GPU PCB Manufacturers competition ?

Gonzague35

Hi, i would like to hear some opinions on this particular question. Why is the gpu pcb manufacturing market only composed of Nvidia and Amd.

Are there other manufacturers ? or is there a reason why no one tries to start a new company ?

To add some precision, im mostly concerned by everyday gpus more than pro one since i know of some smaller companies who produce cards like the red rocket x

Thank you and correct me if something is wrong

Nvidia and AMD don't make PCB's. They make the cores and designs for everything to go on the PCB.

The reason being is that no one else has enough money or reputation to compete with them.

They don't make PCBs. They make GPUs.

And the reason there is no other 'mainstream' GPU manufacturer is because it takes trillions of dollars and decades of R&D to make anything that can compete with Nvidia or AMD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Nvidia and AMD don't make PCB's. They make the cores and designs for everything to go on the PCB.

The reason being is that no one else has enough money or reputation to compete with them.

Intel. They could do it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well, there's always Matrox

Never heard of it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Listen harder

I try. It's just too quiet...

Spoiler

Oh, i thought they also designed the PCB themselves ?

No. They make the core, take a PCB, and add everything made by other people to it. RAM, caps, etc.

I guess it's too bad Endermen have no ears ;)

:unsure:

Spoiler

They don't make PCBs. They make GPUs.

And the reason there is no other 'mainstream' GPU manufacturer is because it takes trillions of dollars and decades of R&D to make anything that can compete with Nvidia or AMD.

Trillions is quite an overestimation but the others who have posted here are correct. AMD and Nvidia are too big of a challenge to meet for any potential start up company. Not only with their budgets and development experience but with their entrenched product and customer bases, people tend to stick with what they know and some random newcomer would most certainly not be what they know.

Intel could do it, in fact they are in a way. With intel's focus on mobile iGPU's increasing we've seen quite the jumps in processing grunt, Iris Pro 5200/5100 is a pretty capable piece of kit. Especially when compared to it's predecessors, given the enhancements that Broadwell and Skylake are sure to bring in the iGPU's that intel will be putting out could start to rival mid range mobile dedicated cards. Though anything beyond that is unlikely, Intel could do more but I cannot imagine them seeing worth in producing discrete desktop/laptop GPU's.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Trillions is quite an overestimation but the others who have posted here are correct. AMD and Nvidia are too big of a challenge to meet for any potential start up company. Not only with their budgets and development experience but with their entrenched product and customer bases, people tend to stick with what they know and some random newcomer would most certainly not be what they know.

Intel could do it, in fact they are in a way. With intel's focus on mobile iGPU's increasing we've seen quite the jumps in processing grunt, Iris Pro 5200/5100 is a pretty capable piece of kit. Especially when compared to it's predecessors, given the enhancements that Broadwell and Skylake are sure to bring in the iGPU's that intel will be putting out could start to rival mid range mobile dedicated cards. Though anything beyond that is unlikely, Intel could do more but I cannot imagine them seeing worth in producing discrete desktop/laptop GPU's.

Well trillions over all the years that they have been developing products...AMD and nvidia have been around a long time.

And intel does have the money to do it, but they make enough money from processors that making dedicated GPUs would be a waste of time.

They might end up like AMD making both CPUs and GPUs that are not as good as they could be...

Spoiler

They might end up like AMD making both CPUs and GPUs that are not as good as they could be...

The difference between AMD and intel is that if intel decided to do it they have the money and R&D prowess to make sure it's not a half-assed effort.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

There used to be another major graphics card company, 3dfx, who invented sli, but they went bust in 2000.

Well they started doing their integrated graphics.

I've high hopes for a better Broadwell-k processor with iris.

That's because AMD bought ATi in 2006. Intel hasn't bought any GPU manufacturer.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Intel makes GPUs...

Has no one heard of knight's landging?

Xeon phi???

Anyone?!?!

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Never heard of it.

They once made gaming GPUs (back in the ATI Rage days), then they fell behind in that area, now they dominate in the market of multimonitor setup (6+ monitors) GPUs.

Intel makes GPUs...

Has no one heard of knight's landging?

Xeon phi???

Anyone?!?!

Not a GPU. COMPUTE CARD. Big difference. AFAIK, Knight's Landing is x86 based.

They do have the majority in the GPU market actually (thanks to iGPUs)

There was once a discrete GPU project for Intel (that was later scrapped), called Larrabee.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

fae7a722_geforce-gtx-780-pcb-frontM.png

See the shiny metallic chip in the middle? That's the GPU core. That is the heart (or the brains) of the graphics card. That is what NVidia makes.

See everything else? That's the PCB. That's what the board manufacturers make (i.e. ASUS, EVGA, MSi, etc).

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>