Folding@Home "Idle" not working

I running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. After 10 minutes, the F@screensaver kicks in (which is needed for the computer to be considered "idle" and start folding, but only for a few seconds. The protien molecule loads, but as soon as the screensaver displays my username and info and starts folding, it exits to the desktop and stops folding because the computer is no longer considered idle. I've tried reinstalling the F@client, but to no avail. I just can't get it to work. I should also add a while ago it worked fine, but I have not changed the computer configuration since then.

Any ideas?

maybe another program is being triggered to run tasks when your computer is idle too?

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

maybe another program is being triggered to run tasks when your computer is idle too?

You think it's kicking it out of the screensaver? I don't think it's that becuase it stops nealy instantly after it starts, and in order to start the computer needs to be idle for 10 minutes.

Couple of things...

Don't use the FAH screen saver.... It actually uses system cycles. Use a basic screen saver, or even a blank screen. Then try changing the time to test. Set it to 8 minutes, 5 minutes, 15 minutes...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Couple of things...

Don't use the FAH screen saver.... It actually uses system cycles. Use a basic screen saver, or even a blank screen. Then try changing the time to test. Set it to 8 minutes, 5 minutes, 15 minutes...

I was under the impression you NEEDED to use the F@screensaver in order for it to detect idle. Do I even need a screensaver? I'll probably test it later when I get a chance with just a blank screen.

I was under the impression you NEEDED to use the F@screensaver in order for it to detect idle. Do I even need a screensaver? I'll probably test it later when I get a chance with just a blank screen.

don't need a screen saver, just need your screen to go black/wait mode aka idle.

Typically, this is done by using a "screensaver" but one of the options is a blank screen, or what I use... Ribbons screen saver, as they trail across my three monitors... so pretty. :D

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Typically, this is done by using a "screensaver" but one of the options is a blank screen, or what I use... Ribbons screen saver, as they trail across my three monitors... so pretty. :D

You weren't kidding about Ribbons on 3 monitors, it looks quite fancy. Anyways, the good news is the screensaver actually runs without getting booted to the desktop. The bad news is it doesn't actually start folding when the screen saver starts.

You weren't kidding about Ribbons on 3 monitors, it looks quite fancy. Anyways, the good news is the screensaver actually runs without getting booted to the desktop. The bad news is it doesn't actually start folding when the screen saver starts.

So, let's troubleshoot folding shall we? :) How exactly do you know, that once the screensaver starts, folding is not kicking in?

So, let's troubleshoot folding shall we? :) How exactly do you know, that once the screensaver starts, folding is not kicking in?

It's set to fold with both my CPU and GPU. Once folding kicks in, my CPU kicks out a lot of heat and I can feel the hot air exhausting out of my top rad if it's folding. Also, I've manually set it to fold the past few nights, each night I've found it had rebooted to the log in screen. I checked the logs, and windows kept crashing while it was folding. I'm assuming it has something with my CPU overclocks. Would that have messed something up? I'll probably reset the voltages/clock speeds to stock before tonight and see if it makes it all the way through.

It's set to fold with both my CPU and GPU. Once folding kicks in, my CPU kicks out a lot of heat and I can feel the hot air exhausting out of my top rad if it's folding. Also, I've manually set it to fold the past few nights, each night I've found it had rebooted to the log in screen. I checked the logs, and windows kept crashing while it was folding. I'm assuming it has something with my CPU overclocks. Would that have messed something up? I'll probably reset the voltages/clock speeds to stock before tonight and see if it makes it all the way through.

Folding is VERY susceptible to failing with overclocks. First off, remove any OC's on your CPU and GPU. Then, slide the slider to full and let it fold for a few hours during the day, while you can keep an eye on it. Next, get something like HWMonitor so you can keep an eye on your temps. Need to make sure things are not overheating either.