My first build

Rokhazula

1. Budget & Location
Budget is £1500, currently located within the United Kingdom.

2. Aim
Aiming for mainly Gaming (Arma, Dota 2 and new titles being released) and small-time video production/editing (YouTube) using Vegas Pro. I'll also be doing some programming but I'm sure that it should be capable of handling it. 

3. Monitors
Currently, one monitor due to desk space. Listed within the part picker. It's a 24" 1920x1080 monitor.

4. Peripherals

Listed within the Part Picker, currently going to use Windows 7, although I don't know if Windows 8.1 would be a better option.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/dZLtLk

Alongside this, I'm thinking of changing the 780 for this, link. Apparently it does much better in the benchmarking tests than the 780 and it is a lot cheaper too.

get the 290 for sure

everything else looks good to me

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

If u do really small editing, just go for the i5 4690k, and if u dont overclock, just the 4690, also the ram, if u really dont need 16gb... I would recomment a more powerful power supply, and if u wanna go with nvidia, the 780 windforce oc, if amd is good too the 290 vapor-x.

Everything else is good...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

looks good, though you can save some money and get the 4690k instead and have slightly lower performance when it comes to rendering and such.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Overall, a great build

However, if you want to OC you might want to get a better cooler

If you don't want to OC you could save some money by getting a H97 board with a non-K skew processor

The 780 is good because of CUDA - aids in the video production greatly, even compared to much better AMD GPU.

http://www.freemake.com/blog/cuda-dxva-easily-explained/

CPU is excellent for video production and upcoming games that'll use more cores

16GB of RAM isn't overkill, and it'll again help a lot with video rendering.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Yes, for sure get the R9 290, it's quite a bit cheaper and offers almost identical performance to the 780. The Tri-X for Sapphire will keep the card quite cool. Everything else looks great.

1. Budget & Location
Budget is £1500, currently located within the United Kingdom.

2. Aim
Aiming for mainly Gaming (Arma, Dota 2 and new titles being released) and small-time video production/editing (YouTube) using Vegas Pro. I'll also be doing some programming but I'm sure that it should be capable of handling it. 

3. Monitors
Currently, one monitor due to desk space. Listed within the part picker. It's a 24" 1920x1080 monitor.

4. Peripherals

Listed within the Part Picker, currently going to use Windows 7, although I don't know if Windows 8.1 would be a better option.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/dZLtLk

Alongside this, I'm thinking of changing the 780 for this, link. Apparently it does much better in the benchmarking tests than the 780 and it is a lot cheaper too.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Overall, a great build

However, if you want to OC you might want to get a better cooler

If you don't want to OC you could save some money by getting a H97 board with a non-K skew processor

The 780 is good because of CUDA - aids in the video production greatly, even compared to much better AMD GPU.

http://www.freemake.com/blog/cuda-dxva-easily-explained/

CPU is excellent for video production and upcoming games that'll use more cores

16GB of RAM isn't overkill, and it'll again help a lot with video rendering.

I'm on the side line with overclocking, once I'm comfortable with doing so I'll more than likely attempt it in the future. Alongside this, would the 290 still be capable of handling video projects, I understand that CUDA would assist greatly does the AMD GPU provide any other advantages compared to the 780?

I'm also trying to find the R9 290 on Part Picker, does any know if it is under a different name? I just want to make sure there are no compatibility/size issues.

I'm on the side line with overclocking, once I'm comfortable with doing so I'll more than likely attempt it in the future. Alongside this, would the 290 still be capable of handling video projects, I understand that CUDA would assist greatly does the AMD GPU provide any other advantages compared to the 780?

I'd suggest a Noctua NH-D15 or Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 (more for the looks), but check compatibility with your case!

Nvidia tends to have lower temps and power draw resulting in longer life for your components and less stress on your PSU, and CUDA helps a lot with performance. However, the 780 only has 3GB of VRAM compared to the 4 on the 290, so the 290 will have better performance at 4k or triple monitor setups (Doubt you're planning for that though)

The 290 will perform better in games, but the 780 will perform worlds better in content creation. Both will give you excellent gaming results at 1080p or 1440p, so the 780 is the better choice if you take video production into account.

If I'm not wrong AMD has the never settle promotion which also includes your choice of up to three games (I think) so that could save you enough money to justify the lower video production performance, or even go up to a 290X

Nvidia also has some features on their GPUs, and AMD has other features

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9 Here are the AMD features

http://www.geforce.com/hardware Nvidia features on the the left.

I'm also trying to find the R9 290 on Part Picker, does any know if it is under a different name? I just want to make sure there are no compatibility/size issues.

It's under the R9 290, no rebrands.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

You want a better psu than that Corsair. This Superflower is much better.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/super-flower-power-supply-sf550p14xehx

Corsair is a good brand - very trustable

I'll try that then, thanks.

Superflower is a lesser brand, and personally I'd go with the tried and true Corsair one

Superflower is a lesser brand, and personally I'd go with the tried and true Corsair one

Yeah that is great advice. Go for the corsair, because after all it is CORSAIR right ? Well you are wrong. The Superflower is a much better psu than the corsair Builder.

Yeah that is great advice. Go for the corsair, because after all it is CORSAIR right ? Well you are wrong. The Superflower is a much better psu than the corsair Builder.

Why? Provide evidence, other than the rating which doesn't add to the reliability of it.

Why? Provide evidence, other than the rating which doesn't add to the reliability of it.

As long as you provide evidence that Superflower is a lesser brand ? You realise that Corsair don't actually make the psu ? So your point is invalid from the start.

While CUDA used to be important in video editing work it no longer is. Newer versions of both Vegas Pro and Adobe CC/CS work with either architecture and AMD tends to perform a little better making it a much better value.

Superflower is a major manufacturer of quality psu. The CX-600 is built by CWT.

I have found no direct evidence that either the CX-600 or Golden Green HX-550 is a good cpu. One can only go on the reputation of the manufacturer and the quality of other units they have made. Whether you know it or not, Superflower is considered a superior manufacturer.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

As long as you provide evidence that Superflower is a lesser brand ? You realise that Corsair don't actually make the psu ? So your point is invalid from the start.

The PSU has been recommended countless times by tech reviewers and YouTubers like Linus himself, and has to uphold a level of quality as it is corsair branded. Super flower is a Chinese company that doesn't have much reputation, and not many people have has experience with it. Better to go with what's tried and tested.

The PSU has been recommended countless times by tech reviewers and YouTubers like Linus himself, and has to uphold a level of quality as it is corsair branded. Super flower is a Chinese company that doesn't have much reputation, and not many people have has experience with it. Better to go with what's tried and tested.

Your ignorance astounds me to be honest. I don't need to post any reviews, as @brob has kindly done it for Me. I suggest you come back when you have a bit more knowledge on good power supply manufacturers.

If they're that great why doesn't everybody use them?

Not like corsair doesn't get great reviews either

Likely because there are many people who are unwilling to make the effort to educate themselves. But also because hammers are great for driving nails. Not so got with screws.

Corsair has never built a psu. There are some Corsair psu that get great reviews. The ones discussed in this thread are not among those. Not to say that the CX line is bad. Just that there are often better choices.

Your ignorance astounds me to be honest. I don't need to post any reviews, as @brob has kindly done it for Me. I suggest you come back when you have a bit more knowledge on good power supply manufacturers.

wow way to go totally off topic and make irrelevant comments. Way to be a jackass.