A Networkquestion.

sgrubmayr

Hi guys I recently move into a new house which my family built. We've got a LAN socket in every room. The router is in my Fathers office downstairs. So how can I split the LAN? Please explain it so my grandma is able to understand is. I'm a noob at stuff like that.

Powerline? 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

There will be a place in your house where all the LAN port cables are grouped in one spot to connect to a network switch. You cannot just split one ethernet cable into 2 using an adapter. They each need to be plugged into their own port.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There will be a place in your house where all the LAN port cables are grouped in one spot to connect to a network switch. You cannot just split one ethernet cable into 2 using an adapter. They each need to be plugged into their own port.

No there isn't I've been looking for a switch they are just connected to each other I guess. There are three ports in the office (where the router is) one in the living room, one in my parents bedroom, one in my room and an other one in my sisters room. So what can I do?

No there isn't I've been looking for a switch they are just connected to each other I guess. There are three ports in the office (where the router is) one in the living room, one in my parents bedroom, one in my room and an other one in my sisters room. So what can I do?

if there is no switch and they are just 'connected to eachother' then you can only use one at a time.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hi guys I recently move into a new house which my family built. We've got a LAN socket in every room. The router is in my Fathers office downstairs. So how can I split the LAN? Please explain it so my grandma is able to understand is. I'm a noob at stuff like that.

Powerline? 

As @ANUPLUCIFERGAMER said your best option is  a powerline. I used one and it works fine. Or what you could do is buy wifi extender

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

If your house is PROPERLY wired for ethernet, then there will be a switch, or patch panel somewhere in the house, typically the basement, or utility closet. If it's a patch panel, you'll want to have the ISP installer connect the internet to that, and it will be sent out to all the ports. You'll want them to do it, because patch panels/punch down panels don't use the plastic connectors you see, just the wires. If it's a switch, then all you really need to do, is plug the internet cable (Ethernet from modem) into the switch, and hope it's pre-configured for you.

You can't simply split an Ethernet connection as it screws up how things get addressed, and data is sent (in basic terms). There has to be some form of a switch to make sure that each person get's the data they are supposed to. If you have no switch, or patch panel, or centralized location where all the Ethernet port cables meet, you do not have it properly wired in the house, and it's essentially useless.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

well thats really messed up - upload some pictures so we can see exactly how its been wired....

Computer Programming Nerd Guy + Computer Support @ Red Tree IT

Oh my head hurts. Seperating LAN is a easy thing, dont complicate it !!! There are so many options to do this including VLAN.

Do some better research before mentioning Powerline again, or Ill make you eat my CCNP certificate

If your house is PROPERLY wired for ethernet, then there will be a switch, or patch panel somewhere in the house, typically the basement, or utility closet. If it's a patch panel, you'll want to have the ISP installer connect the internet to that, and it will be sent out to all the ports. You'll want them to do it, because patch panels/punch down panels don't use the plastic connectors you see, just the wires. If it's a switch, then all you really need to do, is plug the internet cable (Ethernet from modem) into the switch, and hope it's pre-configured for you.

You can't simply split an Ethernet connection as it screws up how things get addressed, and data is sent (in basic terms). There has to be some form of a switch to make sure that each person get's the data they are supposed to. If you have no switch, or patch panel, or centralized location where all the Ethernet port cables meet, you do not have it properly wired in the house, and it's essentially useless.

You can split an single ethernet connection, doesnt screw up things. I have done this many times.

You can split an single ethernet connection, doesnt screw up things. I have done this many times.

I'm gonna blame my professors on this one lol. They re-enforced to never do that, always use a switch, or god forbid, a hub.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

I'm gonna blame my professors on this one lol. They re-enforced to never do that, always use a switch, or god forbid, a hub.

Dont worry my half degree I studied for doesnt count in the world of IT funny enough. The stuff they teach you is fine to understand in an IT company but when doing the work, an IT company teaches you more.