practicality of 3d printing a chassis

1832vin

ok, let's cut to the chase.

i would like to have a custom case for myself, and i am adequate in 3d modeling

while i do not have a 3d printer, i plan on using something like [shapeways] to print it for me, because i need the frame to be metal.

what is the practicality of it?  i heard that 3d printing shrinks, so would the motherboard holes not be in the correct position?

Indeed the holes may get offset with normal plastic but I believe that certain types of materials don't shrink or at least don't shrink nearly as much. However, you have to understand that the material is fairly expensive and you'd probably spending some $200+ worth of materials @ $50 per kilograms. Not to mention consumer 3d printers generally have some fairly steep limitations for the size of the pieces you can make, so you'd most likely have to make pieces that need to be assembled and then you have to figure out how to make it look seamless.

It could be a cool project but it won't be cheap and it's a serious amount of work.

It would probably work (just keep in mind you'll need to make the frame yourself), BUT it would be UNBELIEVABLY expensive. You could easily buy a giant awesome case for less than it would probably cost- that includes the Enthoo Primo and Phantom 820... probably even a Cosmos 2 would be cheaper.

If you really want to do it, it'd probably work, though.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

it can definately work...

just.... expensive...

its really only worth it if you have the money, and have a specific layout that no one makes.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen