if I could get some files off his Seagate 160GB hard drive. Before, he took his netbook to the computer shop and he specifically told them to back his data up. Well, the computer shop never backed his data up, instead they entirely wiped the hard drive and his data is gone. I know there is some software out there to retrieve the files from before hand. What software is capable of that? The hard drive is in perfect health right now. I would like to get his pictures at the very least. I can only use free software, but I heard Kali or Backtrack can possibly do what I need to do? Any help will be grateful!

SkullAbyss

Hiren's BootCD is full off handy software including data recover software

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

Recuva should work.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Recuva should work.

+1 to Recuva.

Computer Science student proficient in OSX, Linux and Windows

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |