PS3 Slim assistance

ERSCreeper
Go to solution Solved by Syntaxvgm,

The optical drive does need replaced. Keep in mind that when you do this(I think this applies to the slims too but it's been a while since I've had a broke slim come my way, they are just so much better than the fats) that the controller board on the drive itself is actually a daughter board paired to the motherboard. Meaning you have to reuse that daughter board, no other one will work with that motherboard. Replacing the drive is easy. Get a whole drive, not the laser. Replacing the laser can lead to calibration and placement problems if you are not experienced with optical drives. Plus a whole drive won't get scratched. Maybe snatch a ylod ps3? Keep in mind SKUs and whatnot. If you need specific help, PM me. I used to do A LOT of console and laptop repair.  Replacing the optical drive on the PS3 is actually pretty straightforward. It's on the top so no major work is required.

Good luck if you decide to replace it!

Hey everyone

About 2 weeks ago I received a PlayStation 3 Slim for free from a friend because the optical drive seems to have stopped working. I was planning to just replace it but it is going to be expensive to get the parts.

What works:

• The system works perfectly otherwise
  • It will accept discs into the drive and will also eject them without a problem.

So what I have done:

• System restore
  • Database rebuild
  • Full software update
  • Tried normal DVD's and Music CD's, neither read.

After doing this I have a new icon in the top right by the clock:

078500846b.jpg

Any assistant towards fixing this would be great

\

I don't know about the new icon, but it soulds like the optical drive needs to be either cleaned or replaced...

That's what I thought, main problem is it needs a T9 screw driver and guess which one I am missing from my kit...

Also solved the issues with that icon, simple reboot fixed it.

\

Well, you could just play non-disc based games.

Yes but I do have a stack of PS3 games so i'm not going to buy them again on PSN.

\

If the T9 screw doesn't have a security point in it, you can use a flathead or the right size and with a bit of elbow grease and get it out...

Sadly it does :/

\

The logo? I'm not sure on that, you could try switching out the HDD to see if it's the HDD playing up, that's if you don't mine spending the money for one. The disc drive? That I'm not sure on. I suspect that it's a problem with the laser. That's what happened on my old PS3 flat (RIP).

TL;DR- Replace laser and hard drive (possibly).

The optical drive does need replaced. Keep in mind that when you do this(I think this applies to the slims too but it's been a while since I've had a broke slim come my way, they are just so much better than the fats) that the controller board on the drive itself is actually a daughter board paired to the motherboard. Meaning you have to reuse that daughter board, no other one will work with that motherboard. Replacing the drive is easy. Get a whole drive, not the laser. Replacing the laser can lead to calibration and placement problems if you are not experienced with optical drives. Plus a whole drive won't get scratched. Maybe snatch a ylod ps3? Keep in mind SKUs and whatnot. If you need specific help, PM me. I used to do A LOT of console and laptop repair.  Replacing the optical drive on the PS3 is actually pretty straightforward. It's on the top so no major work is required.

Good luck if you decide to replace it!

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The logo? I'm not sure on that, you could try switching out the HDD to see if it's the HDD playing up, that's if you don't mine spending the money for one. The disc drive? That I'm not sure on. I suspect that it's a problem with the laser. That's what happened on my old PS3 flat (RIP).

TL;DR- Replace laser and hard drive (possibly).

HDD seems fine since the reboot cleared the problem of the Icon.

\

The optical drive does need replaced. Keep in mind that when you do this(I think this applies to the slims too but it's been a while since I've had a broke slim come my way, they are just so much better than the fats) that the controller board on the drive itself is actually a daughter board paired to the motherboard. Meaning you have to reuse that daughter board, no other one will work with that motherboard. Replacing the drive is easy. Get a whole drive, not the laser. Maybe snatch a ylod ps3? Keep in mind SKUs and whatnot. If you need specific help, PM me. I used to do A LOT of console and laptop repair.  Replacing the optical drive on the PS3 is actually pretty straightforward. It's on the top so no major work is required.

Thanks, I do have a guide on how to replace just the Optical drive but the two main issues is the T9 screw driver and getting a drive. But thanks for clearing everything up. :)

\

HDD seems fine since the reboot cleared the problem of the Icon.

Oh. Just take my advice on the optical drive then :P

Thanks, I do have a guide on how to replace just the Optical drive but the two main issues is the T9 screw driver and getting a drive. But thanks for clearing everything up. :)

use a t9 bit from the local hardware store. They sell security ones too if you need that for something else. They are usually less than a dollar a bit. You'll have to screw with it a bit (no pun intended) to get the bit to unscrew it, it's a bit deep. Just use pliers with the bit. Loosen it then use a pencil eraser to take it out the rest of the way. OR find a thin bit set if you can

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch