Hyper 212 EVO Worth it?

JoshTBG
h80i or Hyper 212 EVO or is there no difference 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£236.34 @ Aria PC) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£63.00 @ Amazon UK) 

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£154.76 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  (£133.39 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£83.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  (£369.99 @ Ebuyer) 

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£94.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  (£11.21 @ Aria PC) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£83.31 @ Amazon UK) 

Other: NZXT Internal USB Expansion (£13.99)

Total: £1462.52

212 evo is definitely worth it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you plan on not overclocking, then the EVO will be better than the stock cooler.

If you wanna OC a chip like that, you should be going for something better.

I personally recommend staying clear of AIO coolers, as i personally wouldn't wanna have the risk of it leaking. Also, a high end air cooler, such as a Noctua NH-D15 stands toe to toe with coolers like the H100i, without the risk of water leaking, since it's an air cooler.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

There is a reason the 212 Evo is so well recommended. Temps right now in an 24c ambient. Hardly a good representation of how well it works, but the stock fan is only spinning @ 900 RPM right now. Highest I've seen it get, personally is 52C. More detailed specs in sig.

vNax.png

I have a 212 EVO. with my 3570k (see sig.) while gaming it never goes above 57C with ambiant of 25-28C (pretty warm room). If i'm running Intel Burn Test for stability testing I've never seen it go above 79-80C. Unless you plan on majorly OC'ing I would just go with the cheaper option. The 212 is a beast.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.3Ghz MOBO: ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe RAM: 2-4GB Gskill GPU: EVGA 670 FTW SSD: Vertex 4 256 Case: CM HAF 932

If you plan on not overclocking, then the EVO will be better than the stock cooler.

If you wanna OC a chip like that, you should be going for something better.

I personally recommend staying clear of AIO coolers, as i personally wouldn't wanna have the risk of it leaking. Also, a high end air cooler, such as a Noctua NH-D15 stands toe to toe with coolers like the H100i, without the risk of water leaking, since it's an air cooler.

If you have a decent AIO liquid cooler then they wont leak and if they do then they will probably replace your other damaged parts

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

If you have a decent AIO liquid cooler then they wont leak

There is always a chance of it leaking. I personally would not risk it, and i stated that already. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

If you have a decent AIO liquid cooler then they wont leak and if they do then they will probably replace your other damaged parts

This. A good AIO is very good imo. I really like my H110, my load temperatures are in the upper 60s. However, I don't think the H80i is a good AIO, its price to performance is too high.

I have a 212 EVO. with my 3570k (see sig.) while gaming it never goes above 57C with ambiant of 25-28C (pretty warm room). If i'm running Intel Burn Test for stability testing I've never seen it go above 79-80C. Unless you plan on majorly OC'ing I would just go with the cheaper option. The 212 is a beast.

^^ this. I run my 3570k on a 212 EVO at 4.5Ghz with temps @ 60-65C under 100% load on a warm day (in winter barely reaches 60C under full load).

that being said, the Haswell chips run really really really hot, and for the price of an H80 you might consider an air cooler like the PH-TC14PE or the NH-D14. they're big, but a lot quieter and better performers if you really want to overclock the pants off the Haswell i7.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Yeah the 212 is worth the money miles more than the h80i, IMO only 280mm or bigger AIO's are worth looking at. Other than that air cooling is the way.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

^^ this. I run my 3570k on a 212 EVO at 4.5Ghz with temps @ 60-65C under 100% load on a warm day (in winter barely reaches 60C under full load).

that being said, the Haswell chips run really really really hot, and for the price of an H80 you might consider an air cooler like the PH-TC14PE or the NH-D14. they're big, but a lot quieter and better performers if you really want to overclock the pants off the Haswell i7.

Do they really run really really hot, or are you comparing them clock for clock? Because you can't really compare clock for clock given how little clock speed means these days.

Do they really run really really hot, or are you comparing them clock for clock? Because you can't really compare clock for clock given how little clock speed means these days.

what are talking about? who's comparing clock speeds?

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

what are talking about? who's comparing clock speeds?

You said Haswell run hot. I'm asking under what parameters you're talking about. Presumably not at stock where their max TDP is only ten watts higher than the previous generation.

if i were u i would ask myself, would i take 212 evo or NH-D 15 or 14? h80 is not worth. if u plan to oc NH-D if not 212 evo is fine...

I have never seen the 212 Evo in person but, from reviews, it's a great cooler for the price.

Apart from what everybody said, if you like something silent, know that the included fan can be kind of noisy under load but it's not that loud, just a little bit.

There are many reviews and discussions about it as well, because of it's price and performance:

Here and here here, for example. Google has plenty more.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

But this great price to performance ratio for the Evo 212 only holds true for the US market.

Evo 212 costs 25$ in the US and 25£ in the UK

Thermalright Macho 120 costs 46$ in the US but only 31£ in the UK

or: Scyth Mugen 4 50$ us but only 38£ uk

The Evo 212 is ok, but compared to the Thermalright Macho 120 it's not all that appealing of a deal

In terms of price to performance, the Hyper 212 EVO is a godsend. (You shouldn't need pay more than $30 for it; sometimes it'll go on sale for $20-25)

Currently in the system I built for a friend they've got an AMD FX-6300 Stock @ 3.50 GHz running around 12-15% Overclocked using nothing more than an Hyper 212 EVO.

The temperatures sit around 26C-28C idle, and never go above 38C unless they're heavily taxing it with something like Battlefield 4. Even then, max I've seen it is around 46C.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

But this great price to performance ratio for the Evo 212 only holds true for the US market.

Evo 212 costs 25$ in the US and 25£ in the UK

Thermalright Macho 120 costs 46$ in the US but only 31£ in the UK

or: Scyth Mugen 4 50$ us but only 38£ uk

The Evo 212 is ok, but compared to the Thermalright Macho 120 it's not all that appealing of a deal

That's something to consider.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

For price vs performance, it's a great cooler.

But that being said, it's a mid range air cooler, so you are not limitless in your OC window. The big air coolers (PH-TC14PE / NH-D14 etc) are worth the extra money if you want more head room. Like anything in the PC world, you will always have price vs performance and have to take that into count.