AMD vs Intel and Crossfire 7950s

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

Okay thanks, I guess I just go for Intel what's a Intel CPU that would be better?

The cpu probably has nothing to do with it, especially if usage is under 100%. Going with intel would grant you a marginal improvement in exchange for a lot of money. Before you do any more steps after the tests you made I advise you wait until you can try the crossfire setup at your friend's home with his i5. If the results are similar, the cpu isn't the problem and in fact it's probably just how bf4 handles crossfire that's causing your problems and you don't need to worry about it.

Low fps with 4.6ghz 10gb ram... Seige of shanghai is better with 1 card and other maps only do 60-90fps.

I'm tying op locker 64p no explosions tdm with 10gb 4.6ghz power limit 20% no wait PC froze with mantle, I will try stock CPU.

When you do your tests, you cannot change more than 1 variable at a time.  When you start changing more than 1 variable, you have to throw the data out because it is no longer consistent.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

When you do your tests, you cannot change more than 1 variable at a time. When you start changing more than 1 variable, you have to throw the data out because it is no longer consistent.

I know that, that's why I will try stock CPU everything else same.

I know that, that's why I will try stock CPU everything else same.

Maybe I misread, but it sounded like you were changing variables up constantly.  V-Sync on and off.  One card enabled, two cards enabled, 6GB of RAM or 10GB of RAM, switching between 4.4Ghz and 4.6Ghz.  You have to methodically test each variable independently to see how the performance is changed and narrow it down to the root of the problem.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Maybe I misread, but it sounded like you were changing variables up constantly. V-Sync on and off. One card enabled, two cards enabled, switching between 4.4Ghz and 4.6Ghz. You have to methodically test each variable independently to see how the performance is changed and narrow it down to the root of the problem.

Okay, now stock FX two cards op locker 64p conquest mantle 10gb ram. No msi afterburner becuase PC freezes with mantle and that. Will say results in 5 mins.

Maybe I misread, but it sounded like you were changing variables up constantly. V-Sync on and off. One card enabled, two cards enabled, 6GB of RAM or 10GB of RAM, switching between 4.4Ghz and 4.6Ghz. You have to methodically test each variable independently to see how the performance is changed and narrow it down to the root of the problem.

50-90fps.

50-90fps.

I'm done with you.  I have been incredibly patient but you are not cooperating with my helping you trouble shoot.  Good luck.

50-90fps.

try again with one card, then try 2 cards with mantle and one card with mantle (I know mantle is giving you other issues, but if it solves the core problem it would prove that the problem is on the game's side and not on your hardware).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm done with you.  I have been incredibly patient but you are not cooperating with my helping you trouble shoot.  Good luck.

check the post above the one you answered, he listed the variables he used

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

check the post above the one you answered, he listed the variables he used

I saw that, but he is still switching more than 1 variable at a time.  It took him an hour and 20 minutes to finally run BF4 with V-sync on.  I've been patient, I tried.  I'm washing my hands of it.  Best of luck @Valhalla I do hope you get it figured out, but my patience has worn through.

I saw that, but he is still switching more than 1 variable at a time. It took him an hour and 20 minutes to finally run BF4 with V-sync on. I've been patient, I tried. I'm washing my hands of it. Best of luck @Valhalla I do hope you get it figured out, but my patience has worn through.

Okay thanks, I guess I just go for Intel what's a Intel CPU that would be better?

try again with one card, then try 2 cards with mantle and one card with mantle (I know mantle is giving you other issues, but if it solves the core problem it would prove that the problem is on the game's side and not on your hardware).

What results should I see to confirm that its the games fault?

The cpu probably has nothing to do with it, especially if usage is under 100%. Going with intel would grant you a marginal improvement in exchange for a lot of money. Before you do any more steps after the tests you made I advise you wait until you can try the crossfire setup at your friend's home with his i5. If the results are similar, the cpu isn't the problem and in fact it's probably just how bf4 handles crossfire that's causing your problems and you don't need to worry about it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Okay thanks

If mantle gives you a significant fps boost (like 50% more) and gpu usage is more constant and higher (you can use the in-game overlay of msi afterburner to check this if alt-tabbing causes a crash) then it's the game's (and more specifically the directx implememtation in the game's) fault. If the increase is small (10-15%) we can't be sure if it's the game's fault with only this test. Another thing: if framerate drops only happen in some maps and not in others, it's probably the game's fault but it's not 100% sure.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If mantle gives you a significant fps boost (like 50% more) and gpu usage is more constant and higher (you can use the in-game overlay of msi afterburner to check this if alt-tabbing causes a crash) then it's the game's (and more specifically the directx implememtation in the game's) fault. If the increase is small (10-15%) we can't be sure if it's the game's fault with only this test. Another thing: if framerate drops only happen in some maps and not in others, it's probably the game's fault but it's not 100% sure.

Mantle does not do much, in game over lay won't work still crashes, but it does not net many fps. Some maps give much higher (like 1.75x more fPS) than others, is it hardware or game? I'm installing Crysis 3 ATM so I will test that out also.

Mantle does not do much, in game over lay won't work still crashes, but it does not net many fps. Some maps give much higher (like 1.75x more fPS) than others, is it hardware or game? I'm installing Crysis 3 ATM so I will test that out also.

If some maps give much higher framerates I'd say it's the game, test crysis 3 and see how that goes

sudo chmod -R 000 /*