FX 8320 vs 4670k, worthy upgrade for crossfire?

Hello,

I currently have an FX 8320 @ 4.6Ghz on an asrock 970 Extreme 3 R2.0, I'm thinking about "upgrading" to an intel CPU, because my current set up seems to be bottlenecking my two 7950s, In BF3 and 4 (the only games I really play), In some maps I get 40-60fps (ultra preset 1080p) and on others like silk road I get 90-120fps like I should. The reason why I think its a CPU Bottleneck is because when I go on an empty server and look in the same place I get nearly twice the FPS. Also my GPUs are at 63-65% load. SoI figured why not the 4670k. I can sell my FX and motherboard for $260 to a friend that wants it, and get the 4670k for $260 (that's how much it is here in Vancouver Canada, if you know a cheaper place PLEASE tell me). Now I need to get the motherboard, I was thinking about the Asus Z87-A for $105. I thought this would be a great upgrade for the money, but when I went to my firends house (he has a 4670k and a MSI motherboard that can do 4.0GHz max stable) I got same fps (with my ram and GPUs in his board). When I OC'ed his CPU even more from 4Ghz to 4.2Ghz I could only play for 3mins until blue screen but for those 3 minutes it seemed better, though not by much. My idea was that with this board and my shadow rock 2 CPU cooler I could get 4.8GHz and remove the bottleneck compleaty and get 120fps every map. Please let me know if this upgrade is worth it, or if it will make fps higher at all.

Thanks

IF it takes me a while to reply its becuase my internet is getting fixed, I'll get it working in 4 hours..

well yes you will get better performance as its a much better cpu, however that overclock your speculating is crazy, also you have a 120hz mmonitor right?

Not really worth it to upgrade. 4670K will be better, bot not really worth it.

edit: so if you're selling to a friend, go for it I guess, and dont get a 4670k, get a 4690k and Z97

Diamond 5 in League :)

My 8350 bottlenecks a GTX 780 in Skyrim, by like, a large margin. It might be worth it if the games you main are significantly CPU dependent.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

My 8350 bottlenecks a GTX 780 in Skyrim, by like, a large margin. It might be worth it if the games you main are significantly CPU dependent.

how much faster, also I will have no net for 4 hours I will repost on my Vanhalla main account

it's worth it but if all you do is play battlefield i doubt, but you should consider an i7 instead battlefield love to use more threads, hardline is the same and sure enough battlefield 5 will do the same!

I personaly went from an FX-8320 that i was also rocking at 4.6ghz (still meh) and the upgrade to the i7 is fantastic for many games out there but you do need an high end graphics solution to notice the difference, the FX was bottlenecking the GTX 780 in many games but in BF4 i was getting 95%+ GPU load so no bottleneck there but in many other games it was different.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Also any good place to get 4690k in canada, and please list 5 good z97 board for cf and oc.

What CPU TO get in canada for cf $270 or lower please lower, I will reply in 4 hours on valhalla account or make new thread.

i think what you really need is a new motherboard only. as far as i'm concerned, the ASRock 970 Extreme3 is either x16/x4 or x8/x8 in PCI-E distribution (can't remember which). now x8/x8 may not do much, but x4 is where it may be hurting. get yourself an inexpensive 990FX motherboard (like a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 or Asus M5A99FX R2.0) and you should be okay as the PCI-E 2.0 lane distribution should be equivalent to any Intel Z-series PCI-E 3.0 distribution (x16/x16 2.0 vs. x8/x8 3.0)

it might be because Skyrim is very CPU-intensive and of course the FX-8350 isn't going to help matters there. i had an R9 290 with my FX-8350 and it did nicely while I still had it. in Star Swarm Mantle, even though my 4790K does better overall, it really isn't enough to warrant an upgrade.

Desktop: CM Elite 130 - Corsair CX600M PSU - Asus Maximus VI Impact - Intel Core i7-4790K (@4.4GHz) - Corsair H80i - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 - 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB WD Red HDD

Laptop: Asus N56DP-DH11 (AMD A10-4600M - Radeon HD7730M) -------------------------------------------------------- I know, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy --------------------------------------------------------

"It's not what you drive; it's how you drive it."   ~~Jeremy Clark, TopGear

i think what you really need is a new motherboard only. as far as i'm concerned, the ASRock 970 Extreme3 is either x16/x4 or x8/x8 in PCI-E distribution (can't remember which). now x8/x8 may not do much, but x4 is where it may be hurting. get yourself an inexpensive 990FX motherboard (like a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 or Asus M5A99FX R2.0) and you should be okay as the PCI-E 2.0 lane distribution should be equivalent to any Intel Z-series PCI-E 3.0 distribution (x16/x16 2.0 vs. x8/x8 3.0)

it might be because Skyrim is very CPU-intensive and of course the FX-8350 isn't going to help matters there. i had an R9 290 with my FX-8350 and it did nicely while I still had it. in Star Swarm Mantle, even though my 4790K does better overall, it really isn't enough to warrant an upgrade.

Well the sabertooth mobo is cheapest used and its as much as the intel and the asus mobo

Also any good place to get 4690k in canada, and please list 5 good z97 board for cf and oc.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k

Cheapest motherboard with 8x/8x config for crossfire support and overclocking Z97 chipset:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xsli

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g55sli

I would personaly order this OP:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($253.79 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.79 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $383.58

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-30 20:52 EDT-0400

Direct canada is the cheapest.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

To a i5 isnt worth it imo. Minimum difference that will cost more.

I live in the same area as you and I buy from NCIX. They have stores all over the lower mainland.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

the FX is a slow chip for gaming, OP mentionned his GPu being badly bottlenecked and i have absolutely no trouble believing him as i dealed with the same issue and i upgraded my machine a couple months ago and games are world better now.

(not every game suffered from the slow FX cores, true...but many does and now it's gone.)

the FX is a slow chip for gaming, OP mentionned his GPu being badly bottlenecked and i have absolutely no trouble believing him as i dealed with the same issue and i upgraded my machine a couple months ago and games are world better now.

See I dont notice that huge of a difference between my 4.8ghz 8350 and my 4790k. I also primarily play BF4 though. I do notice a huge difference in other tasks though and also playing WoW of course.

See I dont notice that huge of a difference between my 4.8ghz 8350 and my 4790k. I also primarily play BF4 though. I do notice a huge difference in other tasks though and also playing WoW of course.

BF4 i saw ZERO difference either as my GPU was not bottlenecked by the FX chip, battlefield is an AMD game that uses a lot of light threads and it runs flawlessly on the FX. yes.

Modern Games that runs NOTICEABLY better now:

Assassin's creed blackflag, compagny of heroes 2, far cry 3, Metro Last Light, Hitman Absolution, ARMA 3...some others that i don,t really remember...tomb raider in some outside area was bad on the FX.

EVERY MMO's, RTS, RPG, INDIEs...worlds better...but i dont play those for the most part ;) LOL

I play Diablo 3 and this is running fine on the FX as well, not cpu intensive enough to notice.

I had massive town and AI mods, and Skyrim used very few cores of the 8350. It had gone to the point where my framerate dropped significantly when I looked at a town, but it remained a stable 100-ish FPS when I looked into the wild or got into a small battle.

Skyrim utilities very few cores, the 8350 has terrible core performance but great multi-threading performance, for example. The i5-4690k has amazing core performance and similar, if not better multi-threaded performance to the 8350.

In BF4, which uses 6 cores last I heard, the upgrade would be minimal, but still there. Skyrim, which uses even less, the upgrade would definitely exist.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

BF4 i saw ZERO difference either as my GPU was not bottlenecked by the FX chip, battlefield is an AMD game that uses a lot of light threads and it runs flawlessly on the FX. yes.

Single threaded and multi tasking is a huge difference though lol. Also running benchmarks. HT kicks ass and I will probably never go back :lol:

Single threaded and multi tasking is a huge difference though lol. Also running benchmarks. HT kicks ass and I will probably never go back :lol:

yes and many games love fast CPU cores...ARMA 3 was almost unplayable for me on the FX (i'm picky i really like 60FPS capped) and i was getting like 35 to 45 FPS most of the time regardless of the settings used and the GPU (GTX780) was getting like 55 to 65% load...awful...for that game ALONE it was worth it to me...but a core i3 would run this just as well...but you know...an upgrade needs to be AN UPGRADE :D

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k

Cheapest motherboard with 8x/8x config for crossfire support and overclocking Z97 chipset:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xsli

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g55sli

I would personaly order this OP:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($253.79 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.79 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $383.58

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-30 20:52 EDT-0400

Direct canada is the cheapest.

I was also looking at ebay... any good mobos and I will search on ebay?

I also nearly only play bf4, is it worth it? Also what GPU do you have? I want to upgrade so I can get rid of the bottleneck...

Modern Games that runs NOTICEABLY better now:

Assassin's creed blackflag, compagny of heroes 2, far cry 3, Metro Last Light, Hitman Absolution, ARMA 3...some others that i don,t really remember...tomb raider in some outside area was bad on the FX.

EVERY MMO's, RTS, RPG, INDIEs...worlds better...but i dont play those for the most part ;) LOL

I play Diablo 3 and this is running fine on the FX as well, not cpu intensive enough to notice.

I ONLY play bf3 and bf4, I touch a different game once in 6 months if even LOL. So I'm mainly wanting to upgrade to get no bottleneck, what do I need to obtain that?

Thanks

I also nearly only play bf4, is it worth it? Also what GPU do you have? I want to upgrade so I can get rid of the bottleneck...

I personally wouldnt spend the money to go to a i5 just for BF4. I have a 290 in both my AMD and Intel rigs. My 8350 is OC'D to 4.8ghz.

If you want to go intel and spend the money you might as well get the i7. You will at least notice the difference in other applications where the i5 would feel like a side grade.

I personally wouldnt spend the money to go to a i5 just for BF4. I have a 290 in both my AMD and Intel rigs. My 8350 is OC'D to 4.8ghz.

If you want to go intel and spend the money you might as well get the i7. You will at least notice the difference in other applications where the i5 would feel like a side grade.

Well my friend has two EVGA 780 Classified ACX and a 4770k, and he gets insaine FPS on bf4 and 99% usage on both GPUs, The question here is will I get 99% usage on both gpus BF4 multiplayer? Because if I do, he will get 20-30fps more in most places, I'm thinking about the 4690k as that's the max my budget allows, does that CPU have hyper threading? Also would I get 99% usage becuase with the FX I only get 63-65% usage...

Edit: My FX is at 4.6Ghz on that crappy mobo.

Well my friend has two EVGA 780 Classified ACX and a 4770k, and he gets insaine FPS on bf4 and 99% usage on both GPUs, The question here is will I get 99% usage on both gpus BF4 multiplayer? Because if I do, he will get 20-30fps more in most places, I'm thinking about the 4690k as that's the max my budget allows, does that CPU have hyper threading? Also would I get 99% usage becuase with the FX I only get 63-65% usage...

Edit: My FX is at 4.6Ghz on that crappy mobo.

The i5 doesn't have HT. It will not bottleneck the GPU's.

Well my friend has two EVGA 780 Classified ACX and a 4770k, and he gets insaine FPS on bf4 and 99% usage on both GPUs, The question here is will I get 99% usage on both gpus BF4 multiplayer? Because if I do, he will get 20-30fps more in most places, I'm thinking about the 4690k as that's the max my budget allows, does that CPU have hyper threading? Also would I get 99% usage becuase with the FX I only get 63-65% usage...Edit: My FX is at 4.6Ghz on that crappy mobo.

Is your second pcie slot x8 or x4?

The i5 doesn't have HT. It will not bottleneck the GPU's.

So the FX does bottleneck and the i5 won't? If this is true I buy asap! Cause I can get nearly 2x fps (What people are getting).

Is your second pcie slot x8 or x4?

I think 4x not sure I have the asrock 970 extreme 3 R2.0, and a motherboard upgrade will cost me nearly the same as a whole intel CPU upgrade.. I will have a asrock board that no one will want xD

So the FX does bottleneck and the i5 won't? If this is true I buy asap! Cause I can get nearly 2x fps (What people are getting).

It appears in your case it does but It shouldn't imo. BF4 is gpu intensive and that chip should be fine. My 8350 has 0 issues in BF4. I know lots of people running crossfire/sli with AMD chips and no issues in BF4.

I think 4x not sure I have the asrock 970 extreme 3 R2.0, and a motherboard upgrade will cost me nearly the same as a whole intel CPU upgrade.. I will have a asrock board that no one will want xD

Then go intel. Sounds like you want to make the switch eventually anyway. No time like the present!! :lol:

It appears in your case it does but It shouldn't imo. BF4 is gpu intensive and that chip should be fine. My 8350 has 0 issues in BF4. I know lots of people running crossfire/sli with AMD chips and no issues in BF4.

That's funny I get 65% usage??? Also got that on my friends MSI G41 mobo and the i5 4670k at 4.0... what could it be?

Then go intel. Sounds like you want to make the switch eventually anyway. No time like the present!! :lol:

Present?

Present?

Like now. Occurring at this point in time?

That's funny I get 65% usage??? Also got that on my friends MSI G41 mobo and the i5 4670k at 4.0... what could it be?

So u tried it with an i5 and had the same issues?