Duel Ethernet Ports

niofalpha

So lets say I get a new MoBo that has 2 Ethernet ports... And my Ethernet Switch only has 100Mb/s out... Could I run 2 individual cables to my Rig and get theoretical 200Mb/s?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Couple of things, you would need a NIC that supports port multiplication (I think it's also called bonding), and the machine you're trying to access (on the same switch) has to be configured in the same way. If you have two 100mbit links on your machine but you're accessing a machine that has 1 100mbit link, you will still be limited to 100mbits. However, you will have an additional 100mbit link that can be used for other things. 

Odds are if you're switch is only a 100Mbps switch then it won't support Link Aggregation and you won't get more speed of any sort. But the second port can still be useful for, for example, connecting another wired device to your network via your PC.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Dual NICs can mean anything to improve network overall performance. Like teaming (link aggregation), load balancing and Fault tolerance. You can hopefully use one of the NICs on board to team the other NIC with it and use any teaming protocols, as long as the switch connected to it supports the same.

What switching device will your pc be connected to ? (i.e modem or switch)

Dual NICs can mean anything to improve network overall performance. Like teaming (link aggregation), load balancing and Fault tolerance. You can hopefully use one of the NICs on board to team the other NIC with it and use any teaming protocols, as long as the switch connected to it supports the same.

Switch. Just a 5 port, 15 dollar TP link one.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Come on, anyone asking why/how you could use 2 Ethernet ports from a single PC probably does not have equipment that can do LACP...

Laptop - Gigabyte P34G - 14" 1080p i7 4700HQ, nVidia 760M LiteOn 120GB mSATA, 1TB Crucial BX100, Intel AC-7260, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64
Desktop - SilverStone Fortress FT02B i5 3570K EVGA GTX 570, Intel 120GB 520,  1TB WD Black HDD, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64

Server - HP MediaSmart Server EX490, Core 2 Duo E8600, 2x WD RED 2TB, 2x WD RED 3TB, Stablebit DrivePool, 4GB Patriot DDR2 RAM, WHS 2011

Meanwhile google has no answers....... :-p

Yeah, hell I have been doing networking for years and I get kids way younger than me tell me I am wrong.

But the 5 port TP-LINK needs to be binned, because its TP-LINK. Go get a suited branded switch that noes how to handle switching and routing protocols.

Yeah, hell I have been doing networking for years and I get kids way younger than me tell me I am wrong.

Nobody was saying you were wrong. They were just saying that when someone asks questions like "what's a NAS?" the most helpful answer probably doesn't involve links to $500 RAID cards. The OP had a motherboard with 2 NICs and a 100Mbps switch. Spending $100+ on a switch that supports Link Aggregation would be a waste for the OP. The OP likely doesn't have any reason for it especially given their wish was for 200Mbps NOT 2Gbps. Their best option is to go 1Gbps and have the second NIC as a spare.

If they want more speed they should get a cheap Gigabit switch and any old cheap switch will do because it really is pocket change. If the thing does break, who cares?

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing