FX 8320 sabertooth Mobo vs i5 4690k Asus Z97-A mobo

Hello,

Which wins in categories: future proof (I know there is no such thing but for newer games because of console 8 core)

, speed and fps performance, and overclocking performance. Also the Intel set up will cost me $20 more...

My rig:

Shadow rock 2 cooler

2 7950s in cf

6GB DDR3 1333mhz

I also mainly play bf4.

Thanks for the help

Any reason?

\the 8320 is nowhere near as powerful as the 4690k and AM3+ is (likely) a dead platform and will see no real CPU updates. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

\the 8320 is nowhere near as powerful as the 4690k and AM3+ is (likely) a dead platform and will see no real CPU updates.

What about in the future? When I saw benches they seemed neck and neck...

Any reason?

Yes, the 4690K is more powerful, the socket will have another wave of brand new CPUs released on it, and the Z97 Chipset will be compatible with them.

The 8320 is a weaker CPU, the socket will have no more brand new CPUs released on it and in order to upgrade you will need to swap the board out.

What about in the future? When I saw benches they seemed neck and neck...

The intel CPU is better in performance in most benchmarks, even multithreaded ones. Also, it's way more efficient, drawing less power, being a bit cooler, and your overclock will benefit you more clock for clock in comparison to the FX 8320. Also, AM3+ doesn't seem to have much life left, so having a z97 motherboard will give you more upgrade options in the future. Not sure if any will actually be viable... but it's always nice to have options.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Yes, the 4690K is more powerful, the socket will have another wave of brand new CPUs released on it, and the Z97 Chipset will be compatible with them.

The 8320 is a weaker CPU, the socket will have no more brand new CPUs released on it and in order to upgrade you will need to swap the board out.

Okay, any better board for gaming xfire and oc?

The intel CPU is better in performance in most benchmarks, even multithreaded ones. Also, it's way more efficient, drawing less power, being a bit cooler, and your overclock will benefit you more clock for clock in comparison to the FX 8320. Also, AM3+ doesn't seem to have much life left, so having a z97 motherboard will give you more upgrade options in the future. Not sure if any will actually be viable... but it's always nice to have options.

Okay any better Intel board? I live in Canada, I used PC part picker to find a combo for $390 for that one. Anything better? I need cf to not have bottleneck by pcie lanes... Also very big fan of features. Hate gigabyte and asrock is meh idk about fatal1ty.

Only in cinebench you will see amd 8 core similar performance as 4 intel core and that is because it is perfectly threaded workload.

Also for video encoding. For gaming you only need i5.

two x8 lanes is enough 

Only in cinebench you will see amd 8 core similar performance as 4 intel core and that is because it is perfectly threaded workload.

Also for video encoding. For gaming you only need i5.

two x8 lanes is enough

Any Mobo reccomendations?

Okay, any better board for gaming xfire and oc?

Okay any better Intel board? I live in Canada, I used PC part picker to find a combo for $390 for that one. Anything better? I need cf to not have bottleneck by pcie lanes... Also very big fan of features. Hate gigabyte and asrock is meh idk about fatal1ty.

Alright, took me a while to search what you were asking, so many Asrocks and Gigabyte boards lol, this looks good to me though.

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Any Mobo reccomendations?

Wait, i remeber you! COmon man, go and disable 1 core in each module to see if you even need upgrade! Dont be so stubborn lol, i am trying to help you and save you some money! 

Unless you want me to be discredited of all the help i give. Lol.

Wait, i remeber you! COmon man, go and disable 1 core in each module to see if you even need upgrade! Dont be so stubborn lol, i am trying to help you and save you some money!

Unless you want me to be discredited of all the help i give. Lol.

Well the problem is even with that it won't be as fast as a 4690k and I still need a new Mobo...

Alright, took me a while to search what you were asking, so many Asrocks and Gigabyte boards lol, this looks good to me though.

Okay.

Is that better than the Asus Z97 A?

Is that better than the Asus Z97 A?

Yeah, I think so. The Asus isn't a bad mobo or anything though, so if you're looking at that, it could be worth it.  :D

for pure gaming i would say an i5.

Asus Z97-A is basicly a good board.

FX8320 is not a bad cpu for gaming, but the unlocked haswell i5´s are better in certain games.

The reason for this is because the intels have better single threaded performance, on which some games still relay on.

Still this depends allot from game to game.

Games like dayZ,lol,wow, arma3, skyrim, intel definitely has an edge.

But there are also games on which there is not much of a diffrence between amd and intel.

Games like crysis 3, tombraider, bioshock, farcry, BF, need for speed, grid, dirt3 etc etc

IN those games a better gpu still makes more sense.

So it highly depends on which games you play, but you can say overall the unlocked haswell i5 is better in a wider spectrum of games.

But this does not mean that a FX8320 is a bad cpu for gaming, cause its not.

Well the problem is even with that it won't be as fast as a 4690k and I still need a new Mobo...

It wont be as fast, but it will be faster than if you just buy a new mobo for 8320... that you dont even know if you need one.

Why so stubborn man? Its only a little benchmark. For facks sake man. You yourself said on empty map you dont get gpu bottleneck, so pcie lanes may not even be the source of bottleneck. I am also interested. At least try. Jeez. 

But if you want to upgrade cpu also, get a 4690k and z97-A.

if you allready own a FX8320, then its totaly not worth it to upgrade to an i5-4690K for BF4.

Any reason?

I told you in an earlier thread that you're dealing with hardware issues, the fact that your gpu's are dipping down to 20% load and your pc locking with mantle was enough to make a conclusion to troubleshoot your pc first before you upgrade. Seriously, start out with testing your memory with HCImemtest, run some prime and monitor the clock speeds with hwinfo. Run some heaven for 8 hours. etc etc.

for pure gaming i would say an i5.

Asus Z97-A is basicly a good board.

FX8320 is not a bad cpu for gaming, but the unlocked haswell i5´s are better in certain games.

The reason for this is because the intels have better single threaded performance, on which some games still relay on.

Still this depends allot from game to game.

Games like dayZ,lol,wow, arma3, skyrim, intel definitely has an edge.

But there are also games on which there is not much of a diffrence between amd and intel.

Games like crysis 3, tombraider, bioshock, farcry, BF, need for speed, grid, dirt3 etc etc

IN those games a better gpu still makes more sense.

So it highly depends on which games you play, but you can say overall the unlocked haswell i5 is better in a wider spectrum of games.

What Mobo you suggest for gaming and oc? Can the Asus z97 a do good oc or is there a better board?

if you allready own a FX8320, then its totaly not worth it to upgrade to an i5-4690K for BF4.

I do have a 8320 ATM but Mobo asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 bottlenecks my two GPUs givij me 63% usage bbf4. This is why I upgrade.

As FX Mobo would be $20 less then Intel package...

I told you in an earlier thread that you're dealing with hardware issues, the fact that your gpu's are dipping down to 20% load and your pc locking with mantle was enough to make a conclusion to troubleshoot your pc first before you upgrade. Seriously, start out with testing your memory with HCImemtest, run some prime and monitor the clock speeds with hwinfo. Run some heaven for 8 hours. etc etc.

People told me its Mobo, Intel package is $20 less so thats why I go Intel.

It wont be as fast, but it will be faster than if you just buy a new mobo for 8320... that you dont even know if you need one.

Why so stubborn man? Its only a little benchmark. For facks sake man. You yourself said on empty map you dont get gpu bottleneck, so pcie lanes may not even be the source of bottleneck. I am also interested. At least try. Jeez.

But if you want to upgrade cpu also, get a 4690k and z97-A.

Well I sent 2 months total trying to fix this, I have no clue what is the bottleneck... It seems ATM to me that its the pcie lanes not the CPU, and if the i5 is faster no reason not to upgrade for $20 more... If you can tell me what the bottleneck is then thanks tons, but so far we can only guess and this seems the most likely... Idk tell me what you think.

What do you think problem is ram is good no issues there I checked a month ago when ocing. Also I'm not home ATM so I can't test I may go out tomorrow to buy the Intel so if you know what the problem is in my current rig please tell me.

What Mobo you suggest for gaming and oc? Can the Asus z97 a do good oc or is there a better board?

Well there are allways better mobo´s offcourse but then you pay the extra price.

basicly the Asus Z97A should be fine, 8 powerphase design, should be capable of some overclocking.

I told you in your previous thread that your current board Asrock extreme 3 sucks ass, and will most likely throttle your FX8320 cpu.

Well there are allways better mobo´s offcourse but then you pay the extra price.

basicly the Asus Z97A should be fine, 8 powerphase design, should be capable of some overclocking.

Is there a better board. Options are MSI gaming 5 MMSI z97 G55 and the Asus one. Which is best? All are in +-$10

I told you in your previous thread that your current board Asrock extreme 3 sucks ass, and will most likely throttle your FX8320 cpu.

I am well aware of that... xD.

Also I tried my 2 GPUs in my friends 4670k rig with same ram and diff ram and issue was still there this is what makes my think its the pcie lanes he has a msi something 41 or 31...

i have to agree with Faa, you need to determine what is causing your crossfire issues

Pls tell me what you think with update.

I am well aware of that... xD.

Also I tried my 2 GPUs in my friends 4670k rig with same ram and diff ram and issue was still there this is what makes my think its the pcie lanes he has a msi something 41 or 31...

i have to agree with Faa, you need to determine what is causing your crossfire issues.

FX8320 can slightly bottleneck a 7950 xfire setup offcourse, but an i5 will do this aswell at a certain point.

So you basicly say that in your friends 4670K rig you sufferd from the same issues,? even with diffrent ram?

well then its obviously not your cpu.

Then it seems to me that your problem is with one of your GPU´s, Or the combination of your gpu´s dont work well together for some reason...

This could offcourse sometimes happen, if you have 2 diffrent cards, from diffrent brands.

Back to you mobo question:

Asus Z97A

Msi Z97 Gaming 5

Are both very nice boards, The Msi gaming 5 has "probably" better onboard audio but thats just a side note!

i have to agree with Faa, you need to determine what is causing your crossfire issues.

FX8320 can slightly bottleneck a 7950 xfire setup offcourse, but an i5 will do this aswell at a certain point.

So you basicly say that in your friends 4670K rig you sufferd from the same issues?

well then its obviously not your cpu.

Then it seems to me that your problem is with one of your GPU´s

Back to you mobo question:

Asus Z97A

Msi Z97 Gaming 5

Are both very nice boards, The Msi gaming 5 has "probably" better onboard audio but thats just a side note!

Yes his board also did not have full lanes I think... I think that its a G41 board. That's what leads me to think its pcie... I may be wrong. What do you think?

Yes his board also did not have full lanes I think... I think that its a G41 board. That's what leads me to think its pcie... I may be wrong. What do you think?

G41 board? That's socket 775.