Needing help on choosing a new mic under 100$.

Ferrera

Greetings,

A few months ago I've bought headphones and mic combo recommended by you guys (The DT-990's pro and a cheap zalman mic), thank you. I love the headphones but I wasn't happy with the mic.
Recently the mic stopped working and now it is time to buy a new one. I was looking into the condenser mic section and I found the Audio Technica AT2020 and the Samson CO1U.
So yeah, I'm looking for those types of mics, I just want one with a bit of background noise cancellation and that records sound in a relatively small angle, the mic will be used for Skype, Teamspeak and commenting.
Also, my keyboard will be around 15 inches away from the mic, I hope it doesn't capture too much of the noise come from it.

Let me know your insight, thanks for your time.

Anything wrong with a Modmic? I think they're only US$50.

If it's better than the Samson CO1U which is 15$ more here, I don't mind.

If it's better than the Samson CO1U which is 15$ more here, I don't mind.

I can't speak personally but this review is by someone with a CO1U. Basically in terms of pure quality the CO1U is better but the Modmic 4.0 is more usable from some perspectives.

http://alttabme.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-antlion-modmic-4-0.4728/

Greetings,

A few months ago I've bought headphones and mic combo recommended by you guys (The DT-990's pro and a cheap zalman mic), thank you. I love the headphones but I wasn't happy with the mic.

Recently the mic stopped working and now it is time to buy a new one. I was looking into the condenser mic section and I found the Audio Technica AT2020 and the Samson CO1U.

So yeah, I'm looking for those types of mics, I just want one with a bit of background noise cancellation and that records sound in a relatively small angle, the mic will be used for Skype, Teamspeak and commenting.

Also, my keyboard will be around 15 inches away from the mic, I hope it doesn't capture too much of the noise come from it.

Let me know your insight, thanks for your time.

Well the microphones are all condensers and they tend to pick up alot of background noise unless you have a microphone boom arm stand and a pop filter, with it right in your face and the gain really low. That's when most of the background should be canceled. This will cost more. You might be able to get away with a sock but I haven't tried it.

Maybe the modmic would be better as it has noise cancellation. 

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

Well the microphones are all condensers and they tend to pick up alot of background noise unless you have a microphone boom arm stand and a pop filter, with it right in your face and the gain really low. That's when most of the background should be canceled. This will cost more. You might be able to get away with a sock but I haven't tried it.

Maybe the modmic would be better as it has noise cancellation. 

I have a mic arm stand somewhere lost in my house. Don't have a pop filter though.

I have a mic arm stand somewhere lost in my house. Don't have a pop filter though.

I forgot to mention that you will need a shock mount with the microphone stand. The AT2020XLR will come with one. You will also need a XLR cable and a audio interface. This meaning it will cost a lot more than $100. 

The AT2020USB does come with a stand, but I'm not sure how much background noise it will record when placed on the desk near or in front of you.

I forgot to mention that you will need a shock mount with the microphone stand.

Nah mang. Shock mounts are overrated.

Blue Snowball

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

you have quite a few options if you go with USB condensers, 

AKG Perception 120 and 220.

Blue Yeti

AT2020USB

Samson CO1U

There are more, but those are my personally suggestions. It shouldn't be too hard to find them for $100 or so. 

you have quite a few options if you go with USB condensers, 

AKG Perception 120 and 220.

Blue Yeti

AT2020USB

Samson CO1U

There are more, but those are my personally suggestions. It shouldn't be too hard to find them for $100 or so. 

$100 budget, not $50. 

They aren't overrated when they come with the mic LOL.

Do you even multiquote? 

I need buy a Zalman mic and actually test the difference, but I found the Neewer lapel mics, which they actually work really well for me (better mic quality than my HyperX Clouds) I got 5 for less than $6 bucks, so I don't think it would hurt to try.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B