How do i know that my PSU is with no problems?

NirvanaN

Hello,

Recent my 770 stop working and i did sense a bit of burn smell on the connecters

Already sent it to RMA and the computer is working fine without the Graphics.

My concern is that when the graphics comes from RMA it happen the same thing so i need to know that my PSU has no problems on the PCI E connecters and the PCI Express on my board is fine aswell

How can i do this?

Is it better to pay at a store to do me this or is a simple thing i can do to check?

PSU is a TX850M and board P8Z77-i Deluxe

Thanks

What is your PSU?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

try the psu in another computer , as for the pci express, try another card in there

CPU 5900x| GPU 3080ti FE| MOBO MSI MPG CARBON MAX| RAM 32GB VENGENCE PRO 3200Mhz| STORAGE Samsung 980 Pro 1TB,2X WDSN750,4TB Seagate Barracuda| COOLING 1x Corsair 360mm XR7 54mm Radiator,1x EK-CoolStream PE 360mm Radiator| GPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XG7 RGB| CPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XC5 RGB| Fittings: EK-Torque STC & Corsair Hydro X Series XF| Pump/Res: EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5| Tubing: Corsair Hydro X Series XT Softline| Liquid: Corsair Hydro X Series XL5 Clear| Fans: 10x Corsair SP120 RGB

look at the connectors, do they look burnt or melted?

what PSU is it?

were you using two separate cables to power your GPU?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I doubt there is a problem with the PSU, just wait to see if the new card works.

--Edit--

I just looked up your motherboard and I think you may want to consider getting a new one as the one you have now is Z77. (I'd suggest Z97) But that's up to you.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

try the psu in another computer , as for the pci express, try another card in there

I dont have more computers or other gpu

look at the connectors, do they look burnt or melted?

what PSU is it?

were you using two separate cables to power your GPU?

They look fine to me

Im using the PCI cable that comes on the PSU

Its semi-modular so i can add the other two PCI E cables

They look fine to me

Each connector on the card should be pugged using an individual cable, not one of those cables that has two connectors on it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They look fine to me

You should just be plugging the GPU in with 8 pin cable (Not a 6+2) and a 6 pin cable.

Both using the extra cables that came in the box with the PSU.

I know. This

Each connector on the card should be pugged using an individual cable, not one of those cables that has two connectors on it.

I know. The card uses 2x8 pin

On the box i had a 6pin to 8pin

I didnt use them because i thought it was only for PSU that did not have the 8pins.

But maybe it burn because had too much power no?

I know. This

I know. The card uses 2x8 pin

On the box i had a 6pin to 8pin

I didnt use them because i thought it was only for PSU that did not have the 8pins.

But maybe it burn because had too much power no?

It seems like the cable or connector was burning, not the graphics card. Just use two different cables, and hopefully they won't have any issues.

Spoiler

You should just be plugging the GPU in with 8 pin cable (Not a 6+2) and a 6 pin cable.

Both using the extra cables that came in the box with the PSU.

So i have to use the cables that came in the box?

They are only 6pin to 8pin and since my PSU has the 6+2 integrated i just plug directly

So i have to use the cables that came in the box?

They are only 6pin to 8pin and since my PSU has the 6+2 integrated i just plug directly

Well if the card requires 2 8pins then connect both 8pins, I'm talking about with their own cables, not the ones that come already attached.

Don't use this: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6plus2.jpg

or This: http://www.pcpower.com/images/products/b/PCIE-6-8_3853.jpg

Use this: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/166/764/430/430764166_392.jpg

Since you caught the burn on the components side of things, your PSU shouldn't be defective. What can caused the connector to burn out is a something shorted out on the video card and cause a high power draw. The other is a high resistance cause by a loose connection. The latter is likely your issue.

Well if the card requires 2 8pins then connect both 8pins, I'm talking about with their own cables, not the ones that come already attached.

Don't use this: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6plus2.jpg

or This: http://www.pcpower.com/images/products/b/PCIE-6-8_3853.jpg

Use this: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/166/764/430/430764166_392.jpg

Well the first one is the ones i only have

The second one is the one that the graphics card came on th ebox

The third one is the one for the CPU

Well the first one is the ones i only have

The second one is the one that the graphics card came on th ebox

The third one is the one for the CPU

Your PSU has extra modular interfaces, 2 of which are 8 pins, and 2 are 6 pins, your PSU should have come with two 8 pin cables, and 2 6 pin cables, connect the two 8 pins to your PSU and then to your GPU.

Your PSU has extra modular interfaces, 2 of which are 8 pins, and 2 are 6 pins, your PSU should have come with two 8 pin cables, and 2 6 pin cables, connect the two 8 pins to your PSU and then to your GPU.

But the 8 pins are for CPU. They say CPU on the cable.

And i only have two 8 pin cables. One is on the PSU and the other is modular. I can't use this on the GPU

The cables that say PCI-E are all 6+2

I have 4 cables 6+2 - Two cables are on the PSU and two cables are modular

But the 8 pins are for CPU. They say CPU on the cable.

And i only have two 8 pin cables. One is on the PSU and the other is modular. I can't use this on the GPU

The cables that say PCI-E are all 6+2

I have 4 cables 6+2 - Two cables are on the PSU and two cables are modular

In the non-modular part there should be something that looks like this:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg

Use that for your CPU power, then use the two modular 8 pin connectors for your GPU.

In the non-modular part there should be something that looks like this:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg

Use that for your CPU power, then use the two modular 8 pin connectors for your GPU.

No, that connecter is the CPU connecter and i only have one more as modular and it says CPU as well.

20140302_174331.jpg

1x8PIN = CPU

2x6+2PIN = PCI-E

No, that connecter is the CPU connecter and i only have one more as modular and it says CPU as well.

1x8PIN = CPU

2x6+2PIN = PCI-E

Lets just get this straight, On the big mass of wires, the 4+4pin connector, use that for your CPU.

Then use both the 8 pin connectors for your GPU.

I don't care what one of the modular 8pin connectors says on it, just use them both for the GPU and use the 4+4 connector that is non-modular on the CPU.

Lets just get this straight, On the big mass of wires, the 4+4pin connector, use that for your CPU.

Then use both the 8 pin connectors for your GPU.

I don't care what one of the modular 8pin connectors says on it, just use them both for the GPU and use the 4+4 connector that is non-modular on the CPU.

That both 8pin u talk are a 6+2pin

There is no other 8pin

That both 8pin u talk are a 6+2pin

There is no other 8pin

There are 2 8pin modular connectors and 2 6pin modular connectors on the power supply, there should have been 2 8pin modular cables that came with the power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139029

This mainstream TX850M unit has four 6+2 pin connector, as stated in the technical specification. Of course, you can say that Newegg is wrong, but if you look at the images, you would see two 6+2 pin PEG connector among the cables that is hardwired. The images that shows the modular cables shows a set of peripheral connectors, and three more cables. This image correspond with the images that the OP had posted. The TX850M has two 4+4 Pin EPS12V / ATX12v CPU connector - one hardwired and the other is a modular cable.

You CANNOT used the 8 pin CPU connector on the GPU. So what is left is the other two cables with are 6+2 pin PEG modular cables.

Assuming that you had used the 6+2 PEG connector that is hardwired originally before it got burnt, then the 6+2 PEG modular would work. Make sure it is securely connected to the GPU and PSU.

I can't find a clear picture of the PSU cables, but Corsair say that there are 4 PCIe power connectors. The modular connectors on the PSU are two 8pins and two 6pins, and seeing as the 4+4 for the CPU (EPS connector, Corsair say there is only 1) I would think these are PCIE 8pin connectors. Those cables should only fit either the CPU plug or the PCIe plug, not both. They are definitely not compatible with each other:

cablemod2.jpg

The TX850M has two 4+4 Pin EPS12V / ATX12v CPU connector - one hardwired and the other is a modular cable.

Strange, Corsair claim it only has one EPS connector:

http://www.corsair.com/enthusiast-series-modular-tx850m-80-plus-bronze-certified-850-watt-high-performance-modular-power-supply

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Interestingly enough, the people who manage Corsair site sometimes put inaccurate information on their listing.

Check out the TX750M: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/enthusiast-series-modular-tx850m-80-plus-bronze-certified-750-watt-high-performance-modular-power-supply

Look at the URL, and you will see they put "TX850M"

Now look at a review at Jonnyguru (scroll down to the bottom chart) http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=254

Corsair states that there's only one EPS connector as well; however, JG sample got two - one hardwire and one modular.