Do I trade in my Mid tier SLI config for single high tier card?

ThyNameisWAR

I have a pair of Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB Windforce cards and gaming on them is phenomenal, But I've encountered a problem I didn't think would annoy me that much initial but has started to: Acoustics. They're too loud even when idle. I'm recent PC gamer convert but the idea of gaming in general doesn't really appeal to me anymore when I have school, work and wife and child to take of ( I know blasphemy). I'm looking probably downsize to an ITX later. but right I really need to eliminate the noise coming from system. I'm trying to break even so that's why I haven't gone with the 290x or the 780ti. System specs are in my profile.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-VAPOR-X-PCI-Express-Graphics-11227-04-40G/dp/B00JJJW4Z2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409436668&sr=8-2&keywords=sapphire+r9+290

or

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-384-Bit-Graphics-06G-P4-3787-KR/dp/B00K699CRW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409436794&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+gtx+780+6gb

Yes good idea 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I got one with the intention of getting a second. It was an error on my part believing that since the Mars 760 matched the titan I figured a pair of 760's with more VRAM would be better. Rookie mistake.

if you really wanna go down to mitx then yes i think you should sell the 2 760's you have and go for maybe a 780 or 290 (if youre playing at 1080 that is :P)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I'm currently playing at 2560x1600 with my 760's at a respectable 45+ fps with it and 60+fps in some older games. Since a some of the current games use more VRAM vs actual processing power of GPU. I figured I could cut down on noise whilst getting similar performance. Since my AMD cards are unable to use Physx (I'm a sucker for detailed explosions) and I only have an i5 running at stock speeds I'll be going with he 780 6GB. ASUS Strix or EVGA version?

I think a trade up to a single higher card is worth it, but I wouldn't trade up to a 780. That's more a drop in performance I believe.

I'd wait for the next round of cards to see what they bring, if they are indeed being announced in a few weeks like everyone believes. That's what I'm doing. I'll be going from my 760 SLI to a single 880/980/whatever they decide to call it.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

I'm aware of the performance drop but it isn't too significant when gaming at 1080p resolution plus if the next models pricing are any indication of what the current models were when they were first released I'd be paying an extra 200-300 bucks for a reference 880. at least with EVGA I could upgrade within 90 of purchase with their step up program in the performance is really that great.