Unexplainable BSOD

Ok so this problem has happened a few times now, I will be in a game, so far it's only happened in DayZ mod, and now in bfbc2. I will be playing my game, the screen will freeze, a horrible noise will occur from my speakers and I get a BSOD and my pc restarts on it's own.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:    124
  BCP1:    0000000000000000
  BCP2:    FFFFFA8007B8D678
  BCP3:    0000000000000000
  BCP4:    0000000000000000
  OS Version:    6_1_7601
  Service Pack:    1_0
  Product:    768_1

This is what windows gives me when I log back in from the restart. I have tried finding the following files

C:\Windows\Minidump\083114-7862-01.dmp
  C:\Users\(Real name redacted)\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-20966-0.sysdata.xml

And I am unable to view these files. When I click on the first one it tells me I don't have a program to view it, I click on the second ones and my internet browser opens to a "this page cannot be displayed" page.

I cannot figure out what this issue is, as far as I can tell nothing is wrong with my GPU. It doesn't have any issues running games like SWTOR on ultra high, and I only have BFBC2 running on medium so that I don't get lag. I don't have anything OC'ed. I just have everything set to optimized defaults. The only thing I set manually in the bios is my memory, which is set to it's rated 1600mhz, because It always runs at 1333 when I hit load optimized defaults.

What do? Everything is up to date, video drivers, bios, etc. and this keeps happening. Usually it will happen one time, and then I can run for a good while (until I get tired and stop gaming) without happening again. PLEASE HELP lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Is it only an issue with those two games or is it all of your games?

So far those are the only two that it has happened with. At least that I can remember. I've never had any of these troubles until I built my "new" pc with my new motherboard and cpu. Both of which are under full warranty as well as aftermarket warranties on both. I just really hope I don't have to send them back. I have also been having this intermittent sound issue over my HDMI cable, I know it's coming from there because all the sound for my monitor comes over the hdmi cable. The issue is that sound will be staticy and video will be tremendously slow/choppy. Usually I can restart the pc and it goes away. I'm starting to think my GPU is dying for some reason. I played swtor for a good 5 hours on ultra/high graphics, in window'ed mode with gpuz open and the temps never got above 53C, and randomly went up and down between 40-53C.

-snip-

The only issue I think it could have with the motherboard is damaged PCI lanes, which can also explain the sound issues since you are using HD audio coming from the GPU rather than the motherboard. You can try changing PCI-E slots and reinstalling drivers, that may fix the issue.

The only issue I think it could have with the motherboard is damaged PCI lanes, which can also explain the sound issues since you are using HD audio coming from the GPU rather than the motherboard. You can try changing PCI-E slots and reinstalling drivers, that may fix the issue.

I read my manual and didn't see it, but doesn't a single gpu have to be installed into the top slot? It is a dual SLI capable motherboard. Gigabyte GAz97MX gaming 5. Shutting down now, will see how it works. This only happens rarely.

I read my manual and didn't see it, but doesn't a single gpu have to be installed into the top slot? It is a dual SLI capable motherboard. Gigabyte GAz97MX gaming 5. Shutting down now, will see how it works. This only happens rarely.

Nope, the slot it populates doesn't matter as long as it's at least 8x. Most GPU's aren't capable of enough throughput to max out an 8x slot's bandwidth.

Nope, the slot it populates doesn't matter as long as it's at least 8x. Most GPU's aren't capable of enough throughput to max out an 8x slot's bandwidth.

Good to know. Just made the swap. At least now there will be a decent amount of room between the gpu and my massive noctua air cooler. I didn't move it to the bottom slot since that's the other SLI slot, instead I moved it to the x16 slot right above that one. My reasoning being that the SLI slots share paths or something and if the top slot (which is one of the sli slots) is damaged, then maybe this one isnt.

Now to wait and see if it happens again. I am considering sending the mobo back for replacement if this is the issue, I have the OEM warranty as well as an accidental damage replacement warranty I bought from newegg. Although the noise issue did NOT happen upon start up, this was because the pc was sending sound to my headphones and not my monitor.

Good to know. Just made the swap. At least now there will be a decent amount of room between the gpu and my massive noctua air cooler. I didn't move it to the bottom slot since that's the other SLI slot, instead I moved it to the x16 slot right above that one. My reasoning being that the SLI slots share paths or something and if the top slot (which is one of the sli slots) is damaged, then maybe this one isnt.

Now to wait and see if it happens again. I am considering sending the mobo back for replacement if this is the issue, I have the OEM warranty as well as an accidental damage replacement warranty I bought from newegg. Although the noise issue did NOT happen upon start up, this was because the pc was sending sound to my headphones and not my monitor.

Yeah if that turns out to have been the issue you should definitely RMA the board.

Yeah if that turns out to have been the issue you should definitely RMA the board.

Nope, the issue still occured after about 20 minutes in game on BFBC2. I even adjusted my normal nvidia control panel settings to balanced instead of all quality. This time though, the sound dropped out completely, and I mean just stopped and went silent, about a minute or 2 before the BSOD. I think it's my GPU.

Nope, the issue still occured after about 20 minutes in game on BFBC2. I even adjusted my normal nvidia control panel settings to balanced instead of all quality. This time though, the sound dropped out completely, and I mean just stopped and went silent, about a minute or 2 before the BSOD. I think it's my GPU.

Seems like that the case, it just seems odd that it would only occur in one or two games then :\

Seems like that the case, it just seems odd that it would only occur in one or two games then :\

It seems to only occur in games that are very graphically intensive. SWTOR really doesn't take much to run on ultra, according to gpu-z I was barely pushing the card. Oddly enough I don't remember this occuring in battlefield 4, and it has occurred in STALKER shadow of chernobyl.

Edit: Made a ticket with EVGA, considering that they are closed tomorrow I won't hear from them for a bit. I'm hoping to get the same experience another member on here got, where he sent in a card, and they sent him back a 760 instead of what he had, when he called back and said that wouldn't work with his SLI setup, they asked him to send in the other 600 series card and sent him another 760. So heres hoping I get myself a new shiny 760 or some such.

It seems to only occur in games that are very graphically intensive. SWTOR really doesn't take much to run on ultra, according to gpu-z I was barely pushing the card. Oddly enough I don't remember this occuring in battlefield 4, and it has occurred in STALKER shadow of chernobyl.

Edit: Made a ticket with EVGA, considering that they are closed tomorrow I won't hear from them for a bit. I'm hoping to get the same experience another member on here got, where he sent in a card, and they sent him back a 760 instead of what he had, when he called back and said that wouldn't work with his SLI setup, they asked him to send in the other 600 series card and sent him another 760. So heres hoping I get myself a new shiny 760 or some such.

Aha good luck that would be awesome :D

Ok so I cannot figure this out. I have removed the GPU and attempted to run battlefield bad company 2 on the onboard graphics. Which seemed to be working fine until I just got black-screened, and the pc rebooted, giving me the same 124 error code, which is a hardware error from what I have read. I have run memtest86 for 2 hours and found no errors in the memory. I have reinstalled my heatsink and reapplied my thermal paste as well. Barring a complete windows reinstall I am out of ideas.

Can anyone please help me with this? It's growing increasingly annoying and I am out of ideas. I have no clue what is happening, and I have no idea how to use or view the minidump files. How can I determine what is happening? Could it be a driver issue that's causing me to get a hardware fault error?

Seriously, can someone please help.

@GingerbreadPK @LukaP @Askew @ANYBODY

Bluescreenview will allow you to read minidumps.

Is anything over clocked? I'm talking ram cpu or gpu.

The only thing I can think of is the memory, although it's not really an overclock since it's rated at 1600mhz. Whenever I click "load optimized defaults" or the bios gets otherwise reset, it want's to run at 1333. I assume that's normal though because it happened on my last motherboard which was an AMD board. Right now I'm downloading an .iso of ubuntu so I can make a usb boot disc format my SSD OS drive and reinstall windows cleanly (last time I tried to install it and it created some sort of "old" folder or something, so this time I'm flat out erasing everything and starting 100% fresh.)

Beyond that I have no idea wtf is wrong, and if reinstalling doesn't work I'm just gonna take it to a shop and see what they thing. I'd rather not have to RMA the cpu and motherboard, even though both are under manufacturer warranty AND an aftermarket warranty.

Where can I get bluescreenview? Googled it but I got a bunch of different results, want something trustworthy

The only thing I can think of is the memory, although it's not really an overclock since it's rated at 1600mhz. Whenever I click "load optimized defaults" or the bios gets otherwise reset, it want's to run at 1333. I assume that's normal though because it happened on my last motherboard which was an AMD board. Right now I'm downloading an .iso of ubuntu so I can make a usb boot disc format my SSD OS drive and reinstall windows cleanly (last time I tried to install it and it created some sort of "old" folder or something, so this time I'm flat out erasing everything and starting 100% fresh.)

Beyond that I have no idea wtf is wrong, and if reinstalling doesn't work I'm just gonna take it to a shop and see what they thing. I'd rather not have to RMA the cpu and motherboard, even though both are under manufacturer warranty AND an aftermarket warranty.

Where can I get bluescreenview? Googled it but I got a bunch of different results, want something trustworthy

I added a link I spent about 5 minutes trying to paste it on fucking chrome for Android and it wouldn't do it, I swapped to Firefox and it it worked.

I added a link I spent about 5 minutes trying to paste it on fucking chrome for Android and it wouldn't do it, I swapped to Firefox and it it worked.

Thanks.

That doesn't really sounds like a memory issue.

That doesn't really sounds like a memory issue.

I honestly can't figure it out. I'm starting to think it's either my cpu or my motherboard, thankfully both are under an accidental damage warranty and the manufacturer warranty. Could it be some sort of driver issue? I haven't reinstalled yet because I'm waiting for ubuntu to download, friggin thing is taking forever for some reason.

The real bitch is that when I went to format my usb stick, I accidentally formatted the drive bfbc2 was on so now I can't test to see if it was a thermal paste issue. Part of me suspects it's a windows update issue, because now that I think about it, when I first built this machine with this mobo and cpu, I played all of these games without issue (other than the sound issue) and got no blue screen. Including bf4 which is probably the most system intensive game that I play.

See what happens with a clean install of windows before you do anything else.

See what happens with a clean install of windows before you do anything else.

i downloaded bluescreenview, what am I looking for?

I honestly can't figure it out. I'm starting to think it's either my cpu or my motherboard, thankfully both are under an accidental damage warranty and the manufacturer warranty. Could it be some sort of driver issue? I haven't reinstalled yet because I'm waiting for ubuntu to download, friggin thing is taking forever for some reason.

The real bitch is that when I went to format my usb stick, I accidentally formatted the drive bfbc2 was on so now I can't test to see if it was a thermal paste issue. Part of me suspects it's a windows update issue, because now that I think about it, when I first built this machine with this mobo and cpu, I played all of these games without issue (other than the sound issue) and got no blue screen. Including bf4 which is probably the most system intensive game that I play.

I don't know I'm kind of at a loss myself :\

I'm just gonna say fuck it and go with a fresh install of windows 7. I don't really think this install was fresh, as it didn't really overrite the install that was already on the SSD. It didn't format the drive, it saved the old install into a file which I then deleted. I really wish gigabyte's driver CD didn't include a bunch of random crap. All I really want from them is the internet drivers, but you can't have that without their fancy ass non functional (at least for me) Killer Ethernet program.

Failing that, I'm just gonna have to take it to a shop and see what's what. Still going to RMA the GPU though because it was giving me sound issues.

I'm having the same issue where graphically intensive games like Borderlands 2 and Alan Wake will freeze up with a crazy sound before restarting my computer. Games like Fallout New Vegas don't do this to me strangely.