Need help with SLI between two GTX 780s

dhu77man

Hey guys!

Here's my specs:

Motherboard (Z97-G45) -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130771
Graphics Card (GTX 780) -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127746&cm_re=GTX_780-_-14-127-746-_-Product

I am trying to set up the SLI connection, but I can't get NVIDIA to find it.. 

I have plugged in both graphics cards on their own, and both of them work.. So I know that both graphics cards are good.

Both graphics cards have power, and I also have the SLI bridge hooked up between the two, but for some reason NVIDIA won't pop up with the "Enable SLI" menu in the control panel for the graphics cards.. 

Can anyone help me getting this to work?

Have you tried Re-seating the cards? and do you have anything else in the PCI-E slots I.E sound card

Possibly broken SLI bridge but try reseating the cards first and try a different SLI hook if the cards have more than one.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

What os are you one? The bridge is on the fingers closest to the I/o right?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Go into the Nvidia control panel/3D settings/Configure SLI,Surround,PhysX and see what it says.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Are you sure you're looking in the right place in the NVC?

UvgPVDB.png

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Reinstall the latest driver version?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The problem is I don't ever see that SLI configuration in the NVIDIA control panel. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers and that was to no avail.

I went into the BIOS and it actually says nothing is plugged into that slot, so I think the mobo might be the issue. I tried re-seatting the graphics card but that did not work.. Any suggestions?

do you have anything else in the PCI-E slots I.E sound card

@dhu77man This is very important, look up the specs for your motherboard and see how many PCI-e lanes you have available and at what speeds they operate based on what is populated.

With my motherboard I only have enough lanes for one other device in the PCI-e slots as well as 2x graphics cards. I found out the hard way when I got my 2nd gtx670 last year. I couldn't use SLI until I removed my pci-e wlan adapter, or sound card.

The problem is I don't ever see that SLI configuration in the NVIDIA control panel. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers and that was to no avail.

I went into the BIOS and it actually says nothing is plugged into that slot, so I think the mobo might be the issue. I tried re-seatting the graphics card but that did not work.. Any suggestions?

Do you have any other expansion cards like a soundcard or raidcard installed?

Well I dont see anywhere on the mobo specs of it actually supporting sli, could have missed it though. Take the bridge off and see what the bios can see, once youre in windows ensure that the correct drivers are installed for the card and check device manager to see if both are populated. specs on the psu could help too and like i asked before what os are you running?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

@dhu77man This is very important, look up the specs for your motherboard and see how many PCI-e lanes you have available and at what speeds they operate based on what is populated.

With my motherboard I only have enough lanes for one other device in the PCI-e slots as well as 2x graphics cards. I found out the hard way when I got my 2nd gtx670 last year. I couldn't use SLI until I removed my pci-e wlan adapter, or sound card.

How do I look this info up? I do have a wireless card plugged in, but I was having this issue before I had this..

Also, I just was moving the wireless card around, and I found out that all of the PCI slots underneath the graphics card that does work, say that they are "empty" in the BIOS, even though I have my graphics card plugged into the PCI-E 3.0 slot, and a wireless card plugged into the PCI-E 1.0 slot.... Why would only the the top PCI-E 3.0 and 1.0 slots work?

How do I look this info up? I do have a wireless card plugged in, but I was having this issue before I had this..

Also, I just was moving the wireless card around, and I found out that all of the PCI slots underneath the graphics card that does work, say that they are "empty" in the BIOS, even though I have my graphics card plugged into the PCI-E 3.0 slot, and a wireless card plugged into the PCI-E 1.0 slot.... Why would only the the top PCI-E 3.0 and 1.0 slots work?

Google for, or go get your motherboard manual and do some reading