Please help me decide between these PSU's.

k3nnis

Hi All,

I can't decide, should I get the Seasonic X650 or G-650?

My system:

i5 4690K

8GB RAM

Asus Maximus VII Ranger Motherboard

GTX 770

NZXT H440 with stock case fans

NZXT X61

Question, will the above power supplies handle SLI? 

Will I benefit in getting the X over the G?

I will be overclocking CPU only by a tiny amount. say to 4Ghz.

Thanks,

K.

Neither will handle SLI 770s. The X is fully modular and looks different, that's the major difference.

I would recommend to overclock your GPUs aswell because it's stupid easy and safe.

For a PSU I'd recommend the EVGA supernova 850 G2

who cares...

Was about to say inb4 EVGA fanbois, but the guy above beat me.

You'd need at least 800W+ minimum for SLI i'd imagine. With at least an 80+ Bronze rating. Modular is also nice, but not a necessity. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

To be honest if the psu isn't modular or at least semi mod it's going to be crap. A 850W non mod psu will have cheap components and poor build quality but, hey, it's cheap!

The EVGA G2 is probably the best bang for the buck right now but look around. The difference pricewise between an 80 bronze and 80 gold probably isn't as much as you might think. It's when you get to platinum that the price goes through the roof.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Thanks. So I guess if I don't SLI then it will work with the above PSU's? The reason I thought it may be enough for SLI is I have heard that gold+ PSU's which are efficient can handle SLI AT 650w OR 750w.

Was about to say inb4 EVGA fanbois, but the guy above beat me.

You'd need at least 800W+ minimum for SLI i'd imagine. With at least an 80+ Bronze rating. Modular is also nice, but not a necessity. 

I am not an EVGA fanboy but somehow they manage to be 20-40% cheaper than the others. :D

who cares...

To be honest if the psu isn't modular or at least semi mod it's going to be crap. A 850W non mod psu will have cheap components and poor build quality but, hey, it's cheap!

The EVGA G2 is probably the best bang for the buck right now but look around. The difference pricewise between an 80 bronze and 80 gold probably isn't as much as you might think. It's when you get to platinum that the price goes through the roof.

Being modular has no impact on the quality of the parts inside. You only tend to find the higher wattage PSU's to be modular simply because it's a bit harder/costly to manufacture compared to the traditional method of bunching them together and putting them through a single hole. Manufacturers have found that people going for higher end stuff tends to like aesthetics, and as such they cater for them with modular power supplies, so they don't have unnecessary cables dangling inside their case.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

It's not whether they can SLI but what you're SLI'ing. 2 780ti's are going to draw way more than a pair of 760's. You want to have a little headroom with all that as well. It's why the manu's "recommend" 600W units when it looks like you'll only draw 400+W. A 750 or 850 unit should have enough umph to handle any 2 cards you through at them and the better the psu, the more confident you can be about that. The biggest issue with all these psu's is that the harder you drive them the hotter they get. Better supplies have components that handle the heat better and at higher temperatures for a longer period of time.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Yes and no. The issue of modularity is strictly a marketing thing. It's one of those things -- like power windows -- that separates higher quality units just because it's denotes an option that says quality. By not having it in the 850W class vs. the 600W class say, is admitting that you are cheapening out on all your other components and you are a low end builder.

Now that doesn't mean that automatically a mod psu is the best of the best, but it is an indication that the maker has spent some extra on cases, engineering and cables so hopefully it follows that the insides have had the same care as well.

Thanks. If I had to go for a 750 gold I would need to get the g series as the x is outside of my budget at that power... Is the x series more efficient than the g series?

The EVGA 750 G2 is better than the X. It's probably the best 80+ gold at the moment.*

*This info is valid for a limited time only. YMMV. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Thanks. If I had to go for a 750 gold I would need to get the g series as the x is outside of my budget at that power... Is the x series more efficient than the g series?

Honestly idek what these guys are saying. 

The Seasonic G or X 650 will handle two 770's in SLI.

The X has same efficiency as the G, but has some extra goodies like being modular, and hybrid fan (fan doesn't spin at all unless you're gaming or doing intensive stuff)

"Rawr XD"

Thanks. Over where I am in Australia, difference between the g and x is $60

The EVGA 750 G2 is better than the X. It's probably the best 80+ gold at the moment.*

*This info is valid for a limited time only. YMMV. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

[citation needed]

OP: You can also look at third party brands that use SeaSonic as an OEM (like XFX), as they're usually cheaper.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

JonnyGuru. OklahomaWolf gave both the 750 and 850 G2's 9.9's. Praised them to the heavens and basically said that they were platinums masquerading as golds. I trust his judgements.

Thanks Guys. I am seriously considering the eVGA 750 G2 at this stage or a seasonic G series 750W.

Just an update, I just purchased the EVGA Supernova G2 750W. Hopefully it will be a good one and also support SLI down the track. I almost bought the seasonic G series 750W, that was a bit more expensive...Will be installing the evga into a NZXT H440 case.

Just an update, I just purchased the EVGA Supernova G2 750W. Hopefully it will be a good one and also support SLI down the track. I almost bought the seasonic G series 750W, that was a bit more expensive...Will be installing the evga into a NZXT H440 case.

Don't worry dude, I just put in a 750w G2 over a week ago, and it is nice. Sure, it's not long enough to truly say for sure how it is, but I am happy. 

Thanks for the encouragement :) Hopefully it will last 10 years :)

Thanks Guys. I am seriously considering the eVGA 750 G2 at this stage or a seasonic G series 750W.

EVGA G2. Pretty much the power supply to get right now. Super Flower kill em

"Rawr XD"