Using an Asus X99 Motherboard will maybe lose the Warranty of your CPU

Mystorius_
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Okidoki, to (help) keep this from causing more confusion, I'm

consolidating these two posts and marking them as best answer

for thread so that people can easily see.

Thread will be left open though in case people want to discuss

more.

The rumor is false :)

1)      At stock speeds the special sauce is not active – so people that don’t want to use it don’t have to worry.

2)      When overclocked, the things we are doing still fall under the banner of overclocking. Nothing changes and any Intel protection plan would still be honored as usual overclocking.

3) We have been using similar tricks via other methods for years on our boards. Here we used it via socket pads as it made sense for some of the things we found.

Hey,

this News in only in German http://www.computerbase.de/2014-08/asus-x99-mainboards-mehr-pins-oc-sockel-garantie-intel/ but if its true you will quickly see it in English (at least I hope so).

As far as I can tell, these Motherboards are affected:

"Rampage V Extreme" „X99-Deluxe“ (confirmed?) and maybe: „X99-E WS“ „X99-A“ und „X99-PRO

The Reason: Asus uses modified Sockets with more than 2.011 pins and didn't get the approval from Intel, and if you use these motherboards you will lose the Warranty on your CPU (that's my summarize, it might not be correct)

Edit:

Official Statement from Asus:

"1. Has the OC-Socket been co-developed with or validated by Intel?

No, this is ASUS feature, just like our power design or the rest of ASUS features. We are dedicated to provide the best to our users as always. This feature went through very comprehensive testing and validate in ASUS lab and we have no doubt because we know and guarantee it’s fully compatible with all Intel LGA2011-3 CPUs

2. Will ASUS cover the warranty if there is a compatibility issue with CPU or if the design damages the CPU?

Our warranty policy principle will be the same, if any issue happen DURING NORMAL AND PROPER USE, we will take care of it. However, we are fully confident about the compatibility and this feature won’t damage the CPU during normal and proper use.

Asus"

Moar overclocking! :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

How will they prove you used said boards?

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Moar overclocking! :D

Yeah 2.2V xD but not only "overclockers" buy these Motherboards (if all is true and confirmed) 

I guess they're able to tell from the damage caused?

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

The article continues with:

Asus betonte gegenüber ComputerBase, Probleme mit dem eigens entwickelten Sockel erwarte man keine, sollten im „normalen und angemessenen“ Einsatz jedoch welche auftauchen, übernimmt Asus die Garantie.

Asus told ComputerBase that they did not expect any problems to arise from the use of the non-reference socket. However, should a CPU be damaged during "normal and reasonable" use, Asus would honour the warranty on the parts.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

What damage...

No damage is caused...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

In the article they say you can see it easily at the CPU itself (take a look at the second picture)

But what damage can it cause?

It's probably written in the article however I don't really understand German nor the language Google translates it to.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Yeah 2.2V xD but not only "overclockers" buy these Motherboards (if all is true and confirmed) 

That's not really an issue. How many times have you heard of someone RMAing their intel CPU?

I have been here many months and never heard of it happening.

Spoiler

Asus told ComputerBase that they did not expect any problems to arise from the use of the non-reference socket. However, should a CPU be damaged during "normal and reasonable" use, Asus would honour the warranty on the parts.

But still why would the do that and what is "normal usage" :) 

Who really will know but your self anyways? Unless you rat yourself out to intel if anything happens to your CPU. Then thats your own fault.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

"So they Say"

In the article they say you can see it easily at the CPU itself (take a look at the second picture)

Aha, so it's physical damage to the CPU itself, that's what I wanted to know, thanks.

You can see the minor scratches on the contact pads from the socket pins here:

2.jpg

So yeah, they just need to look at the bottom of the CPU to tell if the modified socket was used.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

As far as I can tell from the German forum these "Test-Pins" are not new, Pentium and Haswell had them as well, but Asus claims (or the article does) that you can put more Power on the CPU (2.2V). Normally these Pins are there for "Testing and Error-Analyzing" so they are not capable of transmitting more power to the CPU. Either there are some changes inside the Haswell-E CPU's (I cant tell, these Datasheets are hell complicated) or this is just a marketing "gag" from Asus (but i would doubt that, because loosing your warranty will be a reason for some to not by these boards)

That's not really an issue. How many times have you heard of someone RMAing their intel CPU?

I have been here many months and never heard of it happening.

My family had to do it once. We had such a powerful lightning storm the breaker, the plug surge protector, and the UPS surge protector failed, the mosfets on the board exploded, and the CPU was fried. Still, crazy situation and Intel honored the RMA after we provided statements from our power company. Good thing too as it was one of the early (expensive) Xeons.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

As far as I can tell from the German forum these "Test-Pins" are not new, Pentium and Haswell had them as well, but Asus claims (or the article does) that you can put more Power on the CPU (2.2V). Normally these Pins are there for "Testing and Error-Analyzing" so they are not capable of transmitting more power to the CPU. Either there are some changes inside the Haswell-E CPU's (I cant tell, these Datasheets are hell complicated) or this is just a marketing "gag" from Asus (but i would doubt that, because loosing your warranty will be a reason for some to not by these boards)

Yeah, especially when we are talking about losing the warranty on a 400-1000 dollar part.

Yeah, especially when we are talking about losing the warranty on a 400-1000 dollar part.

The top 18-Core Xeon will probably cost ~$3000 too :P

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The top 18-Core Xeon will probably cost ~$3000 too :P

Yeah, I'd forgotten about those ones. Although you probably won't be looking for a "Republic of Gamers" motherboard if you are running a server. Heck, you'd probably be looking at a dual-socket motherboard.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about those ones. Although you probably won't be looking for a "Republic of Gamers" motherboard if you are running a server. Heck, you'd probably be looking at a dual-socket motherboard.

If you think Asus won't use the same socket on all its boards you underestimate their stupidity.

My family had to do it once. We had such a powerful lightning storm the breaker, the plug surge protector, and the UPS surge protector failed, the mosfets on the board exploded, and the CPU was fried. Still, crazy situation and Intel honored the RMA after we provided statements from our power company. Good thing too as it was one of the early (expensive) Xeons.

But that was not the CPU failing, that was caused by a power surge...

It's not like you buy a intel CPU and it fails on its own. Never heard of that happening.

Spoiler

But that was not the CPU failing, that was caused by a power surge...

It's not like you buy a intel CPU and it fails on its own. Never heard of that happening.

I mean, eventually it will due to entropy, but yeah they should never fail under normal usage.