PC freezes/crashes.

Hi everyone ! My problem is as follows. I boot my PC and leave it at idle. Everything is normal but then I decide to start surfing or play a game. I start watching a video on YouTube and after 10 seconds my PC freezes and shows a white blank screen. Same thing with games but with different colors ( I played Portal 2 and it showed a blue-ish blank screen for Team Fortress 2 - green-ish). I restarted my PC and I decided to run some scans. Malwarebytes didn't detect anything. Avira on the other did but they were not related to my problem since it didn't fix anything. I then checked if there was a fan not working properly. Turned out that they were completely fine. I checked the temps of my GPU and CPU at idle and when trying to watch a video on YouTube. The CPU was at 25-30 and my GPU - 40 degrees celcius. I thought could be from my monitor but that wasn't true. That was because when I press Num Lock on the keyboard while it crashed, the LED didn't do anything and the sound (if I was watching a video) started to lag.

This is my configuration:

PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD FX 8320 (not overclocked)
GPU: MSI R9 270X OC GAMING EDITION
RAM: KINGSTON HyperX BEAST 2x4GB 1600Mhz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
PSU: FSP RAIDER 650W Silver
Case: COOLER MASTER N500

Hello geshadve,

I have myself encountered this issue or at least one similar to it;

Open up your case (with your computer off, unplugged and drained of all power obviously) and take that R9 270X OC out. Yes you want to use your overclocked video card but those issues are commonly seen with video cards that have been overclocked.  This doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the card itself, but you'll want to do process of elimination.  If you're still having the problem with onboard video, then there are other factors to look into. If it stops after you take your video card out. Then you can look into simply re-seating it to make sure it's connected securely.

If you still have issues using onboard video, post again and I'll see what I can do to help you.

If there isn't a problem anymore; reconnect the video card, make sure every connect for it is secure from both ends (motherboard and any power connections for the card), Re-install the drivers for it and see if the issue still hapens.

If it does, the last thing I would suggest before trying an RMA (if you still have warranty) is to open up or get a config utility and knock the card's clock speeds down to non-OC levels and see if it stabilizes..

In the event you don't have warranty anymore, you could at least potentially knock the card down a notch and keep using it if it does stabilize

Good luck.  Hallowed are the Ori.

Hello geshadve,

I have myself encountered this issue or at least one similar to it;

Open up your case (with your computer off, unplugged and drained of all power obviously) and take that R9 270X OC out. Yes you want to use your overclocked video card but those issues are commonly seen with video cards that have been overclocked.  This doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the card itself, but you'll want to do process of elimination.  If you're still having the problem with onboard video, then there are other factors to look into. If it stops after you take your video card out. Then you can look into simply re-seating it to make sure it's connected securely.

If you still have issues using onboard video, post again and I'll see what I can do to help you.

If there isn't a problem anymore; reconnect the video card, make sure every connect for it is secure from both ends (motherboard and any power connections for the card), Re-install the drivers for it and see if the issue still hapens.

If it does, the last thing I would suggest before trying an RMA (if you still have warranty) is to open up or get a config utility and knock the card's clock speeds down to non-OC levels and see if it stabilizes..

In the event you don't have warranty anymore, you could at least potentially knock the card down a notch and keep using it if it does stabilize

Good luck.  Hallowed are the Ori.

I removed and reseated the GPU but it didn't work. I can't test without the GPU because I don't have on board graphics. Using MSI Afterburner I lowerd the core clock from 1080 to 1000 but it still freezes/crashes.

Update your drivers or revert back drivers.  See if thats helps.

Also, try change your antivirus.  Antivirus software can interfere with things, so change to AVG or Avast for a week or so and see if the problem persists. 

Update your drivers or revert back drivers.  See if thats helps.

Also, try change your antivirus.  Antivirus software can interfere with things, so change to AVG or Avast for a week or so and see if the problem persists. 

Updated my drivers to 14.7 Beta and I removed Avira. Unfortunately that didn't help.